DISCUSSION -- JANUARY 2020 300-word Writing Challenge (#36)

It's the last day for voting...

...so, as I type this, there are only 14½ hours left in which to vote.

A good mix of stories this quarter, though as ever a number I simply didn't understand even on repeated readings.

Anyhow, my shortlist:

AMB -- The Spring House
mosaix -- Not Long Now
Mr Orange -- A Place
Perpetual Man -- The Most Improper Introduction of Modern Innovations to an Older and Inflexible Mind
Peter V -- One Day
Phyrebrat -- The Rise of Woman
Rafellin -- The Beaching of the Marmaduke
Ursa major -- Putting the Cart into Cartography
Victoria Silverwolf -- From Hell's Heart I Stab At Thee

My first vote was easy as I immediately loved Peter's poignant tale of love, regret and a long wait on a bleak island. But I then had three major contenders for the two remaining votes and I spent quite a while reading and re-reading. In the end I plumped for mosaix's about-to-be-drowned time-traveller as I love the reveal of the Mary Rose (go see the Mary Rose everyone!!) and AMB for the sweetness of his tale of spring arrival. Fourth place, just missing the vote, was Ursa with his tale of an AI stranded on a world which doesn't deserve his perfection (I know the feeling...)

Sea-dragon island-towing thanks for the mentions/shortlistings johnnyjet, Elckerlyc and Dan, and gallows-high immortal-elixir thanks for the lovely votes AMB, olive, CC, Abernovo, LittleStar. Oh, and stealth votes from nixie, pH, and BigJ -- thanks!!

Hope you're feeling better now, Chris p.

Here are the full results of the Ursa jury, with the stories in posting order within the categories:

Honourable Mentions:
  • Compass Rose by Kerrybuchanan
  • CORRESPONDENCE FROM THE NEW WORLD by Elvet
  • The Rise of Woman by Phyrebrat

Runners Up:
  • From Hell's Heart I Stab At Thee by Victoria Silverwolf
  • One Day. by Peter V
  • Belief by The Judge

Winners:
  • Not Long Now. by mosaix
  • A Finely Woven Tapestry of Scars by johnnyjet
  • The Most Improper Introduction of Modern Innovations to an Older and Inflexible Mind by Perpetual Man

Congratulations, Victoria!

Congratulations, @Victoria Silverwolf Well done!
Many thanks to @Shyrka for another stealth vote, and to @Ursa major for the mention.
I am very pleased with how well my tale did, considering its unconventional presentation. When I saw the map, I couldn’t think of anything else—just a new start for these people and what they were leaving behind.

Congratulations, Victoria.

Huge thanks to Ian Fortytwo and The Judge for the honourable mentions.

Thanks for the votes Perp, UM, TJ, pH, LittleStar, Aber, Kerry, Shyrka, Danny and Olive.

Considering the slow start I had in the voting I was more than happy to come joint second with 10 votes.

I was a little worried that not everyone would know the story of the Mary Rose - especially our overseas cousins, but it looks like my fears were unfounded.

I share TJ's enthusiasm for the Mary Rose. The purpose-built exhibition down in Portsmouth is truly astounding. Don't miss it if you get the chance.

Edit: And thanks for the mentions IanFortytwo, johnnyjet, Elckerlyc, CC & MRG.

Last edited:

Back