A Gathering in London of Small Presses and Authors

Ian Whates

Author and Editor
Forbidden Planet In London are hosting a 'Small Press Expo' on Saturday June 30th, featuring NewCon Press, Pandemonium, Snow Books, and Myrmidon. The event will also mark the launch of NewCon Press' latest anthology; a book featuring all original ghost stories entitled Hauntings.
http://www.sffchronicles.co.uk/forum/536307-hauntings-ghost-stories-to-chill-the-spine.html

I put a call out to the authors of recent titles and have been staggered by the response. So, representing NewCon Press at the Expo will be:

Nina Allan
Christopher Priest
Adrian Tchaikovsky
Pat Cadigan
Sophia McDougall
Lavie Tidhar
Robert Shearman
Rod Rees
Philip Palmer
Gareth L Powell
Kim Lakin-Smith
Una McCormack
Paul Kane
Marie O'Regan
Andy West
Mark West
Rebecca J Payne
Theresa Derwin
Ian Whates
cover artist Ben Baldwin,
and Adele Wearing from Un:bound.

It should be fun! :)

Full details can be found: http://forbiddenplanet.com/events/2012/06/30/small-press-expo/

But my in-depth questions, my searching and tantalising enquiries that are designed to illuminate and educate... how will I be able to ask all my favourite authors? Oh well, fall back on the old dependable: "can I buy you a drink?":)

A wonderfully steam-punkish poster to promote the event:

403542_10151028084179739_1723969826_n.jpg

Sounds like a great event, Ian - but blimey, that's a lot of authors! Where will you fit them all - it'll be standing room only downstairs in Forbidden Planet, I'd have thought...!

I'll certainly try to make it on the day. :)

Sounds like a great event, Ian - but blimey, that's a lot of authors! Where will you fit them all - it'll be standing room only downstairs in Forbidden Planet, I'd have thought...!

I'll certainly try to make it on the day. :)

Hope to see you there, Patrick! As for fitting everyone in, that's FP's problem. They said 'bring a few authors along' and I did my best to oblige... :rolleyes:

Just a quick reminder that the Expo takes place this Saturday, the 30th. Anyone who wants to get books signed, hurl insults at authors, deride our work, or simply to say 'hello', please feel free to pop along: Forbidden Planet, London, 1.00 to 2.30 pm.

Can the next one be in Birmingham, or similar?

Sadly, Stephen, since the whole thing is the bright idea of Danie Ware, the events organiser at FP's London Megastore, I doubt it... Though there's nothing to stop somebody in Birmingham or anywhere else organising something similar!