HBO's Chernobyl...

HBO’s mini series Chernobyl is very good.

Being an HBO production values are outstanding.

A British production shot in Lithuania , I am impressed how ‘Soviet-era’ looking it is.

I know they could not do it in Russian , but they keep the ‘background’ in Cyrillic.

Cast is excellent really feel one is watching a group of Russians.

That radimeter going mental at the end of the episode 2 was horrifying. I've played my fair share of Fallout games, and explored irradiated places, but never have I heard it going like that. Not even in the Stalkers games. Never in real life. To decode what it means, a one click is one bullet and that noise at the end was pure death. Poor men. Poor volunteers. Poor USSR and their inability to handle the most dangerous substance known to modern man. All those polibureaus, what good did they do?
That they did not have , or suppressed the deployment of sophisticated radiation measuring equipment at a date as late as 1986 is insane.
This kind of mind set was a major contribution to the collapse of the Soviet empire.
That modern Russians put up with vestiges of that in the 21st century passes beyond my understanding.

It's cool. I can't watch District 9, either. And Life freaked me out too. It looked good but I'll maybe pick up a book about it all, sometime. :)

Well, if my novel ever comes your way... PLEASE, don't read it. I don't want to get sued for inspiring therapy immune incurable nightmares and psychological trauma (besides, the poor writing costs folks I.Q. points... my theory being, if I can make them dull witted in a few lines, they'll think my stuff is great!). ;)

K2

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, if my Liberty Stumbled thing ever comes your way... PLEASE, don't read it. I don't want to get sued for inspiring therapy immune incurable nightmares and psychological trauma (besides, the poor writing costs folks I.Q. points... my theory being, if I can make them dull witted in a few lines, they'll think my stuff is great!). ;)

K2
As I said above written media rarely bothers me. As CTG says, I write pretty dark stuff weirdly enough

Well, that was a cheery episode, things are looking up! Okay... I lied, does the nightmare ever end? :cautious:

Nevertheless, I'm REALLY enjoying this series. Unfortunately (though wisely IMO), next week is the last episode. That leaves the big question. One that cannot be answered on this forum and unfortunately, will likely never be answered for everyone elsewhere. Not, 'how do you prevent such accidents?' That I suspect is addressed routinely. For me-- the big question is; how do you get ANY/every political system to put the people first?

That question naturally, is for elsewhere... Great show!

Alas poor Orwell. Truth will always be more terrible than fiction.

K2

Reactions: ctg
Chernobyl---The-Aftermath-019.jpg

Chernobyl---The-Aftermath-028.jpg

Well, that was a cheery episode, things are looking up! Okay... I lied, does the nightmare ever end? :cautious:

Nevertheless, I'm REALLY enjoying this series. Unfortunately (though wisely IMO), next week is the last episode. That leaves the big question. One that cannot be answered on this forum and unfortunately, will likely never be answered for everyone elsewhere. Not, 'how do you prevent such accidents?' That I suspect is addressed routinely. For me-- the big question is; how do you get ANY/every political system to put the people first?

That question naturally, is for elsewhere... Great show!

Alas poor Orwell. Truth will always be more terrible than fiction.

K2
The reactor (reactors) at Chernobyl suffered from poor design, the disaster there was just about as bad as one could ever have.
Three Mile Island and even Fukushima did not release as much radioactive debris.
Fukushima actually lost all three of its reactors but did not have their cores blown all over the country side.
The RBMK style reactors at Chernobyl build elsewhere but with better design.
The European reactors have different design and have never had problems.

On the show , which was shot in Lithuania used a decommissioned RBMK reactor almost the same as at Chernobyl , reason the 'world building' for the series looks so authentic!

It will never go away as long as we keep using nuclear reactors. On the other side of that is the problem of what we are going to do with the power needs? We go in space, back to Moon and the first thing we'll have to think about is the energy needs, hence they're going to use small reactors to charge the batteries of drones that will build the Moon base.

