Isaac Asimov or Frank Herbert, Who is Greater?

I think Dune was great, but I also think it was the most Fantasy adjacent SF out of the all time great SF books.

I think Dune was great, but I also think it was the most Fantasy adjacent SF out of the all time great SF books.

There were times when it seemed to head in the direction of Fantasy.

I didn't get on with it at all. It read like a fantasy novel to me and I had to stop
Well, you didn’t have to did you? I imagine it was a choice. I also don’t get the ‘reads like a fantasy’ suggestion, which is not personally directed only at you, as it’s a commonly expressed idea, but to me, it seems pure SF. There are heaps of SF elements, and no magical elements of any sort…

Well, you didn’t have to did you? I imagine it was a choice. I also don’t get the ‘reads like a fantasy’ suggestion, which is not personally directed only at you, as it’s a commonly expressed idea, but to me, it seems pure SF. There are heaps of SF elements, and no magical elements of any sort…
At the time I was into hard SF, and Dune just seemed too soft, bordering on fantasy. The woman near the start, who is like some kind of witch, dispensing magical cures. Its all I can remember of it. It didn't sit well with me. It was quite a few years ago though and I would like to try again later. (I got a similar vibe when trying to read Ursula K le Guin)
Also my reading moods change a lot. I'll go from only liking hard sf to liking fantasy.