DISCUSSION THREAD -- April 2020 -- 85-Word Writing Challenge

Ok wow. When I looked at the votes last (before Parson mentioned I was in the lead) I only had two votes! Thanks to everybody who voted for my daft little story poem. And thanks for the mentions. :D

Can't remember the last time I entered a 75 worder. I'm sure one of the stats people knows? Anyway... I can't actually remember what happens next. Do I still get to pick the theme? And do I PM it to a mod?

TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :D

Ok wow. When I looked at the votes last (before Parson mentioned I was in the lead) I only had two votes! Thanks to everybody who voted for my daft little story poem. And thanks for the mentions. :D

Can't remember the last time I entered a 75 worder. I'm sure one of the stats people knows? Anyway... I can't actually remember what happens next. Do I still get to pick the theme? And do I PM it to a mod?

TAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! :D
According to my list, you entered in January of this year (Wheek, 1 vote). Previous to this it was December 2014.

And yes, choose theme and genre and sed to one of the several mods who challenge. We put it up in the staff room and debate whether it's acceptable :). I'm not sure if this is to protect us from dinoerotica.

Last edited:
I can't actually remember what happens next. Do I still get to pick the theme? And do I PM it to a mod?
You get to choose the theme and the genre...

...but, yes, you PM one of the Challenge mods and we let you know if they're both okay -- don't tell chrispy, but this is to avoid In the style of Kipling coming back to haunt us all -- and either you post the two threads (Challenge and Discussion) or one of us can do it for you.

but I'll definitely try for light-hearted next month
You'd better hope for the topic, "Fluffy Kittens". :rolleyes:;):eek:

Okie dokie. Will get thinking and send a PM later on.

According to my list, you entered in January of this year (Wheek, 1 vote). Previous to this it was December 2014.

Oh. Ha ha. I did say my short term memory was rubbish!

So that's Fluffy Kittens in the style of Kipling?
Now this is the Law of the Jungle — as old and as true as the sky;
And the Kitten that keeps it may prosper, but the Kitten that breaks it must die.

As the creeper that girdles the tree-trunk, forward and back the Law runneth —
For the strength of Fluff is the Kitten, and the strength of the Kitten is Fluff.

Wash daily from nose-tip to tail-tip; drink deeply, but never too deep;
And remember the night is for hunting, and forget not the day is for sleep.

Sorry, I just had to try :giggle: I just need to trim 16 words

Congratulations, @Mouse!

I somehow got my dates mixed up and missed when the voting ended, but I read all the entries and particularly liked the following:

Escape - @Mouse
Open Your Eyes - @Cat's Cradle
Pure Imagination - @Luiglin
Observation: Great Plague, London. Mission Ref 209-B. 08-15-1665. - @Peter V
A Magical Story - @elvet
The Comforts of Home - @sule
What Happens After - @Culhwch
What Dreams May - @LittleStar
Planet of Exile - @Teresa Edgerton

Oh, and thanks to @Artoriarius for the vote, and to @BT Jones, @Abernovo and @Ursa major for the mentions! I'll set a phone reminder or something next time...

Congratulations to Mouse. I was away from the computer for a week, so was unable to vote. With that in mind, let me do a little housekeeping.

paranoid marvin sings of a seeming utopia with one little drawback.

Elckerlyc warns of the hazards of traveling to faraway lands.

Menolly ponders who is the hunter and who the prey.

AMB
wonders if one should truly try, try again.

LittleStar evokes the feeling of loss in poetic form.

Teresa Edgerton remembers how old stories come back to haunt us.

The Judge offers a trace of hope in a dark world.

Abernovo
advises one to be cautious during critical procedures.

Ursa major demonstrates how a gesture can have more than one meaning.

jacksimmons finds artistry in the midst of destruction.

TheDustyZebra proves that imagination is the source of true freedom.

I suppose it's time -- give or take a couple of minutes set aside to write the 300-worder ;) -- for some of us to explain our stories.

In my case, it's relatively easy this month: it's a sequel to my first ever entry, back in April 2010 (hence the title and the mention of 10 Earth years in this month's effort):

Dwarf World
“Nice enough.”
“To buy?” asked Halek.
“Too small.”
“A planet?”
“Planetoid!”
“This model meets all our other customers’ requirements. And your budget—“
“Is adequate. More than. I need only three attributes: spheroidal; not a moon; no planetesimals.”
Humans! thought Halek. Wealthy but thick. “I don’t understand. Why these three characteristics when others are far more important?”
“I’m very rich. I’d lose face if I was seen as being no better than a Plutocrat.”

Back