We know that the USSR hid a lot of these things, and the whole system collapsed five years after into its own impossibility. The US is still going strong, but it had its own levels of secrecy and things that come with it. The Pentagon hid the nuclear incidents from the public, and they weren't much better at it then the mighty Soviet Bear.

Today we have the renewables energy movement, and we have woken to the fact that what we do is ruining the planet. Many people are aware that the humanity is sort of cancer. Although that sounds nightmarish, we are learning to live with the consequences. Like what happened at Fukushima and why today we cannot talk about its consequences without getting into the territory that makes both sides uncomfortable.

The truth is we have played with hazardous and seriously dangerous stuff for a long time, and we cannot get away with it. Instead we have no choice but to live with it, and keep developing tools and advancing us towards the future if we want to survive. At the end of the day that is all we can do because there is no alternative.

There is no alien race that has come to rescue us or teach us from making mistakes. There is no examples of parallel worlds doing the same thing or a traveller from the future, trying to prevent the accident. It is important that we learn from these mistakes, as to the science, a failure is as important and sometimes more important than the success. The triumphs don't teach us what happens when the brown stuff really hits the fan!

I haven't seen this series. My son has recommended it. I probably will based upon these posts. I wanted to answer some points, hopefully without it being too political:
the big question is; how do you get ANY/every political system to put the people first?
It will never go away as long as we keep using nuclear reactors. On the other side of that is the problem of what we are going to do with the power needs?
We do need nuclear fission reactors, at least in the short term, if we are to reduce CO₂ emissions. Renewable energy is less easy to turn on and off and batteries are coming a long way quickly, but the current batteries need Lithium. Lithium and Uranium need to be mined at an environmental cost and are finite resources. Uranium stocks are as finite as coal and gas. In the future, we may work out something else better.

Accidents are always going to happen. They always have and yet they continue to cause surprise. They are usually, very simply because a human was stupid. They are often because poor standards were allowed due to corruption of bad budgeting, so allowing that initial stupidity to be overlooked by even more stupidity.

There are always going to be be government cover-ups, and conspiracy theories about government cover-ups. There was an industrial accident that caused a huge explosion in Gateshead in 1856. Thousands of people killed or injured and made homeless. Explosions seen and heard fifty miles away. During the inquiry by Lord Palmerston there was a rumour that it had been caused deliberately to remove the slum housing. The inquiry concluded that it was just an accident, but that it could have been easily prevented if safety had been a higher priority.

I find little difference really between that and most disasters, whether several recent industrial accidents, or what are commonly termed 'natural' disasters. The size of the death toll is generally a result of poor risk management systems in place rather than the actual hazard itself.

Nothing is ever black and white, good and bad. It is the lawyers and politicians and the newspapers who want it portrayed that way. Real life is always much more nuanced.

How can you get people put first? Education. Better educated people who understand the science behind the arguments, who understand the nuances, who understand the difference between a hazard and a risk; because they will ask the right questions, those people will make sure the government speaks to them intelligently and it won't tell them instead, "we know best for you because it is too complicated for you to understand."

How can you get people put first? Education. Better educated people who understand the science behind the arguments, who understand the nuances, who understand the difference between a hazard and a risk; because they will ask the right questions, those people will make sure the government speaks to them intelligently and it won't tell them instead, "we know best for you because it is too complicated for you to understand."

The old Soviet Union was an odd duck. Marx would have been horrified to know that it was Russian that attempted his experiment. Russia traded a Czar for another Czar with a different classification , no matter the social/economic experiment the Russians came out running under a Chieftain and a wide ruling aristocracy with all those names changed. Ordinary urban Russia looks like the modern world today , why they still have a strong man rule is a puzzle.

Ordinary urban Russia looks like the modern world today , why they still have a strong man rule is a puzzle.

It looks like that in places, but dig little deeper and you'll see it's very bleak. The problem with strong arm rule is that it's a tradition and their traditions are hard to westernise. There are a lot of things that Mr P could have done differently, just like many of his predecessors. And most of all they still think themselves as a superpower, even though it's in the twilight years.

