What Was the Last Television Episode You Watched?

I like this a bunch too. One thing that grates on me a little is that the language that Toda Mariko and Anjin-sun share is Portuguese and yet they speak in English while all the Japanese is Japanese and sub-titled. Shouldn't all of the dialogue be in the original language and subtitled?
I suppose the production team felt the audience would only tolerate so much in the way of subtitles, if the Portuguese was sub titled and the Dutch there would be no English dialogue at all. I wonder how long it is going to take, if at all, for the Englishman's Japanese to become fluent enough for all the actors to switch to English which they did back in the 1980's production iirc.

Also they could have used a Portuguese actor. But Nestor Carbonell is a good actor, with Latin heritage, as seen on Bates Motel.
For us Brits/Americans it is more relaxing (lazy) to have some sections without subtitles. Or folks with English as second language. My wife is Thai and would rather listen to English than read it.

Last edited:
I also have been watching The Regime recently. Is set in a fictional Central European nation. Though everyone speaks in a posh English accent, except a couple that may be Russian. It is not bad but not particularly funny, with a few too many unbelievable characters.
A vaguely similar but much funnier show is “The Great”.

I wonder how long it is going to take, if at all, for the Englishman's Japanese to become fluent enough for all the actors to switch to English which they did back in the 1980's production iirc.
As the show progresses they show anjin-sun picking up Japanese. In the last episode he is approached by a woman and she says (in Japanese) "I hear that your Japanese is passable." He says "Please speak in simple words." but they do carry on the conversation (short) in Japanese with subtitles.

I watched Shogun episodes 3 and 4 last night. It is more upbeat than I would expect for a Japanese story of the era. The European characters are there to entertain us. So far it seems nothing can go wrong for the main characters on the hero side. But still enjoying it.

I watched Shogun episodes 3 and 4 last night. It is more upbeat than I would expect for a Japanese story of the era. The European characters are there to entertain us. So far it seems nothing can go wrong for the main characters on the hero side. But still enjoying it.
Just wait.

I think I owe Cyberpunk: Edgerunners a bit of an apology. I kept watching it, but in a vague way while I was painting models, but I found it increasingly engrossing as it went on. I think it's ultimately a good story told in a medium I just don't warm to. Under the manga stereotypes and the ridiculous violence, there is a good story about a group of friends on a heist, and the hero's progress from lad to hardcase to monster. The ending, set on the Moon, is especially strong, and the way that the early parts of the story reflect on later events is quite clever. So overall, this was not my cup of tea by quite a way, but I think it was well-made.

Last edited:
MANNIX - A Question of Midnight---Not sure what the title refers to--I guess because it starts with a disgraced doctor having to help a patient at a late hour. He then gets put on trial for malpractice and Mannix is called in to find out what happened 2 years before that got him disgraced.
A cop fires a gun in the ceiling of a hospital to stop a fleeing doctor who is unarmed. That seemed a little excessive.
I got startled when Mannix walks across a wooden platform--as I watched--seen from a low angle--I thought--I wonder if it will collapse on him. It did.

CANNON - Night Flight to Murder - a pilot is killed and Cannon is hired to find some recovered money. John Vernon is suspicious from the start.

THE ROCKFORD FILES - In Pursuit of Carol Thorne - He is hired to trail an ex-con but she sees through his attempts to con her, and he gets conned a few times. It's actually like a comic version of the Maltese Falcon. A fake cop says "Are you going let us in? I don't like standing in the hallway."
And Rockford replies "then you shouldn't have joined the force."
This shows is always good for laughs.

IRONSIDE - Goodbye to Yesterday - In this 2 hour episode the Chief is called to help his former nurse (a woman who lost her memory and had a thing for him until her husband showed up). I haven't seen the episode in question--they show flashbacks of it. Now her daughter (Melody Thomas) is kidnapped and he is called in to handle the kidnapping. Ironside learns that she still has has the thing for him and her husband is willing to give her a divorce. That is, until she falls off a cliff while trying to make the money exchange.
You have to feel sorry for the Chief--she gets her memory back but loses all memory of him! On the other hand, seeing as she is played by Vera Miles, who was also the ex of Mannix and was the first case of Cannon, and got the last word on Columbo, maybe he is better off without her.

Baby Reindeer. Excellent series based on a true story. The lead actor is also the real person of the story. First three episodes are funny at times but it takes a very dark turn. Features exploitation and not an easy watch at times. Not graphic, but disturbing. Still very well made.

I seem to be in a WW II state of mind. I've been watching Das Boot and We Were the Lucky Ones. (On Hulu) Both of these are very good, and quite disturbing in a lot of ways. Probably the most disturbing part for both of these is not that they are "real" stories, although there is a real family behind "We Were the Lucky Ones." But that everything that is seen reflects things that most definitely did happen. I also just learned that Das Boot is in fact not what used to be called a "mini-series" but is in fact a continuing series of at least 4 seasons. Somewhat unfortunate to have learned that because it now ratchets down the intensity of what's being seen. Because in the show thread it's hard to believe that the main characters aren't going to killed or at least sent to a prison camp, and now I know that at least almost all of them will remain at least alive and probably free to continue their activities. I have one other gripe about Das Boot a lot of it is in German (no trouble with English subtitles) but the subtitles are often partially covered up by other information like "Motor noise" or the like. So far I've been able to understand (or at least think I understand) from context.

I never watched this new Das Boot series, mainly to not taint the memories I have of the most excellent original mini-series. No remake required.
Also, how would an American remake be better in whatever aspect than the original German series about an German U-Boot? Talking authenticity here.

We were lucky the BBC was the only broadcaster outside of Germany to show the complete uncut original mini series.