Tv Shows that Started Out Good and Got Worse As they Progressed

I'll mention Revolution again. I loved the first season, for the most part, and the cliff hanger ending blew me away. No pun intended. But, sadly, from then on it lost its way, writing its own epitaph.

Absolutely brilliant concept which got messed up.

Sarah Connor Chronicles - great first season, don't know what happened for most of season 2. The only good season 2 elements were Shirley Manson and that episode on the submarine. Too bad, there was some potential there. They had a talented cast and a good story line to start with.
War of The Worlds - An oldie from the 1980's. An oddball notion for a series, I admit, but the first season was entertaining. Excellent depiction of the aliens and good characters like Ironhorse. It's a shame the second season was such a disappointment.

Sarah Connor Chronicles - great first season, don't know what happened for most of season 2. The only good season 2 elements were Shirley Manson and that episode on the submarine. Too bad, there was some potential there. They had a talented cast and a good story line to start with.
War of The Worlds - An oldie from the 1980's. An oddball notion for a series, I admit, but the first season was entertaining. Excellent depiction of the aliens and good characters like Ironhorse. It's a shame the second season was such a disappointment.

War of the Worlds had an interesting premise and great potential. It could been like the X files.

Castle.

The plot line about Becketts mother was slightly dull but only popped up occasionally, then Castle disappeared for some reason involving the CIA that the writers can't seem to quite agree upon and the series was terrible.The the loksat mystery in which super assassin's kill US attorney Generals for seeing one word on a document that has every thing else redacted, try to kill Beckett who is saved by Castle's super spy step mother. And as if assassin's who can gun down senior government officials and police captains in the street with no investigation isn't enough it somehow ties into castles disappearance.

It's like they were aiming for cancellation.

Andromeda It's fist two seasons were brilliant,This is a show which should have been another Babylon 5, but what happened? In season 3 the show took a spiraling nose dive. Season 4 was worse and season 5 was unwatchable.

Lost - started off well, but really outstayed its welcome after S3.

The Simpsons - first 7 or 8 seasons, pure class. But now, meh!

Last of the Summer Wine - Is this still doing the rounds? It was fun at the beginning with Foggy, Clegg and Compo. But after Brian Wilde (Foggy) left in 1997 and Bill Owen (Compo) likewise in 2000, it just lost its sparkle.

Some of us remember the pre Foggy episodes with Blamire. To think when it started it was about a workshy layabout and two men who had been made redundant. Over the years it evolved into the pensioners playtime it finally became. I think the last episode was made in 2010.

I take umbrage with Terminator: TSCC being on this list. I put the second season on my list of best TV seasons since 2001. I'd wrestle a bear over it.

Not a TV person since grade school, but to me the obvious answer is the original Star Trek. There never were enough good writers to turn out scripts that lived up to the series concept fast enough to feed the unforgiving once/week schedule.

The Simpsons has gone from cultural Cornerstone to a hollow shell over my lifetime.

The first ten minutes of The OA was amazing, from there it was a steady slow decline to the crapfest that was the last episode.

The Office (An American Workplace) should’ve stopped when Steve Carell left the show.

Once Upon a Time - Loved it in the beginning and then didn't have the time to watch it anymore part-way through season 3, but still kept up with what was going on via Internet sources. However, it completely lost me at about season 5 and just kept going downhill from there.

Eureka - I really enjoyed most seasons of this show, even after they messed up the timeline, but when they added in the storyline with the spaceship gone wrong expedition it just got to bizarre. I finished it, but the later end of the series wasn't as good.

Warehouse 13 - Loved the premise, but they lost me after they made Artie go kinda insane in season 4. Never did finish the series, but was told the end was rather rushed and unsatisfactory.

Dexter-First four seasons were brilliant. IMO, some of the best television ever produced, and season four saw John Lithgow firing on all cylinders as the Trinity Killer. After that: botched the Doomsday Killer story-arc, ruined characters like Deb, let Michael C. Hall run amok as director/writer/producer/head of catering/supreme overlord of the show. Plus, worst ending ever.

Game of Thrones-Season 8 was trash. There. I said it. G'head, get triggered. I relish in people trying to justify that junk. Danny's ridiculous heel turn, Dothraki hordes reappearing after getting annihilated earlier, Starbucks cups showing up on screen. Cerci and Jamie going out in the corniest fashion you can conceive. Punched 7 prior seasons of great televised fantasy in the groin. I will argue this until they shoot my remains into space to harass Martians.

Sons of Anarchy/Breaking Bad-Nothing ruins a brilliant show like making your lead characters degrade from compelling and complex anti-heroes, into jackass, bloodthirsty knobs. Walter White and Jax Teller were great characters, until the writing squad transformed them into everything you didn't want to see beloved characters become. Plus, the last seasons of both shows were disjointed, bloated, and riddled with non-compelling stories and progression.

Back