DISCUSSION -- JANUARY 2020 300-word Writing Challenge (#36)

I was a little worried that not everyone would know the story of the Mary Rose - especially our overseas cousins, but it looks like my fears were unfounded.
No need for worries. You explicitly named the ship in 35-word long description of the gun and in combination with the question 'when'. It demanded googling the Mary Rose.

Congratulations Victoria! Your story was on my shortlist, but just lost out. As most with the majority of times I am drawn to your stories it was the use of words and language that caught my attention.

A big hoozah, to my fellow runner-up mosaix (who I did vote for) and to Phyrebrat and TJ for their joined bronze medal.

Thanks to:
for their very kind votes.

All the submissions were fantastic. I really enjoyed reading them!

Question is this the right thread to ask for feedback on our stories?

Very well done @Victoria Silverwolf

Thanks @elvet and @Mr Orange for two glorious votes, that kept my chin up.
and then thanks also @scarpelius for my one and only additional mention.

The pic put me in mind of the middle earth maps. I didn’t go and check, in case I remembered wrong, I just went with that theme.

Well done one and all, keep up the great work.

Congratulations, Victoria! Well done to everyone who entered.

I've thanked those folks who voted for my story, and I'd like to send big thanks to Azoraa, LittleStar, and Scarpelius for the mentions. :)

Next three hundred worder starts April 1, as hopefully will spring, too, in the colder climes. See you all there, CC

Congratulations @ Victoria Silverwolf for a very worthy win. Your entry was outstanding and as soon as I read it I had a sneaking suspicion it would be the winner, or at the very least in the mix (bearing in mind it was one of the early entries).

Thank you to Your Honour for the vote and kind words and to Elckerlyc , elvet and Ursa Major for the mentions.

Congrats @Victoria Silverwolf.

Thanks to @mosaix, @BigJ and @telpereon for the votes and the mentions folks.

I've been in a, writing funk over the last year which resulted in the entry. I was having my Saturday coffee, trying to work out the middle part to a tale based on the Tron light yacht. The start was fine, the end I was really happy with but the middle... absolute nightmare. I wrote Coffee Shop Dreams instead on my phone.

Sometimes it works.

Congrats @Victoria Silverwolf.

Thanks to @mosaix, @BigJ and @telpereon for the votes and the mentions folks.

I've been in a, writing funk over the last year which resulted in the entry. I was having my Saturday coffee, trying to work out the middle part to a tale based on the Tron light yacht. The start was fine, the end I was really happy with but the middle... absolute nightmare. I wrote Coffee Shop Dreams instead on my phone.

Sometimes it works.
Imagined you in a coffee shop writing it. Great piece.

I'm so late to give thanks and my shortlist. I think I gave a thumbs up to those people who mentioned or voted for my tale, but I'd like to particularly thank @chrispenycate, @Abernovo , @Luiglin , @Dan Jones, @M. Robert Gibson, @Elckerlyc, @Star-child and @etaylor

My shortlist was:

Guttersnipe
Mosaix *
AMB*
Dan
Elcklyc
Shyrka
Green fox
Star-child
TJ*

I couldn't decide whether to give Star-Child or Mosaix my third vote and in the end it went to the Mary Rose because it stirred in me a sense of empathy that was a little odd. SC's entry also had me feeling rather upbeat because I struggle with Hard SF (I like it, but I didn't do well at the sciences in school apart from Biology) but I could follow his entry clearly and I think that's a testament to his own writing rather than my intelligence.

Apologies for the delay, been v hectic of late.

pH

Just couldn't come up with anything worth showing off, I'm afraid. Got no more than a few lines in at most this quarter and just broke down. Disappointed in myself over it, it was a hell of a picture to springboard off of.

Back