Perpetual Man
- Lovely!
EricWard - Made me giggle like a girl
Culhwch - A ripe piece of folkloric nastiness
Mosaix - I always preferred the wolf.

And my vote goes to - Perpetual Man.

The Short List

Phyrebrat - When the trees are sobbing faintly
Ursa Major - Love on a Knife Edge: Azor Reborn?
Karn - The Tallest Tower ***
Hex - Shoe-erly Not
Paranoid Marvin - Good Night, Sweet Prince
High Eight - HER SIDE OF THE STORY
C.A. Mitchell - Smashing Pumpkins
Perpetual Man - Fairy Farewell

This really came down to the bolded titles. I was very much intrigued by these, and found myself going back to read them over again.

Very well done Karn, you have my vote.

First a very heartfelt thank you for all the mentions. I was sure I wouldn't have time to enter this month, then something hit me (why inspiration keeps lurking in the kitchen I have yet to discover, perhaps I dont feed it enough, I dont know) I'll get the secret to those dwarven cookies yet though. I know the elfs are jealous...

shortlist: (seriously want to get back into the habit of reviewing all the stories, but here are my thoughts on these anyway)

Abernovo- loved the way you took devotion, and showed its unrequited side!
StillLearning- i may never stop laughing.
David, Evil Overlord- the first time I read it I thought she ate him, but the second time I realized she didnt. I could almost prefer it the way I misunderstood it (perhaps having been scorned before, long ago.) but I absolutely adore the hope I felt when she saw her own kind soaring overhead, and remembered how it ended for the swan. :D thanks for that. (makes getting over that duckfooted imbecile easier.)

Unforgettable

Paranoid Marvin-
my unrequited love of language leaves me bereft of expression.
Starbeast- OMG!!! *gibbers, in shock, something that tries to sound complementary*
Perpetualman- this!

Voted I have.

I've just noticed, and thank you for it.:)

And thankyous to Hopewrites and Phoenix for the short listings.

This forum is the only place I post poetry, and tbh it is only the Challenge and the members of Chrons that motivated me into doing so.

How do I find words sufficient enough to express the gratitude I feel towards others on this forum for helping me to find something in myself that I never knew was there?

Last edited:
PM thank you for the feedback. There is still room for improvment but I am getting better.

I've spent most of the day reorganizing the Living Room. It now looks more of a mess than it ever did, and a side effect of all this is the disconnection of my PC, possibly for a long time.

So as I adjust to computer life re-orientating to my tablet for the time being, imagine my weary delight to coming on to Chons at the end of the day, and discovering that not only have I had a beautifully epic mention from Phoenix, but I've obtained three more votes too.

Thank you so much to Hope, High Eight and the stealth votes from DEO & Devils Advocate, woke me up a bit and made me smile!

Thanks for the mention, phoenixthewriter. :)

(And thanks for your review, Perp. :))

Starbeast - you always make me laugh with your entries!

Thanks Paranoid Marvin. Your poems are always great to read too.

Starbeast: I laughed at this one.

Your welcome Springs. It's rewarding to me to brighten someones day.

Starbeast - how do you manage to be so funny every single month? I always enjoy your entries.

Thanks again dude. I don't want to write a sad story, especially when I'm struggling with problems surrounding me. I like to keep positive and make others happy when I can. It keeps me from being gloomy.

Starbeast- OMG!!! *gibbers, in shock, something that tries to sound complementary*

Thank you Hopewrites for placing me into your "Unforgettable" List, I try do my best at creating something different, and this time shocking dark humor.

Short List
_________________________________________________________​

Paranoid Marvin - Great poem.
Luiglin - I like the unexpected ending.
Ratsy - A realistic telling of a classic tale, well done.
Karn Maeshalanadae - Another good unexpected ending.
David Evil Overlord - Nice twist on the original tale.
Grimbear - Beauty having seconds thoughts, that's great.
Johnnyjet - Yet another good unexpected ending.
Chrispenycate - Another great poem.
Flugel Meister - And yet, another unexpected ending.
Mosaix - Good twist on a classic tale.
Glen - Very good drama.
HareBrain - Yet another great poem.
TacticalLoco - Whoa, another good unexpected ending.
Perpetual Man - Very intense and emotional.
Phyrebrat - Very original, nice work.
Spellblade - Nice to meet you, and very good story.
Boneman - Another great plant tale.
Kiffinyjean - Very imaginative.​

I have not chosen a story to vote for yet. I'm having difficulty deciding who to choose.

