• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

HBO's Chernobyl...

-K2-

mƎ know duM!
From Forbes (unsure if I should post link)...
‘Chernobyl’ Ends Its HBO Run As The Highest Audience Rated TV Series In History

A few highlights from the article:

Viewers have rated Chernobyl the highest scored television series in history, according to over a hundred thousand votes on IMDB.
The top ten list has not changed since two weeks ago, nor after last night’s finale, which I think everyone can agree was great. But now Chernobyl has more than doubled its number of votes from before, and kept its exact same high score.
  1. Chernobyl (9.7 – 111,000 votes)
  2. Planet Earth II (9.5 – 71,000 votes)
  3. Band of Brothers (9.5 – 317,000 votes)
  4. Planet Earth (9.4 – 147,000 votes)
  5. Breaking Bad (9.4 – 1,200,000 votes)
  6. Game of Thrones (9.4, 1,500,000 votes)
  7. Our Planet (9.4 – 10,000 votes)
  8. The Wire (9.3 – 244,000 votes)
  9. Cosmos (9.3 – 95,000 votes)
  10. Blue Planet (9.3 – 19,000 votes)
I'll leave everyone to find their preferred source for movie reviews and check there. 'Forbes' was simply something that popped up on my screen, yet, is by no means a source I trust for absolute answers.

K2

Al Jackson

From Forbes (unsure if I should post link)...
‘Chernobyl’ Ends Its HBO Run As The Highest Audience Rated TV Series In History

A few highlights from the article:

Viewers have rated Chernobyl the highest scored television series in history, according to over a hundred thousand votes on IMDB.
The top ten list has not changed since two weeks ago, nor after last night’s finale, which I think everyone can agree was great. But now Chernobyl has more than doubled its number of votes from before, and kept its exact same high score.
  1. Chernobyl (9.7 – 111,000 votes)
  2. Planet Earth II (9.5 – 71,000 votes)
  3. Band of Brothers (9.5 – 317,000 votes)
  4. Planet Earth (9.4 – 147,000 votes)
  5. Breaking Bad (9.4 – 1,200,000 votes)
  6. Game of Thrones (9.4, 1,500,000 votes)
  7. Our Planet (9.4 – 10,000 votes)
  8. The Wire (9.3 – 244,000 votes)
  9. Cosmos (9.3 – 95,000 votes)
  10. Blue Planet (9.3 – 19,000 votes)
I'll leave everyone to find their preferred source for movie reviews and check there. 'Forbes' was simply something that popped up on my screen, yet, is by no means a source I trust for absolute answers.

K2
Band of Brothers (9.5 – 317,000 votes)
K2
I loved Band of Brothers on HBO one of my favorite shows, but years later HBO did THE PACIFIC about the war in the Pacific and I guess not a lot watched it? To me is was as good a Band of Brothers , I give it a 9.5.
Maybe it's beause the war in Europe is more popular than the war in the Pacific?

ctg

weaver of the unseen
Supporter
Photographer Tom Skipp visited Chernobyl and nearby Pripyat, its replacement town Slavutych, and the abandoned sites of the region – meeting the people behind the disaster: from the liquidators who worked at the fallout site, to the resettlers and the community who live and work in the area now

I arrived in Ukraine on the eve of the 32nd anniversary of the Chernobyl disaster. I had not intended for it to be the focus of my time in Kyiv, but leading up to my departure it became an obsession. My arrival in Kyiv on 25 April 2018 was maybe happenstance of planning but I was impelled to head straight from the airport to Slavutych. This was the town built to replace Pripyat and host the evacuated personnel of the Chernobyl power plant, after the decision was made to continue power production following the disaster. All of the Soviet republics were called upon to hurriedly help with the construction of what would eventually be the last atomic town.
Chernobyl now: 'I was not afraid of radiation' – a photo essay

Nearby, there are cooling lakes full of oversized fish. They used to be farmed to feed bears for the local fur industry, but after the accident the furs were too contaminated to be worn and the fish were left to their own device.
:LOL::LOL::LOL: Doesn't these fishes know they are over the regulation? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: It is almost as funny as feeding them to bears and then realising they're full of radiation, when the bears get a radiation poisoning and start to lose their fur.

Lumens

Writer of wrongs
Supporter
Highly recommended! Amazing and terrifying at the same time. You really get a feeling of being there (and you really don't want to be there for real). The music is fantastic too - very minimal and experimental, and for me it's worth it just for that alone.

It's clear that they wanted it to be realistic and scientifically accurate, and as far as I can tell, they succeeded. As others have mentioned, they have captured the period well. You get a very good insight into what happened, even as an layman. The politics are intersting too. I can understand why it got high ratings.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
I echo what everyone else has said. I feel educated now on the reasons for the accident as I hadn't quite understood the complexity of the situation, or that it was not simply a case of 'operator error'.

It was quite a cast too. I'm sorry, but I just couldn't get over that the dad from 'Friday Night Dinners' was the 'bad guy'. (It was worse than 'Sansa' becoming 'Jean Grey'.) When you saw the photos of the actual people at the end, they had chosen actors who were incredibly good likenesses. Paul Ritter is almost identical to Anatoly Dyatlov.

It was a pity that they needed to create the composite character of Ulana Khomyuk in order to tell the story of all the various scientists who worked behind the scenes. I just feel that fictionalising the story too heavily could have detracted from the message it wanted to send.

IntoTheBlack

Supporter
Hello all,

I watched this with my wife, who is Ukrainian. She felt it was representative of the times, people were generally ignorant of radioactive sources. The government did not do anything to educate before the reactor explosion and certainly did not want to admit they knew of a flaw afterwards.

Her father was offered a job to go and cut trees down in the forest near Pripyat, his wife (Kamila's mother) would not let him go which could be why he is 86 today. (y)

He took another job in a factory where he was management, so got a glass of wine at lunch time to cope with any fall out from Chernobyl. Not iodine but wine :)

Kamila thought the show was fantastically accurate, she was sad so many of them died, had birth defects etc. Due to their dispersal across the USSR it was hard to tell the true toll as there are other reason for such issues. But for some it would certainly be a contributing factor.

Kamila was under no illusion, if they could have hidden the explosion they would have.

A sad but cautionary and very relevant tale.

Andy :unsure:

MaxiPower

Sad that its gonna be how we end up. The way our world is going we have not seen the last of such disasters. All those films from the 80s showing a destroyed world in like 2100s etc seem more likely now than the cliche joke they were back then. We as a species suck. Whether terrorism or accidental we are going to bring this world to ruin.