Not SFF, stalker tracks his victims online and then kills them novel

Danny McG

"Uroshnor!"
I read this maybe 20 years ago but I think it was a bit older, from library. I can't remember if it was a paperback.

Various people are getting slashed to pieces, the investigating cop eventually works out that they'd all been online directly before they were killed. Dial up internet.

It transpires they'd all been doing 'adult chats' and the killer was posing as another lonely person.

Then we had a scene where a disabled lady was clicking away, and getting very intimate and heated, but suddenly the other person called her by her real name, not the persona she was using.

Her address then pops up on her screen and he tells her he's right outside her patio windows. In a panic she tries to phone for help but outside contact has been blocked.

Then he comes in through the window, not wearing anything to avoid blood splatter - surprise revelation is he has an accomplice, a nekkid woman walks in with him, both grinning with malicious intent as the hapless victim sobs in her wheelchair.

Next chapter is back to the cop viewing the mutilated corpse, he gets his tech team working through her online data to see if they can find a link.

I think (if I remember correctly then this may be a spoiler) that the bad guy had worked for various companies, and also as a freelance, installing internet dial up points across several states and he'd left spyware in some ....or else he'd installed the software at the factory or warehouse, I'm really unsure on this part and I could be conflating another book altogether

Not my genre but a bit of searching turned up The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver which is around the right time period, and seems to touch generally the right plot points. I couldn't find any of your specific details in the available descriptions or reviews however.

Not my genre but a bit of searching turned up The Blue Nowhere by Jeffery Deaver which is around the right time period, and seems to touch generally the right plot points. I couldn't find any of your specific details in the available descriptions or reviews however.
Nope sorry, I remember the Blue Nowhere, (I think I've still got a copy somewhere) there are some similarities but it's not the droid I'm looking for.

Further thinking on this one, the blurb in blue (fortuitous choice!) was probably from the suggested book The Blue Nowhere.
This book was even darker than that, reminiscent of Dean Koontz doing horror as suggested by Greg..

I hope it gets identified, I was chatting about it recently and I couldn't recall the book info or how it ends.

A story with similar tracking of on-line people is "True Names" by Vernor Vinge. Our Hero is trying to save The Victim, but needs to trace web of on-line acquaintances to find the real name and address of The Victim.

I don't recall the naked intruder(s), but I haven't read the book recently.

Cheers Paul, but that's not the Eccles cake I'm looking for either. I have True Names and have skimmed it to check

Any Philip K. Dick?
No, it was like a standard crime thriller book, but back then it seemed really high tech because of going online. ..

"Wow, is that the world wide web then? It's like that kid in the film War Games who was sort of linking to computers, I wonder if it'll ever catch on? It seems a bit dangerous"

Another thought on this, again I'm not 100% sure, I think the naked lady who helps the bad guy used the handle 'Kali' when they were setting up the online chats with their murder victims