DISCUSSION THREAD -- JULY 2023 -- 75 Word Writing Challenge

Mentions to JojnnyJet, AKnot, Paul 3 Menzies, Mosaix, The Judge and The Bear.

Therapist for me, which I liked. It felt very similar to Judge's entry, but I can only vote once so the chase is on with these two.

A big thanks to Robert M Gibson for my vote. I though I had the killer last line this month, but it's on to next month for me now to go again.

Reading all these fine stories made one thing clear to me; the definition of what makes a story Gaslight remains obscured by mists and twilight. The stories went far and wide. Which in itself was fine, but made me decide to not let it decide my vote. This time only.
I think people just took the risk of applying their (preferred) definition.
Anyhow, shortlisted and vote:

A game of global domination - @Luiglin
Jack the Rippers last night, a sad tale of Mutilation and Suffering - @Bowler1
Alexander - @therapist
I Only Bet on Certainties - @mosaix
The Sylph Employed… - @Ursa major

Thankyou Parson and Aknot for your votes, you've made me smile. Thankyou also johnnyjet, M.Robert Gibson, Starbeast and StillLearning for your shortlisting.

it's looking like it's going to be another close run thing between the leaders this month, good luck to you both with excellent entries.

Thanks also Victoria and Parson for you observant commentaries, and I think a special mention to Peter V for a thoughtful choice of genre.

Top three for me...
  • @paranoid marvin - I do like seeing alternative sides of well known tales
  • @Rjalex - really liked the last line
  • @emrosenagel - I could see this being expanded into a intriguing short story
And the tick of the radio button goes to @emrosenagel. I could see this work in the style of the old Victorian periodicals

A number of stories I thought didn't hit the genre this month, though as it was a little unusual that's perhaps not surprising, but also a few that to my mind missed the theme, which I didn't expect, and as ever some that I didn't understand, even on a second and third read.

Anyhow, my shortlist:

Bowler1 -- Jack the Rippers last night, a sad tale of Mutilation and Suffering
Bren G -- Reckless Embrace
Cat's Cradle -- The Vivisectionists in the Fog
Elckerlyc -- A Harrowing Experience in the Hailed Thames Tunnel (London, 1848)
M. Robert Gibson -- The Fiend of Whitechapel
paranoid marvin -- Mrs Hyde
Peter V -- A Dutchman in London
Ursa major -- The Sylph Employed
I was a tad worried I'd included so many Ripper-like pieces, but they adhered so closely to theme and genre it was perhaps inevitable, but my vote goes to something less gory, as I loved Ursa's Sherlockian story as soon as I read it. (Though I'm desperate to know if I've missed a pun in the title!)

Many matchgirl lamplighting thanks for the lovely mentions/shortlistings THX1138, Starbeast, StilLearning, Bowler and emrosenagel, and even more dragon-breath lamp-lit thanks for the wonderful votes Hugh and johnnyjet!

Oh my lord, I've just seen I've got a load of ninja votes! So many, many very secret lamplighting thanks for the secret votes nixie, Chris p, CC, Peter V and Artoriarius!

Many, many thanks for the vote, TJ. :):)
(Though I'm desperate to know if I've missed a pun in the title!)
You'll have to wait for the poll to close before I reveal anything about the title (or the rest of my entry, for that matter...).

Well done, everyone - really good stories this month.
I voted earlier, so I won't be changing the totals now. I'll mention there were several entries I really enjoyed that I just couldn't be certain hit the genre, so I left them off my lists... I think that's the fairest thing, since meeting the genre and theme are a big part of the Challenge, but apologies to those several members and their fine entries if I missed something.
Here is my shortlist, and vote:

Shortlist:
Victoria Silverwolf, Simbelmynë, JS Wiig, emrosenagel, Starbeast, Christine Wheelwright, Parson, Ursa major

Vote:
I was very fond of TJ's entry, The Lamplighter (Or, The Not-So-Little Match Girl), and voted there.

Huge thanks to: @THX1138, @paranoid marvin, @Christine Wheelwright, @emrosenagel, and @The Judge for the listings. :)

Looks to be a close one. Good luck to our front-runners, CC

Congratulations @therapist on a well deserved victory! It was tops for me as soon as I read it.

Thanks to @Starbeast for the mention for my story and keeping me from pulling a double zero.

I had hoped my drunken muse spouting off synonyms of risk when pressed for a story would have sufficed as a, perhaps sideways, execution of the theme but I can't exactly fault anyone for thinking that argument a little thin. As for genre, I got nothin'.

And I don't say it every month, but I do always look forward to reading the reviews from @Parson and @Victoria Silverwolf, many thanks to both of you.