Anyone remember THE NIGHT STALKER TV show and movies?

The series was fun but the initial movies were even better. I watched both again about ten years ago and they held up. Besides the writing, both had really good casts for TV of the time, including old timers like Simon Oakland, Scott Brady, Charles McGraw, Wally Cox, Margaret Hamilton and Ralph Meeker. Richard Matheson wrote the scripts for both; unfortunately, the series couldn't (wouldn't?) afford to keep him on.

Randy M.

I have the whole series on dvd. It's fun too watch. :cool:

I wonder why this show was canceled? I know that they where not allowed to film in Chicago.They used stock footage for Chicago.
Also is there really an underground town beneath Seattle?

I wonder why this show was canceled? I know that they where not allowed to film in Chicago.They used stock footage for Chicago.
Also is there really an underground town beneath Seattle?

As I understand, the show started out strong in the ratings but tailed off. Much as I liked it, the series didn't hold a candle to the two movies.

Randy M.

I always wanted an Xfiles Kolchak cross over, I think Kolchak and Mulder would have worked well together. I believe there was a comic cross over but never read it. Also what did people think of the modern remake of Kolchak?

1) McGavin appeared on X-Files in a couple of episodes, one in 1998 the next in 1999, as a former of FBI agent and X-Files precursor of Mulder being consulted by Mulder. By that time I believe he was ailing and not able to appear again -- at least IMDB indicates only a couple more credits for him post X-Files.

2) If you mean the one with Stuart Townsend and Gabrielle Union, I thought it was promising and the network pulled the plug too soon. But ratings kill a lot of potentially good shows. (Am I still bitter about Firefly? No, no, not at all. Why do you ask?)

I remember one about a shapeshifter. It scared the hell out of me as a kid, and I think it was the first time I heard of the concept.

I remember one about a shapeshifter. It scared the hell out of me as a kid, and I think it was the first time I heard of the concept.

Bad Medicine . That was an expires in Kolchak did battle with and evil mystical Indian Sorcerer knows as a Deabliero . The mystic committed crime againts the gods and was condemned to build an eternal treasure with jewelry that he acquired by murdering the owners. He had shape shifting abilities , could turn at will, into coyote and a crow . His gaze has the power to hypnotize . What makes him so evil that he could have taken the jewels without killing anyone. He's super strong and nearly invulnerable to physical harm and all weapons . He did have weaknesses , Kolchak found out that a flash bulb can break his gaze and blind him and as found out later Debiero cannot live with the sight of his own gaze. A mirror can kill him if he looks into it.

I always wanted an Xfiles Kolchak cross over, I think Kolchak and Mulder would have worked well together. I believe there was a comic cross over but never read it. Also what did people think of the modern remake of Kolchak?

There is comic book where Kochalk meets Barnabas Collins.

There was a planned third movie set in Hawaii.
The movies deviate little from Matheson's scripts--he said he didn't like it when his writing was altered.
And when he adapted other people's writing he didnt like adding to it--Dennis Wheatley was happy with his script for the Devil Rides Out.

The best thing with the show was how they managed to make the monsters spooky with camera angles and the music. I don't think the show could have lasted another season though. They ran out of famous monsters. McGavin was unhappy with the show direction. His website has his reactions to the scripts he was getting-he was very critical.

My favorites were the Spanish Moss monster and the Rakshasa.

I remember reading that the X Files was influenced by it and I started watching it again (after the pilot) because of that. I also remember them saying they asked McGavin to appear but he declined--so it was a big surprise when he finally did. I think they should have just left him unnamed and make people think it could be Kolchak. Are they going to get sued?
George Lazenby appeared as James Bond in a Man From Uncle movie and I doubt they got permission.

Kolchak: I saw Victor Friese get his back snapped. I heard it crunch! And the man who did it was dead. Dead! And had been dead for over two weeks!
Vincenzo: Well I envy him! At least he's getting some sleep!

There was one about an ape creature grown from oil. A rare one where the creature was presented as kind of sympathetic. He tried to communicate with it.

@BAYLOR Is there one about a Sasquatch or yeti? I feel like I remember that, too.

There are three episode that might fit into category.:)

The Spanish Moss Murders you have caulking moss like creature from Creole legend goes on a killing rampage, It looks vague like Swmp think only much bigger . Richard Keil plays the master he also played the Indian Sorcerer in Bad Medicine.

Horror in the Heights kolchak does battle with creature that resembles a Yeit . A Demon from East Indian Lore called a Rakshasha . It has the ability to disguise itself in the agues of someone it intended victim trust most so that it can get close enough to attack and devour that person

Primal Scream Scientists discover the organisms which seem have the capacity grow in apelike creatures that have are murderously aggressive towards people.

There are three episode that might fit into category.:)

The Spanish Moss Murders you have caulking moss like creature from Creole legend goes on a killing rampage, It looks vague like Swmp think only much bigger . Richard Keil plays the master he also played the Indian Sorcerer in Bad Medicine.

Horror in the Heights kolchak does battle with creature that resembles a Yeit . A Demon from East Indian Lore called a Rakshasha . It has the ability to disguise itself in the agues of someone it intended victim trust most so that it can get close enough to attack and devour that person

Primal Scream Scientists discover the organisms which seem have the capacity grow in apelike creatures that have are murderously aggressive towards people.
I think it was Horror in the Heights then. Thanks!