Book Hauls!

Spacetime Donuts - Rudy Rucker
The Hacker and the Ants - Rudy Rucker
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - Jack Finney
Special Deliverance - Simak
Earthsea 1-3 - Le Guin

I'll second DeepThought on Dune Messiah...it's every bit as meaty and full of thought (if not more so), but a different kind, and in more concentrated form....
Dune Messiah was what made reading Dune finally worthwhile for me. I thought Dune had some great concepts but was thoroughly unimpressed by the characters and general writing style. DM having its world-building work done concentrated on those aspects, and delivered the strong story and empathetic characters that I had been missing in its predecessor.

Downbelow Statation - C.J Cherryh
Brilliance of the Moon - Lian Hearn
Over Sea, Under Stone - Susan Cooper

I really really wanted the second book in Faded Sun series by C.J Cherryh yesterday when i went to my bookshop. The hole reason i was there. Downblow Station was just the back up and cause i had to have more Cherryh now ! :D

Is that your first Cherryh in the Alliance/Union universe, (apart from the link through Sten Duncan, I mean), Conn?

Is that your first Cherryh in the Alliance/Union universe, (apart from the link through Sten Duncan, I mean), Conn?

Yep its my first real Alliance/Union universe book.

Faded Sun is in the same universe i saw but i doubt its about the same thing as in Downblow series.

The different series in Alliance/Union universe isnt really connected storywise right ?

I mean Company Wars,Cyteen,Faded Sun etc ?

I dont mind small connection through history but i wouldnt like if they had similer stories cause of the same universe.

The Sten Duncan remark is that a reference to Faded Sun ? I have read only book so i got itchy being scared Sten spoiler :p

The different series in Alliance/Union universe isnt really connected storywise right ?

I mean Company Wars,Cyteen,Faded Sun etc ?
Yes, they're all connected, some looser than others.

Alliance-Union universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(No real spoilers)

I dont mind small connection through history but i wouldnt like if they had similer stories cause of the same universe.

The Sten Duncan remark is that a reference to Faded Sun ? I have read only book so i got itchy being scared Sten spoiler :p

No, it's not really a spoiler...see link above....:)

Yes, they're all connected, some looser than others.

Alliance-Union universe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(No real spoilers)

No, it's not really a spoiler...see link above....:)

This puts my mind at ease about this :

"Cherryh has stated that with one exception, the books set in the Alliance-Union universe can be read in any order, "just like real history." [1] The exception she notes are the two novels Heavy Time and Hellburner, which should be read in that order (as originally published and as compiled together in the omnibus edition Devil to the Belt). The two are prequels to Downbelow Station, although they can be read either before or after that novel. "

Meaning i can read the different series without worrying about the orders,the connections.

Makes it a lot easier, when you're not trying to find them to an order...:D

I dont care about the order really.

I was worried that their common history might spoil The Mri wars books for me. Now i can read Downbelow without thinking about the potential connection to Faded Sun.

The series i care most about of hers right now.

Today I ordered...

The Faery Reel edited by Terri Windling and Ellen Datlow
Nocturnes by John Connolly
Mortal Love by Elizabeth Hand
The Ladies of Grace Adieu and Other Stories by Susanna Clarke

Finally tracked down a copy (the Baen Books edition) of A Civil Campaign, by Lois McMaster Bujold, which completes my set of the Vorkosigan novels.:D

Mind you, I've no idea who that's supposed to be on the quite dreadful cover...too tall for Miles, too thin for Mark, and the uniform colours are totally wrong.
I suppose it's asking too much to expect cover artists to actually read the books they're supposed to illustrate.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I think that half the time they don't even get the chance to read the books - they often get a synopsis from the publishers - and authors rarely get a look in to the cover art -- its a great shame as cover art is very important

3 for 2 is bad - it makes me get more books – but at discount ;)
picked up:
The Bone Hunters : Steven Erikson – even though I am not near to the book yet its one I will be reading and it was book 1 of 3
The Red Wolf Conspiracy: Robert V.S. Redick – not to do with wolves (or so I think from the back) but its interesting to say the least in concept – another chrons suggestion! And book 2 of 3
Odalisque : Fiona McIntosh – never heard of her before, but a comment by Hobb on the front adds to my choice
Emissary: Fiona McIntosh – well this was the free book in the deal, but as it was book 2 in the series I needed book 1 ;)

I suppose it's asking too much to expect cover artists to actually read the books they're supposed to illustrate.:rolleyes:

I'm reminded of a story about Virgil Finlay (iirc), who would often get the proofs of the stories he was supposed to illustrate for several pulp magazines less than a week before the illustrations were due. Needless to say, a week without sleep, doing the sort of work Finlay did (quite frequently extremely demanding techniques and a great deal of polish and skill -- not to mention talent), sometimes didn't allow for any reading of the material beyond a brief scan... if that.

And, from my understanding, there are still many cases where that sort of thing hasn't really changed.....

And I've gone and ordered a few things myself:

Plutarch's Lives (the Dryden and Clough translation)
The Second Treatise of Government and A Letter Concerning Toleration, by John Locke
Selected Federalist Papers
Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God and Other Puritan Sermons
Thus Spake Zarathustra and The Genealogy of Morals, by Nietzsche
and Books and Reading: A Book of Quotations, from which the following is taken:

It is from books that wise men derive consolation in the troubles of life. -- Victor Hugo

Every man who knows how to read has it in his power to magnify himself, to multiply the ways in which he exists, to make his life full, significant, and interesting. -- Aldous Huxley

To which I must say I heartily agree....

Most of these are replacements for other copies (or editions) that I no longer have, but a couple of them are new additions....

A couple of days of light reading, jd, before you get to the serious stuff?:D

Found Tanya Huff's 4 Quarter books in 2 omnibuses and picked up a new Rob Thurman book, Madhouse (following Nightlife and Moonshine)

I've got or odered a couple hundred new books to stock up my new library, mainly literature classics and completion of the Sf Masterwork series. Too many to list, so wait a few more weeks and I'll post some pics of my latest creation.

As a result I've ended up with some duplicates when I put my largish collection on my newly built shelves. As a consequence there's one lucky cat who is going to be licking her whiskers fairly soon....;)

Eva Fairdeath by Tanith Lee, a discard from my local library.

Has anybody here read this? I've never picked up any of the author's works, but this one was cheap enough to give it a try.

Went into a charity shop today and as usual I gravitated towards the books (it's an involuntary motion now, I swear...) and picked up a book I've been looking for for quite a few years now (it's one of those where you want it, but every time you're browsing Amazon or something, it slips your mind...) so, for a mere 50p, I bought The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.