Anybody here writing for children?

I once wrote a cute Star Wars story for my daughter... When she was maybe five or six.

I used to try writing stuff for the 8-12 range. It has been a while since I wrote that, although I did revisit one of the stories from a structural perspective, getting my head around how the story was made and why it didn't work. If I'm doing NaNo I'll usually write teen/YA, just because it flows more easily.

I remember @Perpetual Man had some children's fiction several years back. There'll be others too :)

I used to try writing stuff for the 8-12 range.
That's sort of the age range I'm interested in - maybe a little more 6-10 (first to fourth grade in US) I'm working on science-based but speculative fiction, trying not to use incorrect basic information. For example, I've got a talking frog, but all the science is right and his name is Rana.

It's always fantasy of some flavour I try to write. The main stuff I worked on for that age range was a series of pirate books with my dad. There's not enough pirate fiction around. I can't see I've seen too much scientifically accurate talking frog fiction either...

I'd like to generally discuss and maybe share some work.
When my daughter was little she told me the secret of writing for children: the children get the advantage over the grown-ups. The children win. It's Roald Dahl's secret. Harry Potter too. There you go. Lol ...

It's always fantasy of some flavour I try to write. The main stuff I worked on for that age range was a series of pirate books with my dad. There's not enough pirate fiction around. I can't see I've seen too much scientifically accurate talking frog fiction either...
I definitely agree about pirates. I got into "scientifically accurate" because The Very Hungry Caterpillar sent me apoplectic. lol Kids love it, but it's all wrong; and it would have been so easy to be right.

After Harry Potter all the wannabe YA writers were getting into magic as the ticket -- but magic wasn't the heart of Harry Potter -- magic was the vehicle for his outwitting the adults?
But the magic is super! I'll might get trolled, but I love those books.

But the magic is super! I'll might get trolled, but I love those books.
No problem with the magic. But Harry Potter was a winner over the grown-ups. That was the real magic of Harry Potter?

Enid Blyton: the kids are the smart ones. They solve mysteries grown-ups can't?

Children don't want to be lectured or taught when they're reading for recreation? Much like adults, I suppose?

Oh well ...

Last edited:
I wrote a picture book story for my daughter when she was three or four (with her as the main character), but I never got around to submitting it or looking for an illustrator. She's 25 now, but the idea has grown into half a dozen stories, so when I finish my current project I'm planning to contact a local cartoonist who would be ideal.

If Harry Potter works for that age range....
I'm pretty sure my books would work; however, I did not write them for that age range.
The originals were too long--I think--for that age range and some of the Harry Potter are longer than mine.
I did begin separating them into smaller chunks--so maybe they are good for that age range.
However the Protagonist is more in the age range of 16 years old.

I have an idea for a story about smart kids solving problems in clever ways to rescue themselves. Interested in discussing how to write for kids.

Do people genuinely have an interest in writing what they don't read?

Well, I wrote my YA novel with no particular interest in YA. I wrote it for my daughter, who complained she couldn't find the kinds of novels she wanted. I read a few YA novels during the course of writing the novel and enjoyed them, but my reading interests lie elsewhere. I thoroughly enjoyed writing the book, though.

I write stories that excite me and that I enjoy writing. Genres aren't really a consideration when I formulate a story and I don't care if I don't read similar material.

Back