Can't remember the name of this book

Fossilgenera

So about 10 years ago I read a book and I cant remember the name of it. Its an older sci fi book from the 80s I believe....The cover has a green horned alien on the center top and maybe some other aliens around him...maybe a guy who is the lead character of the story....the title of the book may be the name of the guy. I believe it takes place in a post-apocalyptic world and the main character is this guy who has visions of aliens and alien worlds and other characters in the book he has never met have similar visions. The guy is kind of like a wanderer...sings a song like "i am [insert name] i mean no harm" or something like that....towards the end of the book theres some kind of huge gathering going on with a bunch of people in the world and the guy meets the other people who have been having the visions of alien worlds and the aliens that live there.... the main guy and the others are wanting to go to the alien worlds and the main guy does something to them that triggers the visions...called the crossing or something like that....they have the visions but the main guy is like killing them....they die in a euphoric state....

It was a weird read and I would love to read it again....any help would be greatly appreciated!!