Little Match(maker) Girl - Peter V
Long Distance Message – WSDuffy
*** Disconnected - Victoria Silverwolf ***
Therapy - Cat's Cradle

Off The Rails - paranoid marvin
I Thought You’d Never Ask... – mosaix
Gestalt - reiver33
The Investigative Genetic Genealogist’s Last Case - The Judge

A lot of really good, and very different, stories this year.

Shortlist
@Peter V A sweet and well contained tale that I felt like I could really see
@Victoria Silverwolf Really thought provoking. Still can't tell if my discomfort with the world is because it is troubling or because I lack the imagination for it
@Daysman A clever twist that used the idea of connection in a unique and unexpected way
@Perpetual Man I'm a sucker for "world of imagination" stories. I hope I see this is comic book form someday.

My choice
@Cat's Cradle This one hit me hard. I thought about it days later, crossing between feeling awful for the robot and realizing that if such a robot could be built I would likely advocate hard for doing so, which makes me wonder what suffering I'm willing to allow for the sake of the people/things I care more about

Bowler1 lurks in the shadows as members pass by to vote.

Psst

Pitchforks... only the best, get them quick.

Thank you for the listing @johnnyjet, and the vote, @Christine Wheelwright! :)

Thank you for the vote, @WSDuffy, and the interesting words on my story. I've been trying to use my emotional creativity - if there is such a thing - in my entries lately, and it's really cool to hear your thoughts on this one. Thanks so much, CC

Thanks for the shortlisting M.Robert Gibson.

Another great month for entries. An interesting Theme set by Cat's Cradle, and thanks (as always) to Victoria and Parson for the reviews.

My shortlistings are:

Elckeryc. A well written, intriguing and sad story that raises more questions than it answers.

M.Robert Gibson - a very well told tale with a great punchline.

Cat's Cradle gets my vote for a heartrending tale, and a warning on the reach of science without conscience.

Tough one this month. Felt a bit like Homer in the film festival episode of The Simpsons when trying to choose between @Peter V 's Little Match(maker) Girl and @Parson 's Something Smells -high art v a good belly laugh ...Little Matchmaker had heart, but Something Smells had a toilet;) I tipped my hat to both entries, and gave the vote to Little Matchmaker

Also really enjoyed @Ian Fortytwo The Lost Suitcase ...might have missed the point but it seemed like a 'did I ever tell ye how I almost became a spy' story for the grandkids. Also @Victoria Silverwolf 's Disconnected ...liked the image of humans dancing to the tune of machines, and loving it. Also @Cat's Cradle Therapy ...was something thought provoking about it.

Well done all round, and thanks for the stories (y)

Starbeast gets my vote this month as I just loved the ending.

Parson was a close bottom rumbling contender, so well done.

The GREAT CRISPY was in the running and I was chuffed to bits to have understood every word this time, which is not always the case - so I feel really clever this month.

Shortlisted because

Little Match(maker) Girl by @Peter V because I love stories with helping angels in them.

Connection by @Christine Wheelwright because it seemed like something both unexpected and so believable.

Kajar and the Six Degrees of Separation by @M. Robert Gibson because it underlines a common truth, commonly forgotten: "Your greatest strength is also your greatest weakness."

The Winter of Our Disconnect by @johnnyjet because I always grin at the title when I read the ending.

Felix by @Elckerlyc because its a great scientific twist story.

Does this ever get any easier? NO!! It does not get easier, but

Runner-up: Little Match(maker) Girl by @Peter V

Vote: Kajar and the Six Degrees of Separation by @M. Robert Gibson

Back