Trying to track down a comic story from my childhood

dtl

I'm trying to find a comic story from my childhood (in the 70s). It may have appeared in one of the DC Comics publications, Bullet or Warlord.

It starts with a boy and girl walking their dog on the moors. Somehow they get transported into the future where, after some apocalypse, there are no adults. The UK has split into two kingdoms who have been at war for many years. One adult had survived and left a 'holy book' which meant the armies only used weapons that stunned, not killed. To cut a long story short, the two children end up working for the more democratic of the kingdoms (the other resembled military dictatorship), teaching them about tanks, and turning the tide of the war. The story ended, after peace had been achieved, with the children walking on a moor again, meeting their long lost dog, and being transported back to their own time.

Does anyone remember the story? Does anyone know what it was called? I'd love to try find it again.

Thanks

Moved to Book Search forum.

I've no idea about this, but it seems more like a graphic novel in length than a short story? When you read it in the 1970's was it newly published? Can you remember the cover picture? All of that kind of thing can jog memories.

I'm trying to find a comic story from my childhood (in the 70s). It may have appeared in one of the DC Comics publications, Bullet or Warlord.

It starts with a boy and girl walking their dog on the moors. Somehow they get transported into the future where, after some apocalypse, there are no adults. The UK has split into two kingdoms who have been at war for many years. One adult had survived and left a 'holy book' which meant the armies only used weapons that stunned, not killed. To cut a long story short, the two children end up working for the more democratic of the kingdoms (the other resembled military dictatorship), teaching them about tanks, and turning the tide of the war. The story ended, after peace had been achieved, with the children walking on a moor again, meeting their long lost dog, and being transported back to their own time.

Does anyone remember the story? Does anyone know what it was called? I'd love to try find it again.

Thanks
This sounds like a fairly typical DC Thompson or Fleetway story. Warlord usually had straight military stories.
Could be in Bullett. Also try Hornet, Hotspur, Lion, Tiger, Valiant, Victor. I have just done a very nostalgic skim through their contents and did not spot anything, but I think it is quite likely this story is in one of those.

Thanks both for your feedback. I'm pretty sure it was serialized because I remember waiting for the next issue to see hat happened. The only graphic novels I remember reading in my childhood were the Commando comics, but it doesn't seem like something for that. I was definitely a Bullet reader rather than any of the others - I just had to be different from all the other kids, which is why I got an Oric Atmos rathr than a ZX Spectrum! I did read Warlord for a bit after the merger with Bullet and I do remember Victor and Hotspur, but more as annuals that the actual comics., but maybe there as some swapping among the kids. I did read the Beano a bit but it doesn't feel like the style for that.

I don't remember any cover art. I have an image in my mind of the tank, which was small, with an open turret, and manned by two children; more like a tank destroyer than a true tank, I guess. Before the tank, some of the fighting was in small aircraft a bit like a Bell 47 helecopter, but with wings instead of a rotor. The children in the Southern nation wore black SS like uniforms. Also in the Southern nation was a 'temple' with a large statue of the one adult who survived the apocalypse that had left only children alive.

I notice DC Thomson have an 'archives' email address: I might drop them a line and see if they recognise it.

I should have done this from the beginning! It occurred to me to look for a gallery of Bullet front covers for any clues. On one front cover, issue 125, there's a drawing that rings some bells. The aircraft seem about right, but the weapon blasting holes in the wing doesn't seem very non-lethal! The title 'The Nameless Ones' feels odd from my memory of the story, but at least I've got something now to search of. Maybe see if I can pick up an old issue or two from ebay or somewhere if it's not a silly price to see if it really is the story I remember.

Thanks again for your suggestions

Attachments

• Bullet 125.jpg
    Bullet 125.jpg
    426.4 KB · Views: 98

Back