DISCUSSION -- January 2016 300-word Writing Challenge (#20)

I have a suggestion for the workshop forum:

All of us who've posted stories under 300 have to rewrite ours minus the forum's cumulative total of unused words.when I say rewrite, I mean tell the same story.

I'm happy to set up the thread when the voting's over - it could be a valuable exercise in editing. There'd just be no vote at the end.

pH
Or try to tell the same story (or part of it) in 75 words instead. :devilish:

Lots of sea, beach, and island! I was worried my piece would look out of place :oops:.
Thanks for the votes johnnyjet and Cascade!!! Absolutely made my day. Thanks for the mentions as well.

My shortlist:
-Victoria Silverwolf
-J D Foster
-Jo Zebedee
-Shyrka
-ratsy
-pambaddeley
-johnnyjet
-Tim James
-Culhwch
-Mad Alice

My votes went to:
Mr Orange - Loved the fusion of comical elements with sombre prospects of death and the compassionate hope gifted by a feverish subconscious. The penguin totally hooks the reader in at first sight.
Venusian Broon - Remorse veiled in detached and loyal pragmatism,a twisted sense of altruistic sacrifice, and heartbreaking punishment all rolled into one delightfully sad telling.
Robert Mackay - Another tear-jerker! I'm not really a dog-lover (I wouldn't move a finger if I saw a puppy in a blender :devilish:), but this story still moves me. A simple and effective portrayal of melancholy yearning.

Good job everyone.

I'm again impressed by the level of support for fellow writers and the enthusiasm in these challenges.

My votes go to:

Jo Zebedee: The emotion generated and the flow of the writing earned this vote.
Denise Tanaka: An epic tale. Always had one of my votes assigned it since I read it.
Ursa Major: Came in late, to steal a vote haha. Great original style of storytelling and the paranoia as the reader slowly realises whats going on.

Thanks to Starbeast for the mention.

Many thanks to JJ and Alex for the mentions. And, hang on. What's this? A vote from Beasty? Wow, was not expecting that. Thanks muchly.

You're immensely welcome Drof. I was moved by your story, it so sad, yet a great sci-fi tale.

Thank you for the vote Shyrka!, and the mention Starbeast. I get the feeling I've entered marmite this quarter :D ....

Heh Heh. You're very welcome StilLearning.

Wow! Thanks for the vote, Rafellin! That was a nice surprise since the competition was so strong. And thanks for the listing, Starbeast.

Absolutely Johnny. Keep up the awesomeness.

Thanks to Droflet and SB for the mentions and a huge thanks to Alex for voting for me!

You're welcome Ratsy. You do some very fine work.

Votes:Finalists:
Mad Alice
Ratsy
I Punch Ghosts
Alex Darion
Starbeast
Jo Zedebee
Ken Zulu

A big thanks to Shyrka & Beasty for the mention and final listing :)

Whoa! You made me a finalist. You made my night Vaz, thank you. And a big "you're welcome" back to you my friend.

I'm again impressed by the level of support for fellow writers and the enthusiasm in these challenges.

Thanks to Starbeast for the mention.

You're very welcome Inca_UK.

Thanks for the Hon Men, Starbeast.

Absolutely Pambaddeley. Keep em' flying.

Ugh, horrible month! So many great stories that my original 'short list' had pretty much all the entries on it! By means of being extremely ruthless and sacrificing a few goats I eventually managed to cut it down to something a little more manageable. So for those I don't mention, consider yourselves honorable 'short-listees'. Well done everyone!

Votes: Jo Z, Phyrebrat, Robert Mackay

Runners-up and I-wish-I-had-more-votes: Mr Orange and Mad Alice

Short list: Victoria S, Ihe, DG Jones, Vaz, Pambaddeley, LittleStar, Mosaix, Culhwch, Ursa Major, The Judge.

Thanks for the mentions, Alex D and StarBeast. :)

Thanks muchly for the finalist mentions :) I'm overjoyed :)

Finalists

Cat's Cradle - I_Punch_Ghosts - Victoria Silverwolf - J D Foster - JO Zebedee - Denise Tanaka - DG Jones - Vaz - Alex Darion -

Mr Orange - LittleStar - Willwallace - Johnnyjet - Venusian Broon - Mosaix - Chrispenycate - Glen - StilLearning - Quokka -

The Judge - Mad Alice​

Finalists:

Mad Alice
Ratsy
I Punch Ghosts
Alex Darion
Starbeast
Jo Zedebee
Ken Zulu

@Denise Tanaka - "Looking Back". A neat denial of glory, with adults doing what they do best: spoiling better instincts.

@The Judge - "The Song for the Seal Kin". For its imagination, clues that make sense upon re-reading, and emotional insights.

@Jo Zebedee - "The Way of the Hunt". I remember not having enough word count to do justice to a knife-wielding 'can he kill it?' ending in one of my short stories. This one, however, does it very well, distributing words as needed!

I hope to return here with shortlist!

Short-list mentions and votes are much appreciated. It perks up my Tuesday!

You're welcome Denise Tanaka. Keep that imagination flowing.

@Starbeast thanks for the Honourable mention :)

You're mighty welcome Azzagorn.

Many thanks for all the mentions and especially for the votes (3! Are you all mad? :D) I have a short list but need another read to decide.

You're welcome Jo Zebedee. Mad? School teachers helped.
three-stooges-dance-o_zps68e63075.gif

Ugh, horrible month! So many great stories that my original 'short list' had pretty much all the entries on it! By means of being extremely ruthless and sacrificing a few goats I eventually managed to cut it down to something a little more manageable. So for those I don't mention, consider yourselves honorable 'short-listees'. Well done everyone!

Thanks for the mentions, Alex D and StarBeast. :)

You're welcome Juliana. You aren't kidding, a ton of great stories this month. I had to start early on decision making.

Thanks muchly for the finalist mentions :) I'm overjoyed :)

You're very welcome Alex Darion.

Back