Discussion Thread -- April 2017 75-word Writing Challenge

Congratulations on the victory, HoopyFrood! And valiant effort, Stuart! :)

Ah, good gravy, this was unexpected! Even in the first round of voting I thought for sure someone else was going to pull ahead.

Big thanks to everyone who mentioned my story, and huge thanks to everyone who voted. I suppose I should also thank Judge for posting her stats which gave me the usual kick up the bum to enter the challenges again!

May's here already (pinch and punch) so better get cracking on the next lot!

Congratulations, Hoopy! A well deserved win. :)

And well done Stuart Suffel for getting to the tiebreaker. Quite an achievement too.

I suppose I should also thank Judge for posting her stats which gave me the usual kick up the bum to enter the challenges again!

So what you're saying is the rest of us can blame TJ for our losing this month...

Congrats, Hoops! A very good story, and you were actually an incredibly close second for me first time around!

Many thanks for the votes, TJ, Ashleyne, Heijan, Coast, ErikB, and Stable, and thanks also to those folks who mentioned or listed my story! I didn't know what I was going to write about this month, and inspiration struck late - but it was one of those times where once the idea floated into my head it came out on paper without much fuss, and thankfully needed very little trimming.

Congrats, Hoopy! Since I'm responsible for your win, can I take some of the credit?! (I'll ignore Cul's comment that I ought to take the blame, too...)

Commiserations, Stuart. I'm sure you look lovely in taffeta.

Congratulations Hoopy. :)

Also a big happy hug for everyone who took part. It was fun reading.

@HoopyFrood I'm afraid I must have missed your story the first time round... but after having a second chance to read it, I can see that you would have been on my mention list had I not been so stressfully rushing to vote in the first place :( Infact, you very almost nearly got my vote in the tie breaker, but I decided to stick to my guns. So... sorry about that. But a well deserved win! Congratulations!

@HazelRah - Best 75 word (can't tell if it was coincidental or purposeful) metaphorical summary of Perfidy by Ben Hecht. Seriously read it. It's non-fiction, and far more disturbing and horrifying than any novel...ever

I'm afraid it was purely coincidental. But thanks for the recommendation, I shall add it to my reading list :LOL:

So to explain my story briefly... I based it on the idea that perhaps at some point around the turn of the 21st century, a little old Jewish lady stole the soul from Hitler (because it looked nice), and therefore left him with inherently bad ideas and soulless tendencies. She didn't expect anything to come of it, he was just a young teenager at the time, who knew what the true price of adding this soul to her collection would be?!
I know it was subtle... Partly due to the limited word count, but also I thought the idea was so applicable to other events and situations, political and not, and so I didn't think the specificity to Hitler was integral (although perhaps it was after all o_O).

Not sure if that's the meaning you got @TheDustyZebra...?! But like you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and either way, thank you for the vote (y)

Last edited:
I'm glad you explained it, Hazel! I guessed from the title and the mention of the rabbi that it was something to do with the horrors of the Final Solution but I got the wrong end of the stick, thinking she was taking the soul of a dead person, so I was a bit confused who it was and how it fitted together! Nonetheless, if I'd had time and energy to do a short list, you'd have probably been on it.

Ahhh I never even considered that he may be seen as dead already! Hmm. I think this one fell victim to the limited word count... She's a fickle mistress, that 75 worder :whistle:
Ah well. Thanks for the would-be mention though!

@HoopyFrood I'm afraid I must have missed your story the first time round... but after having a second chance to read it, I can see that you would have been on my mention list had I not been so stressfully rushing to vote in the first place :( Infact, you very almost nearly got my vote in the tie breaker, but I decided to stick to my guns. So... sorry about that. But a well deserved win! Congratulations!

I'm afraid it was purely coincidental. But thanks for the recommendation, I shall add it to my reading list :LOL:

So to explain my story briefly... I based it on the idea that perhaps at some point around the turn of the 21st century, a little old Jewish lady stole the soul from Hitler (because it looked nice), and therefore left him with inherently bad ideas and soulless tendencies. She didn't expect anything to come of it, he was just a young teenager at the time, who knew what the true price of adding this soul to her collection would be?!
I know it was subtle... Partly due to the limited word count, but also I thought the idea was so applicable to other events and situations, political and not, and so I didn't think the specificity to Hitler was integral (although perhaps it was after all o_O).

Not sure if that's the meaning you got @TheDustyZebra...?! But like you said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... and either way, thank you for the vote (y)
It was clear to me anyway, and I thought is was interesting, for sure.

Yes, that's what I came up with! I hadn't realized, reading it before, that it had any particular meaning in mind, but when I was going back through and noticed the title, I saw that it was Hitler's soul, and it became a lot bigger story! :)

Boy I missed that entirely @HazelRah. But I like it better now.

My story was, as usual, plain as the nose on your face. I was thinking about fantasy and games, so (showing how my mind works) I thought of the Santa Claus bowling game from a few years back where elves were the pins. Bowling reminded my of the idea of "It's raining, it's pouring, the old man is snoring" ditty. And then I thought I would trade Santa out for Zeus and make the story as if it really were the God's bowling.

Back