Netflix Lost In Space

Actually, I wish I had re-watched s1, first.

You had your chance, but to be honest, you don't really need to refresh as there are enough of queues through all ten episodes that recalls everything that you'll need to know. And there is no explanation for the horses, other than they just happened to be there ... for just in case. The only reason to rewatch season 1 would to make all those connections clear.

There are no real hidden things other than couple of those flash recalls. They don't even annoy me in this series as they are all done correctly. The only mystery is the horses, as they just appeared and they now essential part of everything.

when Judy was forced to hike from the broken down chariot to the camp where her father had been injured, and those raptors were after her, she leaped across a chasm but the dinos could not quite make it, well, I thought that was unrealistic. But, other than that, well the whole thing is science fantasy, anyway.

I kind of liked the trek through the dino country, as it explained why they have borders. They have other fauna that are even more fantastical, but still possible if you accept that we are not alone in this universe.

Some trust in horses, some trust in chariots-- 'nuff said. Not going to get religious about it. :giggle:

I finished s2 last night, just about spent the whole day watching streaming video.

So, anyway, where did they get the idea to do only 10 episodes per year?

I am liking this best when I do not think of it as LIS, but just another sci-fi program. Still, it does have its merits, even when thinking of it as LIS. Comparing it to the remake of BSG Vs. the original, the 2nd season of the original was soooooooooooooooooo bad, but the Cylons were soooooo cool, especially their voices. That remake was just about as far removed from the original, as is here, & perhaps, more so, but it did have its naughty content that at least in the DVD of the film, made it very appealing to this dirty old man.

The idea of boy geniuses should be reserved for comedies. While I liked the cylons, I hated that kid (likewise the kid in TNG). I just hope Will R. does not become too smart. Smart enough to be helpful, but not so much that he saves the day too often!

Reactions: ctg
The idea of boy geniuses should be reserved for comedies. While I liked the cylons, I hated that kid (likewise the kid in TNG). I just hope Will R. does not become too smart. Smart enough to be helpful, but not so much that he saves the day too often!

What he has done doesn't need a genius level of intellect, he only needed to connect things together in such a fashion that makes him a star in the show. He kind of is that lucky, as they all are and as it was expressed in the show, Robinssons kind of pool together their resources and they tackle the problems by giving it to most suitable person. Will has a relationship with the robot and that makes him kind of unique, even though it seems that now the others can influence the robot.

Will the others, stranded once again in space, be able to do the same thing and connect back together is big question mark? Since this is a family show, it's very likely in my honest opinion.

Finally watched 2.01. Excellent!
I loved the comment that Papa Robinson has lots of sailing experience. I know Toby Stephens better as the dreaded pirate Captain Flint in Black Sails. :LOL:

Reactions: ctg
Started the 2nd season but found I barely remember where we left off last year. Rewatching from the beginning. Are there no episode discussions here?

Started the 2nd season but found I barely remember where we left off last year. Rewatching from the beginning. Are there no episode discussions here?
I watched s2 in just two viewings of 6 then 4 eps. putting all ten up at once makes that happen. It is like a good book, you just want to read it to the end, without pause.

Last edited:
I had five of the last seven days off from work, so I managed to binge-watch the entire season.
I give S2 the two thumbs up I gave S1. I rank the Netflix series above both the original series and the film. Some of the concepts are a little campy, but not overly so. I give the special effects a high grade.
Netflix might have injected a little more humor into the situations and characters, especially Mom. Lighten up, Maureen!
I would like to know why the robots are so murderously angry at the colonists. Did the humans step on some metallic toes at Alpha Centauri?
Although everyone keeps referring to "robots, it has become clear through Will's developing relationship with Robot One(?) that these robots are sentient creatures. even capable of learning human speech and showing emotion. Robot One has learned that humans have a good side, which was further demonstrated when they sacrificed a life to return his/her buddy, Scarecrow, to the repair shop.
I feared that, when Will confronted the attacking robot horde, he and the leader would hug, let bygones be bygones and live happily ever after. That would been disappointingly anti-climatic. However, a few acts of human enlightenment have not calmed the robotic ire.
I was surprised that Doctor Smith, the ultimate survivor, apparently died in her attempt to be a hero. Still, I saw only a space suit and an empty helmet floating out of the Resolute. I would not be surprised if the psychopathic doctor miraculously reappeared in a not-yet-decided S3. The series needs a character to boo.
As usual, Netflix ended the season with a major cliffhanger, but has not announced if the show will go on. Maybe at the end of 2020?

