Dune, book editions

SpanishMill

I need some help identifying the pub date of my "Book Club Edition". There is a gutter code "T16" and the only sources for gutter codes I have been able to find online are for mostly doubleday publising... which if I follow that table, T16 translates to April 1978. Is this correct???

Some pics of my BCE copy....

kU62H2b2ETFT4bXZnU59pQ.jpg

eLKzOL0.HHEHXzm8vBmfRg.jpg

FTjVxmAWfpocvyUAOLpBJQ.jpg

YRh9DJ6Z.UUAkVJh8nRWtA.jpg

I would think that it is. This may be where you found your information but it's what I get from the ISFDB page. The SFBC (Nelson Doubleday) is/was related to Doubleday and seems to have used the same codes.

Well that cover and the fact that it's Chilton makes it first edition (99% sure on that one). But it's the Book Club edition, so I think that's first edition, second run? Something like that? Pretty sure that was still 1965 or maybe 66.

No, unless it's an SFBC original, it will always have the original publisher's name on the spine so that doesn't indicate anything.

Last edited:
I would think that it is. This may be where you found your information but it's what I get from the ISFDB page. The SFBC (Nelson Doubleday) is/was related to Doubleday and seems to have used the same codes.
No, unless it's an SFBC original, it will always have the original publisher's name on the spine so that doesn't indicate anything.

Yes, that's the same site I used for the gutter codes... thanks.
I know that it's not a trade edition.. for one the first trade is a BLUE cloth book.

Good to know! Hardcovers confuse me with stuff like this. That's one reason why I collect paperbacks instead. :)

The dust jacket will 99% of the time indicate "Book Club Edition" which means it is NOT an actual first Trade edition. I only have a couple of BCE's in my collection... especially when the true firsts are very scarce and way out of my price range.

Good to know! Hardcovers confuse me with stuff like this. That's one reason why I collect paperbacks instead. :)

I prefer paperbacks myself - mass market, anyway - cheap, fit in the hand, and, when they're science fiction, they just feel like real science fiction.

The dust jacket will 99% of the time indicate "Book Club Edition" which means it is NOT an actual first Trade edition. I only have a couple of BCE's in my collection... especially when the true firsts are very scarce and way out of my price range.

Yep, and SFBC books are usually (not always) smaller, clean-cut, and have clear and clearly glued signatures - other hardcovers will generally glue in a fake thing to make them look sewn if they aren't really sewn and can have uneven edges and so on. (SFBC books seem to lose their dust jackets a lot so you don't always have that to go on. ;))

I've been a member off and on for mumblety years and they are good for putting together omnibuses or original collections and for producing affordable editions of small press books. Straight-up book-to-book they're usually inferior editions to the hardcover and more expensive than the mmpb so, while I have a few of those, most of mine are from the other groups. But I don't pay any attention to first edition hardcovers other than to think "neat" when I have one. :)

Incidentally, you probably know this and I don't know if it makes any difference because SFBC books never seem to have much value but they are often the actual first editions in the sense that they beat the trade publisher by a month or three and, of course, in the case of paperback originals they're often the first hardcover whether they beat the paperback to press or not. But they don't seem to be considered "real" books.

Incidentally, you probably know this and I don't know if it makes any difference because SFBC books never seem to have much value but they are often the actual first editions in the sense that they beat the trade publisher by a month or three and, of course, in the case of paperback originals they're often the first hardcover whether they beat the paperback to press or not. But they don't seem to be considered "real" books.

BCE editions are worthless in most cases but they still need to be discussed for the following reasons:
  1. Completists, those who want to own a copy of every edition, do purchase these to add to their collections.
  2. Many sellers do not know or understand the value of these books and sell them as if they were worth something.
How to identify a BCE
The following list are all indications (though not all definitive) of a BCE. If one or more of the non-definitive items appear further investigation is necessary.

• Smaller size non-definitive
  • Edited copyright page non-definitive
  • DJ matches pbk cover non-definitive
  • BC number definitive
  • BCE statement definitive
  • Poor binding (glued w/o cloth) non-definitive
  • No date non-definitive
  • No ISBN non-definitive
Exceptions
In very limited cases some BCEs can have limited to significant value.
If the BCE is the only hardcover edition.

and/or

Specialized book club editions, such as the "The Dean Koontz Book Club", when they are available only through subscription.

and/or

If the BCE includes additional material, such as a new introduction or afterword, only available in that edition.​
An additional note on BCEs and ISBNs: Some of the newer book club editions include the ISBN of the non-BCE edition that they were based on. The appearance of this ISBN does not make a BCE a non-BCE. One clue is the appearance of a mass-market paperback ISBN on a hardcover book. In that case, it's probable a BCE.

So, I have confirmed that this BCE copy of Dune is an April 1978 printing as indicated by the gutter code.

I ought to check the gutter code on my BCEs of Dune and Dune Messiah. Actual first editions were well out of my budget, so I bought fine copies of the BCEs instead. I have 1st edition, 4th impression of Children of Dune, and limited slipcased editions of God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune.

I ought to check the gutter code on my BCEs of Dune and Dune Messiah. Actual first editions were well out of my budget, so I bought fine copies of the BCEs instead. I have 1st edition, 4th impression of Children of Dune, and limited slipcased editions of God Emperor of Dune, Heretics of Dune and Chapterhouse Dune.

Only the first three books should be purchased as BCE's for the price minded collector (such as myself)... Dune, Children, Messiah...these can go for $100+.

All others can still be found for well under $10 as trade 1st editions.

My Heretics I paid $1.00 (1st edition / 2nd impression)
4zYCpVX8XVTYhtm0Ykz3Gg.jpg

God Emperor I paid $4.95
(1st edition / 1st printing)
8YJDRuLm6-uhKFxMnR0RuQ.jpg

Chapterhouse I paid $4.98 (1st edition / 1st printing)
cM91hI27Z3jO2wFYtm51KQ.jpg

The gutter code on my BCE of Dune is also T16. The code for Dune Messiah is K13, which is apparently March 1969.

I like what the film might have been :) Actually, I love the production design and I think it really captures the flavour of Herbert's universe. I'm not so keen on the liberties taken with the plot, like making the Weirding Way some bonkers sound-activated weapon.

I like what the film might have been :) Actually, I love the production design and I think it really captures the flavour of Herbert's universe. I'm not so keen on the liberties taken with the plot, like making the Weirding Way some bonkers sound-activated weapon.

Agreed. If they'd kept to the script a little more closely it might have been a classic.

Your Dune collection looks suspiciously like my own...