Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson

Perpetual Man

Tim James
Supporter
Books that are written for all ages, is how Sanderson has described his Alcatraz novels, and you can see that as you read. The language is straight forward, not to taxing and easy to read, with various parts of the story toned down to make them suitable for the younger readers, while at the same time lots of funny moments for us older ones (one particular ongoing 'joke' is a main character exclaiming using the names of famous SF/F authors names.

The story itself is that of a young man, Alcatraz Smedry, a boy just turning 13, who has passed between foster families all his life. He seems to be very accident prone, causing all kinds of damage to others properties and possessions, just one of the reasons that he does not stay with one family very long.

Of course there is more to the story, he is in fact a member of the Smedry family, and on turning 13 he is whisked away by his grandfather, and shown a world of alternative science and wonder that he would never have dreamed existed.

Of course this kind of set up is something that is familiar to many books in this genre, but as has been pointed out it is the way they develop that makes them different. And it is very true in this case. One of the things that Sanderson is good at is coming up with unique takes on 'magic' and this book is no exception. Glass as a main focus for power - used as lenses by powerful people known as Occulators to do different things is wonderful, and well used throughout. As is the amusing detail of the Smedry family having unusual talents that may seem odd, but actually might come in handy. Grandpa Smedry always arrives late, while Quentin speaks gibberish. Alcatraz... well he breaks things.

He paints a world that is not exactly the one we know, or rather is, but one that has a lot going on hidden beneath the surface, be it the Librarians that control the world, or the hidden continents that are concealed from us. It is all good fun.

But the best bit is the way the book is written. A lot of fun is taken with the construction of a standard novel, and although technically this still has a beginning, middle and end, the way it is delivered is fun and not quite anything I have read before. Be it the denial that Sanderson wrote the thing, the asides at the start of each chapter, the outright lies that are told throughout or the great last page, it is a seriously entertaining read.

I've read all his books with the exception of these. I just didn't know if I could bring myself to read a middle grade book. The YA books he came out with are awesome though. How long are they?