DISCUSSION -- January 2016 300-word Writing Challenge (#20)

Ursa major

Bearly Believable
Staff member
Supporter
The latest 300-worder is up. As always with the longer form, entries can be posted from the 10th of the month (in this case January), but that doesn't mean no-one can talk about the challenge until then.

And as ever, the image is only there to provide inspiration; your story does not have to reference it, even indirectly.

Beautiful image. Thanks for that Mr O. Now to recharge brain. Oooow, it hurts to think.

I like the image, not invoking anything straight away outside of Robinson Crusoe but I love the length of it, and how empty it looks.

Glad you guys like the photo. Won't spill the beans on where it is but thought it had some nice distinct elements (some obvious, some not so much) to draw inspiration from.

Of course I have absolutely no inspiration so far.

What are the boundaries of "other speculative fiction"? I have an idea for a (pre)historical story.

Great picture, Mr Orange.

What are the boundaries of "other speculative fiction"? I have an idea for a (pre)historical story.

Stories set in prehistoric times have often been published as science fiction, of a sort, since they are somewhat speculative by their very nature.

This image goes very well with something which occurred to me in the middle of the night, so I think I'll go with that.

Glad you guys like the photo. Won't spill the beans on where it is but thought it had some nice distinct elements (some obvious, some not so much) to draw inspiration from.

Of course I have absolutely no inspiration so far.

A nice and pleasant photo Mr Orange. It will be a pleasure to stare at this one, whilst I think up something.

Done! And edited down to 299 words of goofiness...I mean goof-eee-ness! Good luck with ideas and writing everyone. It's always so hard waiting till the tenth, isn't it? :)
Tomorrow I work on non-challenge fiction; I have three shorts I'm working on, which is very exciting.

I have scribbled down a very preliminary version. Literally scribbled, with a pen on three sheets of paper. Somewhere between 500 and 600 words. Now to let it sit a while, completely rewrite it, and ruthlessly edit it down to the bare bones.

Nice image! Got the first line the moment I saw it. First pass hit 342, double edit brought it down to 287. Love it when the story leaps from nowhere onto the page.

Must be a good stimulus; mine's done, too. Need to check with a couple of mods about words and phrasing which may need to be juggled if they take it over 300, but otherwise I'm ready the earliest I've ever been.

Don't tell @ratsy as I'm meant to be finalising my short edit for him

pH

That was a lot of work, yes. In fact, I would go out on a limb and say it probably took 10,000 hours of practice.

But it doesn't just take time...

...it's an indication of you wanting to branch out.

Back