Why I think AI-generated art is not art

I’ve thought about this quite a lot and mentioned it before. What most people consider AI art is basically modern day photography with a little plagiarism. Photography in the 19th century enabled people with little talent for drawing to become artists and accurately reproduce what they saw. This soon developed into an art form in its own right with many photographers using the medium to express more than what lay before them. I am thinking here of Ansell Adams, Dora maar, Lee Miller etc.

Plagiarism is an interesting one though. The saying good artists copy great artists steal has been a truism down the centuries but the great artists always add their own voice to the mix. However if I were to prompt an AI with “Mickey Mouse as a member of the Avengers” I am sure Disney and Marvel would have something expensive to say about it. (Interesting I can think of two instances where the Marvel legal department came down on a (comic) creator. Dave Sim who ran three issues of Cerbus with a parody of Wolverine on the cover and the wrangling with Dark Horse(?) over Marvel man/Miracle man (Marvel man, a revived hero from the 1950’s, predated the Marvel comic by at least a decade but Marvel still won).

The problem with AI art in most cases is that it is like me going through my childhood comics and trying to replicate the style of Jack Kirby by tracing over the picture, for instance but with no feeling for what is being created. Returning to photography, Ansell Adams took amazing pictures of Yosemite, he probably copied techniques he had learned form other photographers and added some of his own. If I went to Yosemite and took a photo of the same location, in the same manner, I might closely approximate his photo but it would be my own. If I went on line and down loaded his photo it wouldn’t be mine, however I could cut it up and add it to a collage that was mine. It’s equivalent to whether sampling a song by David Bowie and using it to create a beat is stealing or doing something new? The argument rages on.

In other areas artists are using AI to create some astounding works as the sample from MOMA shows

In the end the art is in the intent. Currently at least AI has no intent to create art. DALL.E2 could sit there for years and would never come up with something that was its own invention without a human prompt. Even the art in MOMA needs that human in put.

When photography came in it didn’t kill art as was predicted it changed art and opened the door to the impressionists (though Turner got there first), the Dadaists, surrealists, and abstract art of the 20th century. Art will adapt to AI and find ways to use it no AI could imagine.

In other areas artists are using AI to create some astounding works as the sample from MOMA shows
Anyone using the phrase "machine will" loses me. That's my biggest issue. Its list searches, weighted matching and output, not intelligence. All else is anthropomorphism, like thinking your connected TV is smart because it's suggestions appeal to you. The term AI has become such a ridiculous umbrella that stupid little control programs I wrote for things would now be called AI by some people.

What the art in the vid shows is art run through filters. To tell the truth, they remind me of some screen savers. Like Marvel boom-boom effects they are far more detailed but a lot of the same movement concepts.

In the end the art is in the intent. Currently at least AI has no intent to create art. DALL.E2 could sit there for years and would never come up with something that was its own invention without a human prompt.
Exactly, shallow though some of that intent may be. Not currently, nor at any time in the future will AI find intent as long as we're talking about computers and software.

Exactly, shallow though some of that intent may be. Not currently, nor at any time in the future will AI find intent as long as we're talking about computers and software.
I quite agree but from a sci-fi perspective I like to consider what truely intelligent AI would be. It would be unlikely to think like us

to think like us

That's an interesting thought. We are adding computer generated fact analysis to our decision making. Its like we're thinking, then we add data generated by a computer, then think some more, possibly adding more computer generated data. The computer's input works as a subroutine in our thinking process that acts as a bridge, a crutch, a patch, a weakness or a strength, in turning our thoughts into actions. Is our thinking shaped by the computers input, do we lose some of our understanding of the situation. How much is or thinking reshaped by interacting with computers.

We have the thoughts of the individual and the actions generated. Then we have the thoughts of the collective global group. Those thoughts are also transformed into actions. The results of the individuals actions are all over the scale, every conceivable thing is being done, even if its only done once.

