Marvel's Jessica Jones

I'm currently five episodes into Daredevil. Have to admit, much as I'm enjoying it, I prefer Jessica Jones so far. I think this is because Daredevil has a more familiar type of story - at the moment, anyway. Plus it doesn't have that sense of paranoia that underpinned JJ, which I really liked.

Jessica-Jones-201-English-680x1006-616x911.jpg

Episode covers for JJ coming out tomorrow Jessica Jones Season 2 episode titles revealed in style

I know what I'll be doing all day tomorrow. 2 1/2 years waiting, mumble, gripe, scratch. JJ season one was probably my favorite single season from Netflix. I'm not taking anything away from DD season 2 (Kingpin). I just liked the harsher, psychological theme as well as the JJ Luke interactions.

I'm sorry for misleading you guys. So, many sources indicated 8th, the international women's day as the launch date for the series. At least the series is here and it's mostly good. I watched first episodes as it has become a tradition, but at 3am, I wasn't clear headed enough to do a review.

I'm slightly surprised and a bit annoyed that Jessica's life keeps churching at the bottom of the bottle. In fact, I thought for a while to name this review as the spirit in the bottle. The reason for that is JJ is in trouble and there's no easy way to get out from the trouble in the past and she's haunted by the ghosts of her memories. Someone could say JJ is perplexed by the mystery that gave her powers and she has never been more alone then she's at the moment at the beginning.

Her best friend is digging where she shouldn't, her investigative partner doesn't have the skills and the city has mostly forgotten the heroics JJ committed to save everyone. In a way JJ is a complete opposite to Luke Cage's fortune. She's almost an outcast and the cases aren't making anything better, in fact they're driving her deeper into the bottle to look for answers that has been hiding for decades.

I feel that JJ should have left them buried and carried to help the Defenders to make their living, because that alliance can save her more than relying on her unpowered friends. Iron Fist showed that doing that can cause troubles that can harm the city. Especially as more mutants are running around then ever before.

What perplexes me is the fact that they connect the larger Marvel Universe, but they don't allow crossings even if it would be suitable to do so. For example, the normal doctors rarely deal with the powered problems, and Dr Strange would have been more suitable to do "hypnotherapy" than "Patsies" shrink.

Well, I guess it's question of money than using the Marvel Universe to its full extent as it should and maybe if they had involved him, Stephen Strange would have felt compelled to help our Lady Detective.

Here are a couple of questions: What is really going with Hargrave? Why the powered lady from the past look like Typhoid Mary? And how many powered people they managed to make?

Ux5MtTc.jpg

One of the funniest moments, "Zap me God dammit!" JJ and Trish are like two teenage boys with toys. Only boys would have carried on, zapping each other.

I feel a bit perpelexed, if not mystified. The reason is the topic of female violence, and in the Jessica Jones case, female violence against each other. I have never understood it, but I know it happens because I've seen it in real life. Things that they do in this series against each other are going beyond the stuff that happens traditionally. To be honest, I'm getting a bit scared by the strong women types and I'm only in the episode five, where you can see Trish slapping her mother. It's true that mummy asked for it but seeing it committed by the weakest member of JJ's cast is shocking. Why are the men in this series so lovable and fluffy while the females are hard and angry?

There are no specific Spoilers below but I do talk about the direction of the plotlines.

The first season of JJ was my favorite first season on Netflix. This season while not bad disappointed me. Some may have been due to my high expectation but not all.

I could see what they were going for. They wanted to muddy the waters. Instead of an clearly evil bad guy who was like a weapon of mass destruction, they wanted someone who wasn't evil. Like a tornado. A destructive force of nature but with some redeeming qualities. In fact none of the antagonists where really bad guys. The PI was just an asshole. The doctor was misguided. The big bad had brain damage. Hell, Trish was as much a bad guy as the antagonists.

That brings me to the next thing I didn't like. Both Trish's and Malcolm's plotlines. They both started well but spiraled into crap. I absolutely hated where they both ended. I liked Trish. Past tense on purpose. Like JJ I don't think she redeemable as a friend or sidekick. She was a flat out lunatic. Malcolm wasn't so bad but I was really starting to like him as the man who wouldn't be fired. The guy determined to help. Now he's an asshole too.

There was also very little connection to the rest of the Netflix world. A tiny pinch of Foggy, someone I don't even like in Daredevil and a quick appearance of Turk the gun dealer. Not even one mention of what happened in Defenders.

