Brian Aldiss - short and long fiction

I just read Helliconia Summer. It's Aldiss, so its quite dense and thought-provoking, but it was a slog and it's not my favourite of his. In fact, I'd say its my least favourite I've read of his. It's really quite flawed.

While the story is reasonably engaging looking back on it (and I suspect it will be memorable), its very slow and told mainly in a jump back in time, so that there is next to no anticipation of what's going to happen - we know from the start what's coming, and it takes a meandering and dense 500 pages to get there. There isn't really a main character or anyone to cheer for and there is not much of a plot, to be honest; certainly its got no pace. Its a scifi Finnegan's Wake, I suspect - probably brilliant but is it worth it?

I have another gripe about it - there is a lot made in many reviews of the wonderful, rich world-building and how Helliconia is really the main character. Unfortunately, the science behind Helliconia is nonsense and full of scientific errors. Many aspects of the great year changes and 'science' of the planet are scientifically-flawed and grated with me. I've listed some of the scientific flaws below, but put them in spoilers in case you are going to give the book a go.

- The length of days and nights would not be affected by the great year cycle despite claims in the book, only by short year cycles. In the book, the polar regions get no sun in the great year winter apparently. Why? And even of this were so (which makes no sense at all), to be consistent in summer they would get sun 100% of the time, but they don't
- Freyr would not affect the tides: a silly error
- The biology of the planet is largely unrealistic, including the helico virus, which is described as a survival device. Biologically this virus is nonsense for more reasons than I will go into here. And why didn't Billy just get a vaccination as Avernus technology could surely sort that out.
- Don't get me started on the deus-ex-machina flying fish
- The phagor would lose their coats in summer, its a simple and obvious modification
- The extreme tilt of Helliconia relative to its plane of rotation around Batalix (implied by the location of the arctic circles at only 55 degrees N and S) would mean very extreme short year seasons which are never mentioned, and which would exceed the effect of the great year changes
- Ice would melt very quickly in the Helliconia summer, but one character makes their living delivering it many thousands of miles over the course of many weeks without refrigeration in temperatures up to 150 degrees F and it all seems fine
- Glacial ice is typically very dirty and usually brown, but everyone just pops in their drinks
- The volcanic explosion is explained as being a way by which the planet's albedo increases in great summers, and therefore helps cool it down. This is nonsense, as the mildly increased heat of the larger star on the surface of the planet would not increase the chances of volcanic activity which is of course driven by much higher magma temperatures, and even if we accept it did, it would not have the affect described, unless volcanic activity was of a magnitude to be an extinction event
- Polar melt would probably cover the planet each summer leaving next to no land, and affect the coastline so much that there would be no historical record of coastline towns, unlike in the book in which the geography don't seem to change across great years

I just read Helliconia Summer. It's Aldiss, so its quite dense and thought-provoking, but it was a slog and it's not my favourite of his. In fact, I'd say its my least favourite I've read of his. It's really quite flawed.

While the story is reasonably engaging looking back on it (and I suspect it will be memorable), its very slow and told mainly in a jump back in time, so that there is next to no anticipation of what's going to happen - we know from the start what's coming, and it takes a meandering and dense 500 pages to get there. There isn't really a main character or anyone to cheer for and there is not much of a plot, to be honest; certainly its got no pace. Its a scifi Finnegan's Wake, I suspect - probably brilliant but is it worth it?

I have another gripe about it - there is a lot made in many reviews of the wonderful, rich world-building and how Helliconia is really the main character. Unfortunately, the science behind Helliconia is nonsense and full of scientific errors. Many aspects of the great year changes and 'science' of the planet are scientifically-flawed and grated with me. I've listed some of the scientific flaws below, but put them in spoilers in case you are going to give the book a go.

- The length of days and nights would not be affected by the great year cycle despite claims in the book, only by short year cycles. In the book, the polar regions get no sun in the great year winter apparently. Why? And even of this were so (which makes no sense at all), to be consistent in summer they would get sun 100% of the time, but they don't
- Freyr would not affect the tides: a silly error
- The biology of the planet is largely unrealistic, including the helico virus, which is described as a survival device. Biologically this virus is nonsense for more reasons than I will go into here. And why didn't Billy just get a vaccination as Avernus technology could surely sort that out.
- Don't get me started on the deus-ex-machina flying fish
- The phagor would lose their coats in summer, its a simple and obvious modification
- The extreme tilt of Helliconia relative to its plane of rotation around Batalix (implied by the location of the arctic circles at only 55 degrees N and S) would mean very extreme short year seasons which are never mentioned, and which would exceed the effect of the great year changes
- Ice would melt very quickly in the Helliconia summer, but one character makes their living delivering it many thousands of miles over the course of many weeks without refrigeration in temperatures up to 150 degrees F and it all seems fine
- Glacial ice is typically very dirty and usually brown, but everyone just pops in their drinks
- The volcanic explosion is explained as being a way by which the planet's albedo increases in great summers, and therefore helps cool it down. This is nonsense, as the mildly increased heat of the larger star on the surface of the planet would not increase the chances of volcanic activity which is of course driven by much higher magma temperatures, and even if we accept it did, it would not have the affect described, unless volcanic activity was of a magnitude to be an extinction event
- Polar melt would probably cover the planet each summer leaving next to no land, and affect the coastline so much that there would be no historical record of coastline towns, unlike in the book in which the geography don't seem to change across great years
I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure none of these things (under "Spoilers") would bother me.

