DISCUSSION THREAD -- April 2020 -- 85-Word Writing Challenge

Thank you to everyone who mentioned my story, and many thanks to nixie, mosaix, Parson, Marvin, Ian Fortytwo, and Bren G for the votes.

Considering the high quality of all this month's stories, it was an honor to receive so many votes and mentions.

Congrats, @Mouse!!!! Well deserved victory with a great story that very nearly snuck into my votes!

I did not expect a podium finish at all, so that was a nice little surprise this month. Many thanks for the votes, @Teresa Edgerton, @nixie, @chrispenycate, @elvet, @LittleStar, @BigJ, @Cat's Cradle and @Hugh! And thanks as well for those of you who listed or mentioned my story!

My first two efforts at this story were way too long, and I wasn't sure I could cut it down to eighty-five words. In the end I started fresh, simplified the idea, and barely squeezed it in. I thought a few more words would have helped, but it seems in the end that the ones I left in weren't too bad. The idea itself -- well, I'm not a religious or spiritual person at all, but if there is something other than a dreamless sleep at the end of this journey, I'd really appreciate if it could include those furry companions I've had to leave behind on the way. Reading the other entries I see I'm not the only one either...

I happened to be looking back at my last three entries, and I noticed that they were all a bit grim and in one way or another focused on death. Not sure what's going on there, but I'll definitely try for light-hearted next month.

Many thanks again to @TheEndIsNigh, @Phyrebrat, @johnnyjet, @Peter V & @Simbelmynë for the votes, plus those of you who put me on their shortlist. Special request: given this poll signified the end of 1 decade and the start of another, how about a permanent fixture for the 3 x vote idea? It seems so much fairer to me (not remotely biased that I managed to score 5 votes, of course). There is always far more than 1 story worthy of recognition, and i think picking your top 3 really allows that little bit more love to be spread around, and also gives far more credit to stories that might otherwise have just missed out.

If one of my top three hadn't scored any votes at all simply because it wasn't in my top 1, it would have been a crying shame. I would be interested to think what everyone else thinks about this, as I'm sure the vast majority would agree.

What say you, fellow forum dwellers?

Congratulations Mouse!

And all the contributors who put themselves out there. You're all winners!

What say you, fellow forum dwellers?

Well, I (personally) have been in favor of three votes almost from the beginning. However, in all honesty I have to say that the question of whether the 75 Word Challenge should have 1 vote or 3 has been discussed many times over the years, and the majority has always been in favor of just 1 vote per person in this competition, and 3 for the quarterly 300 Word Challenge. Sometimes the moderating team has given out extra votes for special occasions (like the Tenth Anniversary) and people always seem to like that, but not necessarily as a regular thing.

Many thanks to everyone who mentioned my story, and thanks, cake, and (socially distant) hugs to chrispy, TJ, Parson, and Artoriarius for the lovely votes!

Apologies for not managing any lists this time -- I'm wound way too tight right now.

Congratulations, Mouse! A deserved win.

And, thank you, Ursa, for the mention. I'm honoured.

Many Congratulations Mouse!

And many thanks @Culhwch for the vote. Like Parson, this has been a most unusual month for me.

Many years ago a friend said "Look! He's doing just what the English do!", pointing out a young (maybe 22 years old) Frenchman who had just got off the boat/train at Victoria Station (London) and was repeating himself in French more and more slowly to a passer by, appearing completely mystified at the lack of comprehension. It was bizarre to see just how ludicrous it looked from the other side of the fence. I'm delighted and surprised that this seems to have struck a chord in others.

One vote or two? I'm not that bothered really. I probably prefer the one, but only because peoples' shortlists and mentions can give me a sense of validation in the (usual) absence of any votes.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Mouse! And well done all, on a fine set of stories.
I've been in six years of these Challenges, and I only wish I'd found the site earlier. Looking forward, in May, to the first Challenge of the next decade.

Thank you kindly to nixie and Teresa Edgerton for the listings, and thank you very much to The Judge for the vote! Always honored to be on any of your lists, CC

Last edited:
Well done @Mouse

And thanks for the :ninja: vote @Boneman

And thanks for all the mentions. You know who you are, probably ;)

And to everyone who entered, just think of this - no one in the history of the universe has ever put those words down in that particular order to tell your unique tale. Mind-blowing (y)

Back