Book Hauls!

Went into a charity shop today and as usual I gravitated towards the books (it's an involuntary motion now, I swear...) and picked up a book I've been looking for for quite a few years now (it's one of those where you want it, but every time you're browsing Amazon or something, it slips your mind...) so, for a mere 50p, I bought The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

With your obligations, it'll probably be a bit before you get to that one, but I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on it....

Five weeks of Easter Holiday coming up very soon. A good chance for university work (hmm); a great chance to read until my eyes fall out.

Eva Fairdeath by Tanith Lee, a discard from my local library.

Has anybody here read this?

Tanith Lee is, in my opinion, one of the most talented authors writing today. But she's very prolific and the quality of her work ... varies.

I've never read Eva Fairdeath and I don't know whether it's one of her best or worst, but I envy you the opportunity to find out, since it's not available over here.

Sharp Teeth - Toby Barlow
The Ninth Configuration - Blatty
Critical Encounters: Writers and Themes in Science Fiction - various
Shallow Graves - Rev. Goat Carson
Enchanted Pilgrimage - Simak
Return From the Stars - Lem
The Golden Helix - Sturgeon

Just bought book 3 and 4 of View From the Mirror series by Ian Irvine. Enjoyed the first two well enough and I have to support my fellow Australians. The biggest problem I have with Irvine is his use of exclamation marks! Maybe the characters are more excited than I give them credit for.

Went into a charity shop today and as usual I gravitated towards the books (it's an involuntary motion now, I swear...) and picked up a book I've been looking for for quite a few years now (it's one of those where you want it, but every time you're browsing Amazon or something, it slips your mind...) so, for a mere 50p, I bought The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins.

Peanuts for a treasure! It's one of the timeless classics, extraordinarily well-written and the characters are extraodinarily well-drawn. The brilliant Count Fosco remains my top favourite villain! If you come across Wilkie Collin's Moonstone or Armadale for 50p even 500p, get them too, you won't regret. :)

Recently bought King's Lisey's Story and The Complete Novel of Jane Austen.

How did you find this? Mine is an old, old battered copy I've had for a long while and am not sure where it case from exactly. Such an odd little story.

I found it at half price books here in Seattle. It is a perfect, mint, first edition - got it for only $4!

The clerk couldn't believe it, someone made a pretty big mistake. I've been looking for it for ages. One of the best books I've ever read.

Speaking of mistakes, I recently ordered a copy of Rudy Rucker's The Secret of Life. I paid $5 for a copy from the Amazon marketplace.

I was sent a mint conditioned, HB, signed copy, with a price of $50 written on the first page.

:)

I loved Ninth Configuration too. A sad book. Very well written.

Yeah - it's fantastic.

I posted a review for it here.

It seems apparent to me that Blatty was reading, or had read, C.S. Lewis' Mere Christianity, because he uses many of Lewis' arguments for the existence of the Christian God in his own book. I love how Kane takes on a Christ-like life, and through his actions he demonstrates what he believes in. Very powerful stuff, and incredibly well written.

Just received a notification from Amazon UK. Joe Abercrombie's The Last Argument of Kings is on its way to me today. Woohoo. Should be here by the 25th of this month. Keep your fingers crossed.

In the last fortnight

The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
The Happy Prince and other Stories - Oscar Wilde
The Centauri Device - M John Harrison
Pollen - Jeff Noon
Orwell and the Dispossesed - George Orwell
10 book collection by Gabriel Garcia Marquez(brand new for £6)
Slaughterhouse 5(in french) - Kurt Vonnegut

All for less than £15

Well! Received in the mail today a surprise package: One copy of the Unicorn Fantasy edition of Moorcock's The Jade Man's Eyes, with art by James Cawthorn, courtesy of Who's Wee Dug....

(Thank you, WWD! Much appreciated....:))

Most recently, last weekend, I bought:

One Hundred Years of Solitude, Gabriel Garcia Marquez
The Mists of Avalon, Marion Zimmer Bradley
Amerika, Franz Kafka
Never in Anger, Jean Briggs
The Afterlife is Where We Come From, Alma Gottleib

I went into the bookstore to get the last 2 for my anthropology midterm, but then realized that my university bookstore had a very nice selection of used books, so I ended up buying the other 3.