Finally, I didn't buy the "It has to be done" conclusion that every one in the show jumped to. Yes she was very strong but she never presented the danger that Killgrave did. He could have taken over the world if he wasn't such a lazy, narcissistic child.

Last edited:
I absolutely hated where they both ended. I liked Trish. Past tense on purpose.

Are you talking about this moment?

ckIkSy7.jpg

The SuperSoldier combat drug is making Trish crazy as it pushes Patsy far at the background. This season topic seems to be the method they used to make mutants in the Marvel past. I am waiting them revealing that Kilgrave was involved in the supersoldier program as well. The inhalier Trish has been using so far looks advanced and rugged enough to pass for milspec stuff, but the US government doesn't seem to know anything about these black programs. It is almost as if there is a greater conspiracy in play to keep everything quiet. I don't know if that is intentional play from the producers POV or an order from the Marvel or if our world realities are filtering into the Marvel Universe.

Why there aren't any federal people investigating these events?

But about that moment, the traditional roles has been reversed as Trish is becoming more butch everytime she takes the drug. So you are right, she isn't a good friend, or even best mate, not talking about being the loyal sidekick JJ might possibly need. In fact, she's so determined to become something else ever since she was singing Patsy songs at the birthday party. And Malcolm is a blind man for being a former addicting and not seeing that Trish is flying high as a kite.

zGhIff5.jpg

Mum????? JJ had that same look Luke had, when Darth Vader revealed the truth. She could not handle the :poop: for the perp being her mum. This kind of explains why she has powers and others don't if you'll use Luke/Vader analogy, but it doesn't explain the super enhancement drugs, the experiments and gifts that the IGN black program gave to some people. Is dear old daddy responsible for LG's invulnerability?

That's where Malcolm started going off the deep end but Trish was already on a downward spiral. Both of JJ's loyal friends stripped from her by what I consider a series of uncharacteristic actions. Trish was a freaking bad guy on a no holds barred quest for power. Malcolm just flipped like a light switch.

I did like Hogarth's plotline. She's a beast.
The whole con thing took me by surprise. Up until the guy said "there were no healers" I was on board. The way she took her revenge I found perfect for her character.

aN73XFV.jpg

Like Mother, Like Daughter - ROFL :LOL::love::ROFLMAO::D:p(y)

K7r3U9j.jpg

Another superbly funny moment and very clever writing. I admit that it might take some time to understand that there are mutants running around, but for the Marvel Universe the powered people are somewhat new thing and it might take sometime for you to get out from your habits, when you deal with the mutant issue.

I find it extremely funny that the police tries their best to stay in the control and for the normal people, being at the backside of a police cruiser is an issue. But, Jones and the traffic problem are an unique situation and there is no way of saying: "stay calm" to a superhero, when they've set their minds to it.

The doors, the hinges, barricades, and locks aren't going to stop them. :LOL:

The second season of Jessica Jones builds upon the old one, while it shifts away from the Hand and most that happened in the past. There are no other superhero's as the story is mostly Jessica's own noir into the hell of what happened to her family. The real one, and not the fake that Trish's mum created after the freak accident that gave JJ her powers. It is far darker than most of other Netflix Marvel series, expect the Punisher. Even DD's first season doesn't go into the depth of murky waters Ms Jones is swamped into up to her ears, especially when it comes to female violence.

The Netflix didn't put stops on this one, even though they could have gone to multiple directions instead the comic book roots. I admit that I haven't read any of the Alias series, but I'll doubt they'd shown JJ's past being completely twisted by her mothers and her step sister, Trish. So, I'll agree with Anthoney that the ending with Trish being the perp who ended Jessica's happiness isn't idea, but at least it's a noir ending.

If you'll watch this expect a deep dive into places you might not want to visit. Expect them to twist and every once and while making you smile. I'll expect Netflix Marvel stories following the same path as the series move to new adventures. This level of darkness might even be the trend that continues until the next Defenders arrives at the small screen.

Can’t remember who asked the question, but the reason why Marvel Movie characters and Marvel Netflix characters won’t be crossing over is because the Marvel Netflix Showrunner and the Head of Disney utterly hate each other...

I think this season was more ridiculous than Iron Fist. Iron Fist was bingeable because it was leading somewhere, JJ S02 is not leading anywhere as far as I can tell, but it still has the same bingeable format as season 1. I hate the mother plotline. It's so pointless and Jessica doesn't even seem to care all that much who her mother was. Remember she thought she was dead???? I can only watch two episodes at once. IDT I am half way through yet and I started a month ago.

I love Jeri though.