One thing that they have common with the US and China is the secrecy. Even today. Even after everything that has been done, it's still a big thing. You saw it in the latest episode with the West German robots. They told the manufacturers totally obscure number for the radiation levels, and the West German did the robot to a spec.

Why is it that time after time we keep hitting our heads against the same problems?

It looks like that in places, but dig little deeper and you'll see it's very bleak. The problem with strong arm rule is that it's a tradition and their traditions are hard to westernise. There are a lot of things that Mr P could have done differently, just like many of his predecessors. And most of all they still think themselves as a superpower, even though it's in the twilight years.

One thing that they have common with the US and China is the secrecy. Even today. Even after everything that has been done, it's still a big thing. You saw it in the latest episode with the West German robots. They told the manufacturers totally obscure number for the radiation levels, and the West German did the robot to a spec.

Why is it that time after time we keep hitting our heads against the same problems?
On the show they made it look like the German robot stopped working when it was turned on, I read that it did work for some while but did eventually get zapped.

Put on your lead fez... or your radiation-proof knight's helmet if so inclined...

81jfMipJL6L._SY445_.jpg
Protective-lead-cap-X-ray-Protective-Aprons.jpg

Grab your thyroid shielding... Don't forget your lead vest and skirt...

41ak%2Bx52XiL.jpg
radiation-protection-category-image416px.jpg

And whatever you do, don't forget your lead panties!

7458.jpg

For you more modest types....

TB2sa0gnXXXXXcRXpXXXXXXXXXX_!!2809558601.jpg

The last episode is on tonight! I wonder what will happen? :unsure: Why, it might even make history!

K2

Reactions: ctg
Wow...

That was an excellent ending. For anyone who hasn't watched this five part series yet, I strongly advise you take the time to do so.

As an example, there is a very short scene, well after everything that has happened, even the trial, and the KGB's Deputy Chairman is telling Valery Legosov (the primary scientist involved in heading all this off), what his fate will be for telling the truth. The words and actual punishment levied upon Legosov who is trying to prevent the accident from happening at their other reactors was nothing short of 1984's O'Brian telling Winston Smith in 'Room-101' what his fate will be. As terrible as all else was, that crushing oppression relying on Ministry of Truth quality lies is staggering.

It was truly a wonderful series and the ending had just as much if not more impact than every other episode. If it comes available, I'd really like to post that one scene I mentioned above, and if not, I may try and watch it again just to transcribe it.

I cannot suggest strongly enough, if even simply for entertainment purposes, that folks watch this.

K2

Ah, what I was looking for mentioned above:

hbo-chernobyl-jpeg.jpeg

There is a bit more before this quote which is equally unsettling (the first line hinting at it), yet this is all I could find so early...
Charkov: No one's getting shot, Legasov. The whole world saw you in Vienna; it would be embarassing to kill you now. And for what? Your testimony today will not be accepted by the State. It will not be disseminated in the press. It never happened. No... you will live, however long you have. But not as a scientist. Not anymore. You'll keep your title and your office, but no duties. No authority. No friends. No one will talk to you. No one will listen to you. Other men, lesser men, will receive credit for the things you have done. Your legacy is now their legacy; you will live long enough to see that.

K2

Good luck with that :( can't say any really otherwise we'll stay into politics.

Great series though

HBO's Chernobyl miniseries aired its finale tonight, concluding its tale of the real-life nuclear disaster at the Chernobyl Power Plant on April 26, 1986 near the city of Pripyat in the Ukraine. It's a story that, despite being brought to life over the course of the series' five episodes, is a very real one and a complex story about not just the disaster itself, but complex and horrifying series of human errors, lies, and corruption that led to the fateful explosion. That means that several of the characters in the series are based on real people, including scientist Valery Legasov and for actor Jared Harris, that came with its own unique set of challenges.

In an interview with The Cheat Sheet, Harris said that one of his great challenges in preparing for his role as Legasov was getting his hands on historical records about the man -- including the audio tapes Legasov recorded his own story of the Chernobyl disaster on before taking his own life -- because much of the historical record about Legasov has simply been erased.

