(Found) book name help

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
Supporter
Whilst at school in the mid 1980s, we read a book about a kid who had insulted the school bully by creating some insulting graffiti. The bully knew it was him and the story was about the bully coming after him. I thought it was called something like 'They Call Me Mouse' or at least (I think) his nickname was Mouse because he was little. And it was a complete surprise to the rest of the school and to himself) that he would choose to pick a fight with someone he had no hope of beating.

Thanks in advance.

This is The Eighteenth Emergency (1973) by Betsy Byars.

When Mouse and Ezzie were younger they used to enjoy inventing solutions to jungle emergencies (lion attack, unexpected charge of an enraged bull, sudden appearance of sharks in your swimming area), and now that big dumb Hammerman is after Mouse (for writing the bully's name under a picture of Neanderthal man on the sixth grade classroom wall) he remembers that most of the emergency measures amounted to doing whatever was hardest or most unnatural. The hardest thing of all, it seems to Mouse, is not running; but after days of dodging Hammerman he now seeks him out and — without managing to land any hits in return — accepts the five powerful blows that he knows are necessary to redeem Hammerman's honor.

It was adapted into an "After School Special" for American television under a new title: