5.04: Fear the Walking Dead - Skidmark

ctg

weaver of the unseen
RVLoziL.jpg

Charlie makes a friend, while Strand, Wendell, and Sarah's rescue mission hits a snag; Alicia, Luciana and Morgan struggle to fulfill their mission.

Children, a bit older than I thought but still a colony of children.

They really don't trust adults.

Was looking forward to seeing Wendell's hammer in action, Strand's impromptu use of the plane as a walker destroyer made up for it not working.

Looks like the same group who took Rick now have Al.

I love Daniel and the cat. I would have never figured out that the name of this episode would come from Daniel's cat. There is no way for the dead to chase on furry animal, except in large masses, and even then catching a cat would very difficult. I cannot figure how they would do it, as the cats chooses who they allow near them.

The Dead, I still cannot understand what motives them to keep going, when there is no point. In a way it's kind of stupid that the virus doesn't evolve any further, even though it commands a host, with a large brain. Yet, it's like nothing is happening there, and the zombie virus is happy.

I especially like that Daniel didn't really inherit his collection. He went out there and did it most probably all on his own. And all of it to just survive. The thing he is missing is the Living. There's no one really out there looking for him and in if the worst would happen, Skidmark could survive on his own.

aYxUVeo.jpg

So, I got the Zombie-Wagon location wrong, because I always associated the SWAT vehicle to Althea. It's just I don't get why Strand's next plan was to try to get Charlie to nick Daniel's plane. When did that become a good idea?

Daniel as a smart man had taken out the instruments, leaving Victor's gang completely stranded. And he wasn't impressed by Strand's ideas. To be honest, he should have taken the plane anyway, because it's not like the flight instruments are something that they cannot find anywhere. He could even have flown the plane old school way, at low altitude and used the land features to navigate.

I liked that Charlie figured out Daniel's BS without even really thinking about it. In a way, it's kind of right that he has now a reason to live other than just Skidmark. If he would have a heart, he would really think why Charlie is trusting Strand. And he didn't, before the whole shebang with Sarah taking the plane out from the compound.

If you looked closely, you might have noticed that at first the wings weren't installed, but then, somehow the skeleton got cleaned and the wings magically attached, while Sarah was taking it out from the yard. Oh man, :ROFLMAO:

QibRsAQ.jpg

The funniest killing device I've seen for ages in the TWD. Too bad Strand had to sacrifice the plane to save Daniel.

m4DRNTx.jpg

Here's a thing. How did they get Dylan to the gas station? Did the other two send him there, for just in case they needed him to lie. And Nixie were right when she assumed that the kids knew more than they had let out.

It made me smile, when Dylan turned out to be a double agent, and in fact, he'd fooled Morgan and rest of the adults with his childhood innocence. I am not, however prepared to call him a Little Prince, as there no nobility in that boy.

gEoCU81.jpg

So many kids, and none of them know how to really operate firearms. How did they survive the worst? What really happened to their parents?

So, I was wrong about a lot of things.

Daniel has never seen Wendell's hammer before, which makes you wonder in what capacity he met Althea and where she picked it up.

I didn't expect such a large group of kids, though I did expect more. I think i can understand them not wanting to leave the place they grew up in, except that after a nuclear disaster, I think even the most homesick might reconsider moving on.

I'm not sure if the parents' deaths was explained either. If it was radiation then wouldn't the kids be irradiated too? Wouldn't they all be contaminated now?

Daniel:
If he would have a heart, he would really think why Charlie is trusting Strand. And he didn't, before the whole shebang with Sarah taking the plane out from the compound.

Daniel really hates Strand for lying to him. He is not used to people lying to him. They generally tell the truth after he works on them a while. I'm glad Daniel was saved, but at quite a cost to them with the plane being trashed beyond repair. That must be worth him not shooting Strand.

Looks like the same group who took Rick now have Al.
I thought Althea was dead.
spoils that notion, unless it is returning back to a time just following on from her capture
The problem, if that is true, is that we are only ever going to get half the story until the films are released. They will never tell us the whole story about these people.

The problem, if that is true, is that we are only ever going to get half the story until the films are released. They will never tell us the whole story about these people.

Don't be so sure. They've already revealed more about the helicopter people than we ever knew. It's just, if they're using the helicopters, then are they wearing those silly g-suits? What is the point?

I'm not sure if the parents' deaths was explained either. If it was radiation then wouldn't the kids be irradiated too? Wouldn't they all be contaminated now?

Yes. I believe they would.The kids might even pick up things like graphite from the ground and get a radiation poisoning from it. Other kids, helping him or her, could be also contaminated and so on the cycle would go on. I don't think any of them have a proper science education.

By "all", I actually meant, wouldn't our 'protagonists' now also be contaminated from their contact with the kids?

