Book Hauls!

Re: Recent Buys

I just placed a big order with a book club (two, actually; about 12-14 books in all), but I will refrain from listing those here until they arrive. I also did two bookstore trips.

A few highlights of purchases from the last week includes:

0696221152.01._PE32_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Self-explanatory, I think.

1585674028.01._PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I'm not sure how dry this one will be, but the bits I skimmed looked promising.

546937_lg.jpg

Philip K. Dick is genius. Sadly, I have none of his short story collections. This will rectify that.

633511_lg.jpg

The premise really grabbed me, plus it's a genre "classic" I have yet to get to.

Yesterday I dropped by a great used bookstore and picked up the following:

MALAFRENA - Ursula Le Guin
LUCIFER'S HAMMER - Niven & Pournelle
THE TOWERS OF TORON - Samuel Delaney
CITY OF A THOUSAND SUNS - Samuel Delaney
STARSHIP TROOPERS - Big Bob H.
DAMNATION ALLEY - Roger Zelazny
THE ANDROMEDA STRAIN - Mikey C.
CHARIOTS OF THE GODS - Erich Von Danken

Total price? $12

I put back another half-dozen books, since I was dipping into my gas money.

I also got a 20-volume Golden Book Encyclopedia set from 1989 for $15. Yay!

There was an offer on at the book club so I got a small order :D

Haunted - Kelley Armstrong
Shadowmarch - Tad Williams
Firethorn - Sarah Micklem

Well I haven't bought anything as of yet this week (possibly this weekend) I have good news on the much appreciated advanced reader copy front which will include John C. Wright's Orphans of Chaos and Hal Duncan's heavily anticipated debut Vellum, and not confirmed yet, but possibly Jeffrey Ford's Girl in the Glass.

They represent 3 of the books I am anticipating the most coming out later this year, so I can't complain about this week.

Went to Borders on Sunday and got:

Saint Vidicon to the Rescue by Christopher Stasheff

I would have gotten more books but I couldn't remember the ones that I had looked at and wanted when I looked on Amazon.

Haven't bought any new books in a while... Credit card is maxed!!! :mad:

But might see about Chainfire by Terry Goodkind... Definitely getting the latest Raymond E Feist book when it is published... Waiting for Eldest by Christopher Paolini...

Other than that, I might have to visit the local Market to see if I can get hold of some old books... :D

(Yeah, okay I always said I was too much of a snob to do it, but I seem to be mellowing!!! Might even visit a charity shop or two!!!) :eek:

Bah, i love checking out markets and used book stores! i've been clearing a couple i found recently out of their Piers Anthonys. i got all of the Bio of a Space Tyrant series, the Tarot series, the Of Man and Manta trilogy, the first two Virtual Modes and a couple of his hilarious one off sci fi books (like the one about a dentist who gets abducted by aliens and made to fix alien cavities! sigh, i love Piers!)
other than that i just walk around randomly pulling out books that catch my eye. i've found some great ones and it's not a risk at $6 or $7! if you don't like it you can just sell it back anyway...

I'm so envious, there is a decent 2nd hand store near me :(

i'm so happy, because i haven't had one near me for years. so to find TWO just around the corner from my new place was so exciting! i grew up running around my mum's used book store so they hold a sentimental thing for me too. that and the fact that i can walk out with 7 Piers Anthony's for the price of a new hard cover!

A few buys from the 2nd-hand stores - they really are the best thing around.

The Shuttered Room and other Tales of Terror by HP Lovecraft and Augst Derleth.

Even though the cover bears HPL's name, it's clear to see he has little to do with the writing of these derivative, formulaic tales. Derleth would often take a sentence or two from HPL's published and unpublished works, maybe a quote fromthe Necronomicon, and spin out a tale which could then have the HPL tag affixed to it. The stories themselves rarely even reach the heights of supercharged melodrama HPL is both loved and reviled for - Derleth is really at his best only when describing scenery, but at such times he achieves an evocative lucidity far superior to similar passages by HPL. All in all, a very minor collection of little interest to anyone but a confirmed Mythos buff.

