Catch HBO's Continental Drift....

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
Is there another continent to the west of Westeros? Does this picture (http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/215502_1602082065366_1635524625_1265703_7607347_n.jpg) depict it? Or is it the eastern coast of Essos?

(Picture linked from Thrones’ opening credits attracting much attention and acclaim - Winter Is Coming.)

EDIT:

By the way, Werthead** (under an alias ;)) posted this in the comments to that article:
The map is of HBO’s own creation, apparently done on the fly for a bit of flavour. It’s non-canon. By word of GRRM, there is nothing north of Essos to the polar ice cap apart from Ibben, a pretty small island. If there is another landmass to the west of Westeros – AFFC hints there might be – it would be much further west than that, and wouldn’t be made up of copy-pasted and flipped bits of the North, the Stormlands and Dorne
icon_wink.gif

Essos is about the size of Eurasia, meaning it extends for 7,000-odd miles to the east of Westeros. But that still leaves a distance equal to the entire Pacific Ocean, the entire North American continent and about two-thirds of the Atlantic before you wrap around and reach Westeros once again. And that only counts if Martinworld is the same size as Earth. He’s already said it’s notably larger.

Has GRRM's world shrunk? I only ask because Westeros used to be said to be the size of South America, but more recently has been described as being more the size of western Europe. Has the worl shrunk to match this (supposed) change or not?

** - I believe, though I may be wrong.

Last edited:
No, that's me :)

Westeros is the length of South America. I know GRRM has said size, but he wasn't striving for laser-sharp accuracy. It's 3,000 miles from the Wall to the south coast of Dorne, and there's about another 1,500+ miles north of the Wall until the continent reaches the northern polar icecap. Because Westeros is so narrow and indentured with bays, it's nothing like the area of South America (SA is 3,000 miles wide at its widest point, Westeros is never more than about 900-1,000)

Because of this, if you take Westeros and lay it on its side, it would stretch (including beyond the Wall) from Portugal to Kazakhstan, and would be very similar in size overall to Europe (the whole thing though, not just Western Europe).