(The plant engineer/manager never stopped stressing about the need to avoid contact with Walkers who were once her employees.)

By "all", I actually meant, wouldn't our 'protagonists' now also be contaminated from their contact with the kids?

(The plant engineer/manager never stopped stressing about the need to avoid contact with Walkers who were once her employees.)

Yeah, you are right. They would, and especially in the prolonged contact.

Daniel's existence struck me as being pragmatic but lonely.
He seemed to find limited daily purpose in filling the warehouse with survival supplies, but he couldn't fill the void left by Ofelia's death. Although he could blame Strand for sidetracking his search for his daughter, he could not be certain that the delay made any difference in the outcome.
Bonding with Charlie might have been therapeutic for Daniel. I wonder how he would feel about her if he knew she had shot and killed Nick.
Daniel's working relationship with Skid Mark was fun. Cats can become amazingly cooperative with anyone who feed them. I was surprised that he left his purring partner behind with the warehouse.
I thought Morgan had hit upon the secret being protected by the kids -- their zombified parents. Maybe I got that wrong. I thought that the kids, like Herschel and his walker-filled barn, might have thought the condition was curable and kept their parents some sort of enclosure.
I did wonder, like @ctg, how familiar those kids were with the weapons they were carrying. Didn't they get into the problematic "circular firing squad" formation when they surrounded the Fear Gang?
When the first G-Suited walker appeared, I thought he was wearing some sort of jury-rigged armor. If the suits are not needed for helicopter flight, maybe they provide a little added protection in close squabbles with walkers.
Using the plane props to slice and dice the walker herd was spectacular -- right up there with mowing them down with a cable strung between two cars and luring them into a trash shredder. Losing the plane was a pity, but it did show Daniel that the new Strand was willing to sacrifice his own interests to save Daniel -- something the old Strand would not have done.

I did wonder, like @ctg, how familiar those kids were with the weapons they were carrying.

To my eye they were completely in an unfamiliar territory. But that might be because they haven't been trained and I suspect most of them haven't even been in major battles. I would have been scared of them pointing guns at me and having an accidental miss fire.

The weapons itself were nothing they could have picked off from the ground or scavenged from the fallen soldiers. The ammo is the question at the end, how much they have and how much those kids are willing to carry, as hundred rounds can easily weight between three and six pounds.

If they would hit the rock and roll switch and go full auto I would believe that it would be waste of good ammo.

Didn't they get into the problematic "circular firing squad" formation when they surrounded the Fear Gang?

In that shot I shared, they had kids behind Morgan and Althea. Think about them hitting the dirt and kids spraying everywhere. It would most probably be a blood mess and lots of dying kids.

When the first G-Suited walker appeared, I thought he was wearing some sort of jury-rigged armor. If the suits are not needed for helicopter flight, maybe they provide a little added protection in close squabbles with walkers.

If I would have armour like that, I would turn it over, attach a pump to a water reservoir, and the pump to helmet with a small solar panel to circulate cooling liquids. I suspect that the producers wanted the helicopter people to look weird.

About the October 13. I was surprised to see that date on the wall, as it's mine and Boneman's birthday. I know the last week title was also connected to me. And there has been things, unexplainable stuff that has happened to me.

I know that AMC has changed over the years the language to adapt the style we used as they've moved from the Walkers to the Dead. I cannot explain all these strange coincidences any other way than the God connection. I don't think FTWD or TWD producers intentionally place these things, but I think you should know that I find it spooky and super weird.

The whole thing feels to me as if God wanted to tell me that I'm a good man and that I'm a survivor. A man with a heart like John, and mind like Daniel's. Ain't that strange?

I'm sorry if above offends you guys in anyway. I have found that kind of stuff spooky for a while, and I cannot get out the coincidences out of my head. Hopefully, by telling you guys, I can feel better about these things.

I'm sorry if above offends you guys in anyway. I have found that kind of stuff spooky for a while, and I cannot get out the coincidences out of my head. Hopefully, by telling you guys, I can feel better about these things.
No offense taken. Anything you can say or write during this tough time to help you get through it is completely acceptable.

Reactions: ctg
Was there a reason that the shops had automatic weapon traps in them? I missed it. All set by one person?

The Walking Dead copter kills were great. I do wonder if some of the Walkers should after a while notice when the source of noise they can see clearly is just destructive. But noise is more tempting than living creatures or self preservation.

I'm a bit behind but the story seems to be getting rather fragmented. Presumably to come together by mid season.

Was there a reason that the shops had automatic weapon traps in them? I missed it. All set by one person?

It's not very clear and we don't know for sure, who lived there before. What we know is that whoever it was, he was good with traps and keeping weapons functional.