Space by the Tale - Jerome Bixby

Bixby was a minor sf writer in the 50s and 60s. He's best known for the chilling tale, 'It's a good life', which was also made into a Twilight Zone episode. That story isn't included in this collection. Bixby was a competent writer, and a fan of the Saki-esque twist in the tale. Minor stuff, again, but entertaining and made even more worthwhile by the distinctive Richard Powers cover art:

Last edited:

I've over indulged this month and bought some more books :)

The Gift - Alison Croggon
The Riddle - Alison Croggon
Drowned Wednesday - Garth Nix
The Named - Marianne Curley

Last shopping trip was about C.D.Simak :)
Out of their minds
Mastodonia
Special Deliverance
Highway to Eternity
Our Children's Children
Why Call them Back from Heaven?
A Choise of Gods
A Heritage of Stars
Cosmic Engineers
Empire
+ one new novel from russian author

Just found out I'm getting a forthcoming nvoel by Ian R. Macleod sent to me. I'm not sure whcih one, but I'm presuming maybe 'Summer Isle'; in any case it's good news.:)

jenna said:
i'm so happy, because i haven't had one near me for years. so to find TWO just around the corner from my new place was so exciting! i grew up running around my mum's used book store so they hold a sentimental thing for me too. that and the fact that i can walk out with 7 Piers Anthony's for the price of a new hard cover!
What else did you expect from the world's most liveable city??....;)

I'm currently reading The Ahsuak Chronicles by Aussie author Tony Shillitoe that a friend loaned me and quite enjoying it so far..:D

More recent buys inlcude:
Paul Kearney's Monarchies Of God series (good stuff!)
Runes Of The Earth - Stehpen Donaldson (T Covenant rules!)
Tales Of Mystery and imagination - Edgar Allan Poe
Legends II - collection of fantasy short stories.

Over and out...:D

Just coming from second hand market :
John Varley's The Ophiuchi hotline
Robert Silverberg and Karen Haber's Mutant season.

Did a littel shoppign today, I had some of them already but they were showing some wear in those cases (not including pre-orders):

Galveston - Sean Stewart

Helliconia Spring - Brian Aldis
Hellicona Summer - Brian Ladis ( I uncharacteristicaly let someone borrow my copies and they came back witha corner bent which is simply unacceptable)

The Skinner - Neal Asher

Innocents Aboard - Gene Wolfe

Heat of Fusion - John M. Ford

Dark Sister - Graham Joyce

King of the City - Michael Moorcock (found me a first print)

The Risen Empire - Scott Westerfeld

Dreamside - Graham Joyce

Smoking Poppy - Graham Joyce

The Monsters of St Helena - Brooks Hansen

Jay, do you read incredibly fast or do you never leave your house????? (LOL)

I always buy a ton of books as I never know what I am going to want to read next. It means I always have something worthy close at hand.

Went a little nuts this weekend & bought:

The Last Guardian by David Gemmell
Lion of Macedon by David Gemmell
Homeward Bound by Harry Turtledove

read two of them already *sigh*

Jay, do you read incredibly fast or do you never leave your house????? (LOL)

Hey Gary:) This is a buy list, not necessarily a read list.

However, I read a lot at the beach, which it outside my door, so indeed I go out everyday:) I don't have any daily responsibilities so I'm able to get what I want done. I live in a summer toursit town, so indulging myself is something don't miss out on:)

Regarding reading fast, it depends, it's hard to judge how fast one reads because I'm not sure what the average rate for a person is. Generally I can finish a book like Martin's Storm of Swords (I think 1100 pages or so) in about 4-5 hours if I am both not rushing, and also not interrupted by too many phone calls etc.

I can't say I'm a fast reader, but I have never met anyone who has read noticeably faster, but on the flip side, generally I do think others are pretty slow readers.