about e #10,
I find it sad, but necessary, that Dr. S, after having made-up with the Robinsons, lost their favor by failing to contact Mrs. R., who was in the command ctr of the whatever it is called ship, because she made a detour to avoid certain people. I think it would have been more interesting if the schism had yet to occur; yet, realizing that with only 10 episodes / season, they must move things rapidly.

General:
I would be much happier if they used some of the music from the 1960s series, especially the alien attack theme. Such as when the Keeper's giant spider was trying to munch on the occupants of the Chariot. :LOL: I think John Williams wrote all that music; if so, it must be good.

Someday, I will re-watch the original series. At the very least, the pilot & s1. With the state of special effects and costumes what it was at that time, they should have done the whole series in glorious B&W. Neither the Outer Limits nor the Twilight Zone would have worked well in color. Too bad J. Harris turned it into H. R. Puffinstuf Sid & Marty Croft drivel. Though there were occasionally good episodes in the color seasons, many were embarrassing to watch. I would rather mom caught me watching Speed Racer than some of those LIS color eps! :unsure: there ought to be an embarrassed smiley!

about e #10,
I find it sad, but necessary, that Dr. S, after having made-up with the Robinsons, lost their favor by failing to contact Mrs. R., who was in the command ctr of the whatever it is called ship, because she made a detour to avoid certain people. I think it would have been more interesting if the schism had yet to occur; yet, realizing that with only 10 episodes / season, they must move things rapidly.

General:
I would be much happier if they used some of the music from the 1960s series, especially the alien attack theme. Such as when the Keeper's giant spider was trying to munch on the occupants of the Chariot. :LOL: I think John Williams wrote all that music; if so, it must be good.

Someday, I will re-watch the original series. At the very least, the pilot & s1. With the state of special effects and costumes what it was at that time, they should have done the whole series in glorious B&W. Neither the Outer Limits nor the Twilight Zone would have worked well in color. Too bad J. Harris turned it into H. R. Puffinstuf Sid & Marty Croft drivel. Though there were occasionally good episodes in the color seasons, many were embarrassing to watch. I would rather mom caught me watching Speed Racer than some of those LIS color eps! :unsure: there ought to be an embarrassed smiley!

The original series should have kept the look and tone the first season. Smith should have become less of a villain but more of a strong and helpful antihero. That change alone would resulted in better stories.

The original series should have kept the look and tone the first season. Smith should have become less of a villain but more of a strong and helpful antihero. That change alone would resulted in better stories.
Care to elaborate? "the look and tone" but color had become the standard, & fat chance getting viewers for B&W (even though many homes still had B&W only). If "the look and tone" does not include color, I am at a loss for what it might be. O.k., the serious plots as opposed to kid-oriented, etc.

Final season, December 1st.
Happy that it's returning; sad that it's for the last time.
Streaming services might enjoy more success if they extended show seasons and shortened the time between them. Fans need to be fed more than a snack every few years to remember the taste.
There are lessons to be learned from the old network dinosaurs. ;)

For the show runner it was always three seasons, and he even says it in the interview. So for Netflix to honour that wish, well done. And well done for the Netflix for making the show reality. None of really expect for this one to come back from the grave and I doubt outside us, many remembered the original one. Millennials would never had touched it without this remake.

But I agree on the release schedule. We expect this to come out in faster cycle, but I guess this one is another Covid victim in the long line of shows that got pushed. For what they have in the store after losing ST to Paramounts insanity and the Expanse to Amazon, I don't know, but they certainly are not stopping.

I think that Lost In Space is a very good and intriguing show for all ages. If you let its magic to capture you and you let the sciency stuff to fly it's one of those quality gems that you want to really see. In the other hand they are expensive to make as most of the visual SF effect are computer generated.

The most memorable moments for me has been the robot interactions and the stuff they were doing in the glacier at the beginning of the season 1. From the second I mostly remember the robot being annoying for being a bad guy and at the end, there was no redemption for him.