I haven't read it, but I'm pretty sure none of these things (under "Spoilers") would bother me.
Perhaps not, and I don’t think ordinarily it would bother me, but Aldiss goes into such inordinate detail to explain the science and nature of the planet and it’s great year changes throughout so much of the book, that getting the science so wrong seems less forgivable than otherwise. If it was mentioned in passing and the plot was terrific it would be different for me too.

The whole trilogy is a work of extravagant brilliance.
The only novels close to it are TBOTNS and Dune.

Not for me - I really like Aldiss and Helliconia certainly has its merits, but it’s too flawed to be considered that highly.

I started the first book of Helliconia but didn''t get far . I may give it a second try

Have ether one of you ever read his book The Malacia Tapestry ? Terrific read. :cool:

Ive read two other books by him Dracula Unbound and Non Stop and enjoyed them both.:cool:

Have ether one of you ever read his book The Malacia Tapestry ? Terrific read. :cool:

Ive read two other books by him Dracula Unbound and Non Stop and enjoyed them both.:cool:
Yes, The Malacia Tapestry is a lot of fun. Rather arcane and idiosyncratic, but fun. Non Stop I enjoyed too, also Hothouse, which some compared with Memory Seed. Helliconia though will forever be his masterpiece.

Yes, The Malacia Tapestry is a lot of fun. Rather arcane and idiosyncratic, but fun. Non Stop I enjoyed too, also Hothouse, which some compared with Memory Seed. Helliconia though will forever be his masterpiece.

I also have his books Cryptozoic and Hothouse kicking around in my collection. :unsure:

I absolutely adore The Malacia Tapestry. My other favorite of his is Barefoot in the Head. Also the Moment of Eclipse story collection.

I have this theory that, appearing almost precisely halfway between M. John Harrison's The Pastel City and A Storm of Wings (the first two volumes of the Viriconium trilogy), The Malacia Tapestry influenced the more arcane style of the latter. Though, grump that he is, Harrison probably would never admit it.

I’ve not read Malacia Tapestry but I’ll look out for it. Non-Stop, Hothouse and Greybeard are all excellent (and all finer works than Helliconia in my opinion).

The Malacia Tapestry is much weirder than all of them. Totally different level. It's like a strange, cryptic text.

Hmmm. Interesting comments, Bick. I read all three books this past winter, and yeah, there are some scientific inconsistencies. But I agree with tegeus-Cromis ... they didn't really bother me.

I guess for me, as long as the novel is internally consistent within the setting that the author has created, I'm ok if there are some discrepancies with the physical laws of nature. I mean, I read space opera with "handwavium" and "unobtainium" all the time, and I'm ok with it. I read more for the characters and the stories anyway.

Funny, years ago I used to be a solid hard-sf fan and stuff that you mentioned would bug me when I noticed it; now I'm more interested in character-driven stories.

And trying to create from scratch a world for any SF novel must be a real challenge. I recall waaay back in school studying geography ... how the winds and the ocean currents interact with continental features to create the various climatic zones. We were split up into teams and our final project was to create the climate for a new world (each team had a different world), and explain the why and the how. Huh. It was one of the more interesting assignments I had in school. I wonder now if our teacher was a SF fan?

I guess for me, as long as the novel is internally consistent within the setting that the author has created, I'm ok if there are some discrepancies with the physical laws of nature. I mean, I read space opera with "handwavium" and "unobtainium" all the time, and I'm ok with it. I read more for the characters and the stories anyway.
Interesting comments DeltaV, cheers. I also enjoy lots of SF that actually contradicts scientific understanding in some areas. So yes, there's a lot of handwaving in SF, but usually that's minimised and done to allow us to accept some feature that is necessary (such as crossing interstellar space) but the 'science' here is actually incidental to plot (such as the war, intrigue or romance the book's about), not the centre of it. We accept hyperspace as it's just there to enable the story to occur, but the hyperspace is not the reason for the story. In Helliconia it seems like the double-star world and its seasons are the main focus of the book and underlie the whole point of it. So when its riddled with scientific nonsense, when it could have easily been told in a way that made scientific sense, it bugged me. There's actually no reason Aldiss' 'long season' idea couldn't occur and be described without the errors that riddle the book - it doesn't actually need the handwaving you mention. It just seems lazy of Aldiss not to bother checking if so much of what he was designing made any sense.

Hothouse is much 'sillier', of course, from a scientific perspective, but its tone is quite different and here Aldiss does not try to scientifically justify his creation, unlike in Helliconia which he presents to us as a hard SF idea. Hothouse reads more like a strange fantasy, and its excellent - a much more successful piece of work I think.