Book Hauls!

knivesout said:
It is pretty cool, and almost pathologically quotable!
And if there was ever a King book where it was evident that the guy was writing about something he actually knows and loves and not just for the advance, this is it.

@Prime Evil

I have a very worn copy of that...need to actually read it through.
It had King's Night Flyer as I recall, a story I somehow couldn't care much for although Ravi keeps telling me it's not as bad as I make it out to be. It also had some cannibal story ([size=-1]Having a Woman at Lunch)[/size]which was totally idiotic and made me want to slaughter the person who wrote it. I have yet to read the others, there's a Starub story in there and a Ligotti as well...lazy ******* me.

knivesout said:
The book also includes a story by M John Harrison - which ought to be good.
Ho I dug out my copy and just finished reading the Harrison story (The Great God Pan, same name as the Machen classic)...quite brilliantly written, am sure you will enjoy it.

Just ordered signed copies of "The Healthy Dead", "The Devil Delivered" and "Fishin' with Grandma Matchie" from amazon:D

Sorry for diverging from the hauls aspect but I read Clive Barker's story from Prime Evil and while it won't knock your socks off it is a very well-written story and worth the read.

Picked up for cheap a collection of short stories by Philip K Dick, and Frank Herebert's Dune Messiah.

Well it's called Minority Report (which is the first story), and the back blurb also focusses on that, specifically mentioning about it now being the "new blockbuster" by Steven Spielberg.

This is the story list:

• 1 • The Minority Report • nv Fantastic Universe Jan ’56
  • 45 • Imposter • ss Astounding Jun ’53
  • 61 • Second Variety • nv Space Science Fiction May ’53
  • 111 • War Game • ss Galaxy Dec ’59
  • 131 • What the Dead Men Say • na Worlds of Tomorrow Jun ’64
  • 191 • Oh, to Be a Blobel! • ss Galaxy Feb ’64
  • 211 • The Electric Ant • ss F&SF Oct ’69
  • 231 • Faith of Our Fathers • nv Dangerous Visions, ed. Harlan Ellison, Garden City, NY: Doubleday, 1967
  • 267 • We Can Remember It for You Wholesale • nv F&SF Apr ’66

Ahh, I've got that one too. It has some pretty decent stories, especially 'We can remember it for you wholesale', which is even more mindblowing than you'd imagine, once you try to reconcile all the threads of alternate reality it seems to contain!

Oh, the Barker sotry in Prime Evil was oddly gentle - but decent. The M John Harrison story was amazing- brilliant atmosphere. I also liked DAvid Morrell's Orange Is for Anguish, Blue for Insanity. Hard to imagine this is the same fellow who wrote Rambo!

I acquired two of Mercedes Lackey's books for AU$4.95 each. Owlknight and Owlflight - both brand new. They look pretty good in my bookcase. Now I just have to chase up Owlsight to complete the trilogy.
My other brilliant hauls were brand new copies of Gardens of the Moon for AU$5.00 and Deadhouse Gates for about AU$15.00. :D :D

More hauls, mateys! Har har har!!!!:D

To Sail Beyond The Sunset, Friday: Robert A Heinlein
The Sirens of Titan: Kurt Vonnegut
The Lost Valley of Iskander: Robert E Howard
Weaveworld: Clive Barker
Startide Rising: David Brin
Sandman 2: Doll House: Neil Gaiman et. al.
Various comics, including JLA, Catwoman, Conan etc.

I read "Weaveworld" a long time ago, when it first came out. I honestly can't recall much about it, except that I liked it a lot. Guess it's time to go back and read it again. I know I liked it much better than "Damnation Game".

I just got Rick Bowe's forthoming From the Files of the Time Rangers.

Today I bought:
The Fifth Head of Cerberus - Gene Wolfe
The Warrior Prophet - R. Sctoo Bakker
Imajica - Clive Barker

I have just purchased and read an apparently new author called Trudi Canavan
whose first trilogy is
Magicians guild
Novice
High lord

personally i thought one of the best sets ive read in a long time and if this is the quality she is going to stick to, then roll on next book !! highly reccomend!!
:)

Small book haul today, but a distinguished one. Picked up Stardust by Neil Gaiman and Good Omens by Gaiman and Terry Pratchett, both signed by Gaiman. He was in town a week or two back, but I couldn't make it to his signing, so I was quite chuffed to find these signed copies on the shelf of the bookstore that brought him out. Had to have them, despite the fact I already own Stardust....