With nearly two full years between the end of season 2 and the start of season 3, I needed a little more review than the standard "previously on." With that accomplished, I thoroughly enjoyed the final installment and wish more seasons were coming.
How about a sequel, Found in Space? Will Robinson and his trusty sidekick, Robot, could planet-hop the galaxy, looking for more worlds for Humans to colonize. I envision a 5-season mission. :)

I had to watch it twice, because I fell in sleep and Netflix doesn't recognise your state. To be honest a lot of time I felt that it wasn't my series. There was just too many kids and it troubled me that Will had stretched so much. In the final season he's almost three times the size of the original boy. Same thing applied to his brain as well, because somehow he's smarter than other kids.

Robot was just a robot. A smart, intelligent machine who everyone hates. The last season flip flops on the robot issues so much. Are they good or not? More surprisingly they have feelings. Huge feelings, including hatred towards every living thing. But I have to also say that their doomsday device is supremely frightening. How can so much power can be packed in so little thing?

Overall I think they did good, but the series isn't aimed for the older folks. It is very childish.

Will had stretched so much. In the final season he's almost three times the size of the original boy
A kid that age can gain a lot of altitude in almost four years. The pandemic can be blamed for that.
They did pack an extra year or so onto their trip to Centauri, possibly in an effort to account for Will's growth spurt. At least they didn't attempt to palm off a different actor in the role.
the series isn't aimed for the older folks. It is very childish.
And that's a problem how? ;) As one well into his "second childhood," I am regaining my appreciation of childish entertainment. :giggle:

They did pack an extra year or so onto their trip to Centauri, possibly in an effort to account for Will's growth spurt. At least they didn't attempt to palm off a different actor in the role.
I would have appreciated it with the spacers physic explanation associating growth to low gravity. In fact it looked so weird in the first setting, where they had vacuum of space above the secret valley. It had normal gravity instead of low. In the other places, they went to a super earth and nobody complained about the extra weight.

More so it bothered me that the kids who escaped and didn't do a detour didn't tell to Alpha Centauri people that the aliens are coming. And if they did, nobody was bothered. "Oh, they won't come here. You made sure of it." Yet, they had managed to do huge infrastructure projects, including making proper roads, installing hydroturbane to reservoirs and making sure none of them were really effed.

As one well into his "second childhood," I am regaining my appreciation of childish entertainment.
Some could say that I'm still living my first one. In fact, my Dad keeps telling me that they didn't wanted to let me move to the primary school and if the kindergarten people would have had their way, I would still be there. :giggle:

I watched s3 in a few days, & though I thought it was not really to my liking, it was o.k. I think that the whole idea of a society lacking weapons seems just too idealistic. Recall in earlier season Don had to make a gun using 3D printing. Everyone was irate! The very idea, a- a- a- ggg- gun! I must have overlooked certain details, but was Alpha Centuri a communal society? Everybody works together for a common goal. No thieves, no muggers, etc. Harmony.
The entire defense system was passive. Only the one guy had full knowledge of it, but he had been naughty, & was in jail. How could anyone not be working for the common good?
The original had the J2 lacking integral weapons systems, but had a rack full of Laser rifles, etc. Much use of them, too!

This thing about the robots' hatred of their creators; hmm. Seems I have seen something like it before. :unsure: and, there too, the fact that the robots had destroyed their creators was revealed suddenly; in that case, by sheer chance.

But I guess Scifi is about idealism; at least in some cases.

I think that the whole idea of a society lacking weapons seems just too idealistic.
I agree, I finished season 3 last night and it seemed to me that the colony would have larger 3d printers.

They have spent years on Alpha Centauri and it's the first human colony and their only defence is a shield that depends on a hydro-electric dam that wouldn't take long to render useless. Block the water outside the shield, right?

I liked the reveal of the robots hating all Masters. Gives a good reason why they hate humans and Will in particular, seeing him as enslaving Robot. I feel like there was more story to tell there, but at least they got a proper ending knowing it was their final season. So many series get stopped without the opportunity to resolve things.

I thought production values were high throughout and the acting was pretty decent. Enjoyable watch for all 3 seasons.