"There weren't audio tapes," Harris said when asked if he had listened to Legasov's tapes to prepare. "He left behind journals. But that's not as cinematic as audio tapes. They're very hard to get a hold of. In fact, there's not a lot of him left in the historical record because they basically wrote him out of the story. They erased him from history. That's what they were trying to do as a threat ... to stop him from trying to get the story out."

In Chernobyl, as in real life, Legasov spoke out about the safety risks and design flaws in the Soviet Union's RBMK nuclear reactors wanting the design flaws addressed so as to prevent additional disasters like -- or worse than -- Chernobyl. However, his outspokenness was not well-received, resulting in Legasov not only facing pushback within the scientific community, but ultimately his erasure from the record -- a not uncommon tactic within the former Soviet Union.

Ultimately, Legasov took his life two years after the disaster as was depicted in Chernobyl's first episode and while it is impossible to know exactly why Legasov ended his own life, Chernobyl strongly implies it is as a result of the disaster. This implication is somewhat backed up by an interview his daughter Inga Valerievna gave to Russia's Moskovskij Komsomolets in 2017 in which she noted that the disaster changed him.

"After the Chernobyl disaster, my father rethought a lot," Valerievna said. "He was a patriot, seriously worried about what happened, for the country, for the people touched by the accident. He was worried about unborn children abandoned in the animal alienation zone. This agitated mercy, which was inherent in him, apparently, burned him from the inside."
HBO's Chernobyl Star Jared Harris on the Challenges of Playing Valery Legasov

HBO's five episode Chernobyl miniseries tells the story of the real-life nuclear disaster that occurred at the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Soviet Ukraine on April 26, 1986, digging into both the human stories of the horrific disaster as well as the corruption, the lies, and the human costs associated with the event. It's a story so difficult and, in some cases, gruesome, that it may not seem like the first choice of story to tell, but for series creator Craig Mazin, it was a story that needed to be told, largely because it's one he became invested in out of personal interest.

Speaking with BAFTA Guru about the writing of the Chernobyl miniseries, Mazin explained that the series came out of his own interest in the disaster, specifically after he started researching it for himself and fell in love with the personal stories of those impacted by the disaster.

"So, I started researching Chernobyl because I was just generally interested in it and after a couple of weeks of just falling in love with these stories which were so heartbreaking and so shocking I went to Carolynn Strauss, who is an executive producer of Chernobyl along with myself and Jane Featherstone, and she and I went to HBO and said 'here's what we want to do' and HBO said 'okay, let's see if you can do it.’ " Mazin explained. “Essentially it started because I was fascinated with a simple question: why did Chernobyl happen? And the truth of that is in my mind more shocking than the actual explosion itself.”

Doing it included taking an approach to the story that respects what the audience already knows about the disaster. With the Chernobyl disaster happening just over 30 years ago, it's an event that many people were alive to experience, even if that experience was simply news reports about it from thousands and thousands of miles away in other countries. For Mazin, this approach meant not waiting to show viewers the disaster; it's something that is shown right away.

"I always felt that the story needed to be told in a certain way and that that way was respectful of the audience, respectful enough to say 'you all know that this thing blew up. I'm not going to make you wait five episodes for anything to blow up nor am I going to make you wait one episode for something to blow up.' It's not about the explosion. I want to show you what it's really about and I want to tell the story through the lens of people, and these are the three people I want to do it with and that's how I'm going to go."

One of those three people was Valery Legasov, one of the real-life scientists involved in the investigation of the disaster. Jared Harris plays Legasov in the miniseries, a role he explained in an interview with The Cheat Sheet came with the challenge of having a difficult time finding some records of the man.

"There weren't audio tapes," Harris said when asked if he had listened to Legasov's tapes to prepare. "He left behind journals. But that's not as cinematic as audio tapes. They're very hard to get a hold of. In fact, there's not a lot of him left in the historical record because they basically wrote him out of the story. They erased him from history. That's what they were trying to do as a threat ... to stop him from trying to get the story out."
HBO's Chernobyl Creator Craig Mazin on How the Series Came Together