The Thread of Abandoned Places

That's pretty spectacular Chopper, the picture almost looks as though it is off the wall.

This is the Christ of the Abyss, San Frutturo, Italy a submerged bronze statue of Jesus, placed in the water on 22 August 1954 at approximately 17 metres depth, and stands 2.5 metres tall. Various other casts of the statue are located in other places worldwide, both underwater and in churches and museums. Not strictly abandoned, but isolated, lonely and eerie.
dd.jpg

Venusian Broon - some really interesting ones there, thanks.

Bedlamite - as you say not strictly abandoned but a incredible, haunting thing.

It seems that things can get abandoned in the most surprising of places. This is Discovery Island at Disney!

This is quite a good one, Chateau Miranda in Belgium:

For anyone who might have noticed I'm working my way through the list of 38 Abandoned Places I posted near the start of the thread. I'ce had to skip a few that looked particular interesting because there were no videos available!

Eilean Donan (Scotland)

Technically not abandoned ion the sense that it looks quite well looked after inside, but what the hey, it was used in the original Highlander movie which makes it good enough for me :D

Something quite different today as I step away from the list.

This time it is something quite local to me, The Palace Theatre, Union Street, Plymouth

The whole thing was a gorgeous piece of Victoriana, the main theatre for the city. I remember going there to see pantomimes when I when I was small, but the opening of a more modern theatre marked the end. It found new life as a nightclub (went there too only on rock/alternative nights), but ultimately it closed down and fell into ruin.

Apparently it is on the list of English Heritages buildings in most need of restoration, and every couple of months there are stories of new projects but none ever materialise.

An abandoned Power Plant in Belgium. It looks very impressive but the video might be a little longer than it needs to be.

Maybe not the best quality, but one of the most impressive places:

The Underwater Lion City in China