Discussion thread -- March 2017 75-word Writing Challenge

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
Oh, good stuff! I looked at the dictionary listings for 'work'...there are so many that I think my typically ambiguously-themed/genred stories might actually seem to hit the mark for once!! ;)

Nice first entry, Ashleyne!

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
:) Really I didn't look 'work' up to learn the definition (I worked 31 years before retiring, after all), but because, well...the few times I've been lucky enough to win one of these challenges, I always have sort of panicked because I wanted to pick a genre/theme pairing that would yield a wealth of creative possibilities for potential entrants. Because of panic mode, I'd invariably feel inclined to pick something with the inherent creative promise of this:

genre: shelf-life-expired mango chutney
theme: inner tube

And when I saw 'Work' I thought it was terrific...simple on the outside, but with a wealth of potential meanings just below the surface.

So anyway...carry on... :)

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
I've been working on astounding myself, and after a lot of hard work, squeezing the writing in while I was at work, I have actually got a piece of work in early.

See that sentence worked, if not I'll try again and get working on it.

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Really I didn't look 'work' up to learn the definition
I often look up the challenge word in a dictionary to see if it has any rather obscure meanings (and I do this because** the meanings of which I am aware have not provided sufficient inspiration, and there's less than 24 hours to get my entry in).

** - Oh, and because it gives me more scope for word play, albeit sometimes (okay, often) at the risk that only I know that word play is involved :(.

Parson

This world is not my home
Supporter
Parson comes in singing.... "It's been a hard day's night, and I've been working like a dog. It's been a hard day's night, I should be sleeping like a log...."
What's that you say the theme is "work?" I best get to it then.

Parson

Supporter
@Ashleyne .... Is up to her elbows in the work of "Poo and Gold." But it's a stinky situation with handy arm regeneration.

@Cathbad
.... Is peeking into the Gnome workshop. He finds the work confusing and the management boiling. Where is "His Master Construct?"

@Wruter .... Is writing an ad for a working man who wants a job with a real chance of advancement to the afterlife of his choice. There is a "Full Time Barbarian Required."

@Perpetual Man .... Is looking through the eyes of God to a weeks work undone by a frustrating flaw in the design. He will try again because "If at First ..."

@Talysia .... Is working at programing level with the help of Pan. Pan flashes and dashes and crashes and then creates "Panacea."

@EPT Henry .... Is hard at work writing a book. The only problem is that technology has made the "Past, Future, Past" again.

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
That's true, Ursa...at times a quick dictionary search can yield a gem of forgotten meaning. I find myself checking, I think, genre definitions at Wikipedia, as often as I do theme words, in the dictionary. I'm really not familiar with all of the new genre labels; when I started reading in the 60s and 70s, my personal genres were: Liked It, and Didn't Like It (and Dinosaurs); I'd read anything, and not worry much about labels.

TheDustyZebra

Aspiring notaphilist
Staff member
Supporter
I often look up the challenge word in a dictionary to see if it has any rather obscure meanings (and I do this because** the meanings of which I am aware have not provided sufficient inspiration, and there's less than 24 hours to get my entry in).

** - Oh, and because it gives me more scope for word play, albeit sometimes (okay, often) at the risk that only I know that word play is involved :(.
Yes, this.

Cat's Cradle

Time, now, to read...
Supporter
It's possible I'm burned out on the writing challenges...(see current entry)...

Parson

Supporter
@Cat's Cradle .... is working at a future archeological cyber dig. The discovery of the day is a Chrons post which received no votes, but led to a wonderful discussion of the differences between a "Butt and a Buttress."

Luiglin

by day Stuart Orford by night Dark Lord's scribe
Couldn’t get the funny one to fit without missing the start, the middle or the end.

So I visited the opposite end of the emotional spectrum.

Calliopenjo

Since last month's entry was horrible, I'm not afraid of the truth, and the other was a bit depressing I thought something lighter for this month might work. :D

Enjoy the weekend.