Globally, the results of the actions pile up into programed streams of activities, which are made visible by the massive repetition. There's an infinite number of thoughts to be had, but most likely there is a finite number of actions that can be carried out turning thoughts into physical actions. While computers aren't thinking when they run programs that cause physical events to happen, they are none the less making things happen, providing instructions to people on how to do things. If more reliance was placed on programs that used cost analysis every step of the way, from inception to no longer used, to manage the way physical activities are carried out, would we still be seeing the same kind of results trying to reach our objectives that we see now.

I quite agree but from a sci-fi perspective I like to consider what truely intelligent AI would be. It would be unlikely to think like us
Limit it's training inputs to the same ones people have and you might get something close.

That's an interesting thought. We are adding computer generated fact analysis to our decision making. Its like we're thinking, then we add data generated by a computer, then think some more, possibly adding more computer generated data. The computer's input works as a subroutine in our thinking process that acts as a bridge, a crutch, a patch, a weakness or a strength, in turning our thoughts into actions. Is our thinking shaped by the computers input, do we lose some of our understanding of the situation. How much is or thinking reshaped by interacting with computers.
As an example of how AI shapes our thinking, anecdotal but interesting. I went for a walk with a recently whom I have walked a lot with in the past. He had ditched maps for a phone app. while I continued to use my OS. More often than not he didn't know where we were or whether we were heading north or south. Frequent stops were made to try and get a GPS signal. I also had moments of wondering which way to go but seemed better able to read the landscape and interpret the map.
I wonder if, while machines may never think like us, that as we delegate our thinking to them, be it art, writing, navigation etc. we lose that ability. My niece can't drive anywhere without a SATNAV.
Cars are useful but if ou never exercise your legs yu get unfit. Maybe its the same with our brains and AI. Useful but we don't want to get over reliant on it

As an example of how AI shapes our thinking, anecdotal but interesting. I went for a walk with a recently whom I have walked a lot with in the past. He had ditched maps for a phone app. while I continued to use my OS. More often than not he didn't know where we were or whether we were heading north or south. Frequent stops were made to try and get a GPS signal. I also had moments of wondering which way to go but seemed better able to read the landscape and interpret the map.
I wonder if, while machines may never think like us, that as we delegate our thinking to them, be it art, writing, navigation etc. we lose that ability. My niece can't drive anywhere without a SATNAV.
Cars are useful but if ou never exercise your legs yu get unfit. Maybe its the same with our brains and AI. Useful but we don't want to get over reliant on it
God! just noticed all the spelling errors and missing words... may be I need an AI :)

eBay now has an "AI option" for rewriting the description of the item you are selling. Its just providing stock phrases that puffs up the item's description but it also throws out the dimensions, other numbers, condition descriptions, and physical descriptions.

It’s been said before, and will be said again

752CB034-4E6A-427E-90D5-BCFA2BFD523A.jpeg

Nice work Harpo, :) and almost a convincing argument.
However, the subtle but critical difference is that all of the previous examples are still working with material originated by a person. Recording, duplicating or tweaking it.

Let's analyse the AI process by adding one more step and think about the implication.
Dear AI,
"Write a prompt of your own devising and create an image from it."

AI is just the newest expression of the desire to replace the control of human artifice with non-humans. Corporations also work in the human sphere and make decisions that aren't by humans or for the benefit of humans. And that's been working great for everyone.

Art created by artificial intelligence is like a gallery of stone faces. It's an illusion of art, and if culture succumbs to this illusion, we will lose something irreplaceable. We will lose art as an act of communication, and with it, the special place of consciousness in the production of beauty.

Art created by artificial intelligence is like a gallery of stone faces. It's an illusion of art, and if culture succumbs to this illusion, we will lose something irreplaceable. We will lose art as an act of communication, and with it, the special place of consciousness in the production of beauty.
Just like before when we lost storytelling and photography, eh?

Then again there is using AI as a quick visualisation tool. I guess these are AI generated but I don't know for sure.
Interesting "what if" exploration though.