Sunday, I will cast my vote.

Still reading through and deciding, but in the meantime I am very remiss in not thenking Perp for hisa usual excellent Precis (at least I think it's a precis - there could be more than 75 words...:eek:) which always hits the nail squarely on the head. Great work as usual Perp!:D

Such a crazy busy month, I didn't even register that we were at voting stage again! Eek! :-S

Thank you (many thank yous!) to Glen, EricWard, and Bowler for the mentions - I was so unsure about my entry this month, so it's great that you guys liked it :) Now to go and read everyone else's...

Wow, it's been a long time since I had a shortlist this long! I went back to see what I could prune out of it, but I couldn't bear to part with a single one, so here it is:

StilLearning -- Everyone has Feelings
r j dando -- A Queen's Reflections
stormcrow -- The Woodcutter's Arms
reiver33 -- Behind My Eyes I Grieve
Kylara -- Death of a Dragon
paranoid marvin -- Good Night, Sweet Prince
Hex -- Shoe-erly Not
MemoryTale -- Fairytale vs Reality
Flugel Meister -- Size Does Matter
mosaix -- Spare a Thought...
*Harebrain -- The Maiden of the Midden*
hopewrites -- Death by Chocolate
TacticalLoco -- First Kiss...
Devil's Advocate -- Rampion
Perpetual Man -- Fairy Farewell
Phyrebrat -- When the trees are sobbing faintly.
Teresa Edgerton -- Briar Rose
Spellblade -- The Neon Princess
Boneman -- Forget Me Not
Aun Doorback -- Oh! That Monstrous Thing
The Judge -- Straw Shows How the Wind Blows
Tisiphone -- Love Triangle: The Wrong Sister

You'd think, wouldn't you, that stating the marking when the first posts came in, keeping the spreadsheet up to date, it'd be obvious and fast when the voting came around.

But I've always reread all the submissions before finally deciding; and they're clustering so near the top… (like Azzagorn, eliminated by a grammar error and a couple of homophones).

So, still sitting in the (short) list:-
Abernovo, frog transformer,
Bowler1, for courting mermaids
C. A. Michell, midnight pumpkins,
HareBrain, with his disillusion
Paranoid Marvin in verse
Perpetual Man, pathos pities
Springs with faithless feline menu
Dusty Zebra, mirror, mirror, flawed and floored
The Judge spinning, gold from threshing

All deserving, soon deciding. Not to mention finding reasons, probably spurious, to eliminate others, which should have been on this list. I will manage to vote, promise.

Starbeast, thanks for the mention, Kylara, more thanks for the photo finish with Perp, and obviously, great big HUG to Springs for that dangerous vote.

phew! another day of re-arranging.

I've got a shortlist somewhere, but tin deep Under all the rubble. With any luck I should be able to vote, or at least start thinking about it tomorrow.

Plenty of thanks though. To TDz, Chris and Starbeast for the shortlistings, a cheshire cat grin of gratitude to rj dando for the vote, and a 'You're welcome!' to all the thanks regarding my comments.

Thanks crispy and bowler for the mention. Odd thing I wrote this and then my cat of ten years vanished. He has appeared very briefly since but it appears he can read no has gone found himself somewhere with better food...

My short list:

Springs – a nice twist on a familiar magic spell.
r j dando – there are at least two ways to steal a girl’s heart.
Kylara – once upon a time, there were no laws against killing endangered species.
Hex – a 3D jigsaw puzzle for princes, eighteen to twenty-three years (to complete), glue not included.
Grimbear – and they lived flatulently ever after.
TheDustyZebra – magic mirrors who live in glass bodies shouldn’t throw stones.
Starbeast – smuttier than your average fairy tale.
mosaix – if only he'd just wolf-whistled at her.
Hopewrites – she died in the arms of her One True Love.
Teresa Edgerton – her One True Love died in her (hundred-year) sleep.
Spellblade – a man in love can see a princess in any woman.
Parson – the love of the Lady of the Lake.
Ursa Major – Beauty and the Beast and the Plastic Surgeon.

And my vote goes to...Perp, for a haunting tale of what the sidhe and the humans have lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back