The Winds of Winter publishing date guesses?

We shouldn't be too hard on GRRM - I mean, it took JRRT 17 years to write The Lord of the Rings and get it published.
And where's his incentive? If he doesn't change what happened in the final series of the TV, people would accuse him of just taking the easy way out, and if he does change it, that opens a completely new can of worms. I doubt whether HBO would be impressed, either. Lose/lose...

We shouldn't be too hard on GRRM - I mean, it took JRRT 17 years to write The Lord of the Rings and get it published.
And where's his incentive? If he doesn't change what happened in the final series of the TV, people would accuse him of just taking the easy way out, and if he does change it, that opens a completely new can of worms. I doubt whether HBO would be impressed, either. Lose/lose...

I don't think it matters how long it takes to write, but how long it takes to publish. 'Fellowship' was on sale in 1954, 'Return of the King' in 1955.

Now if Tolkien had decided to publish the first instalment in 1954, then withheld the ending for 20 or more years, people would have had something to say. And if, in that intervening period, he had decided to publish lots of other Middle-earth inspired books - and not the one that everyone was so desparate to read - words may have been exchanged.

Quinn the GM gives forty percent chance of Winds on December 17.

Quinn the GM

It is not mentioned in this video, but I was wondering if Martin may be writing two books at once. This whole process is painful for him, I imagine. Could he be finishing both books, the winds of winter, and a dream of spring at the same time?

Also in GRRM’s last blog post, he says a Nymeria show could be in the works.

It is not mentioned in this video, but I was wondering if Martin may be writing two books at once. This whole process is painful for him, I imagine. Could he be finishing both books, the winds of winter, and a dream of spring at the same time?
Isn't that what they said about Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons? And then there was a six-year gap between them.

Incoming announcement that he was in fact writing both books at the same time, and then realised that they both were actually two books each, meaning he needs to write four books, but because of that a lot of the content of the tWoW need to be revised and rewritten to fit the new content in the final three books - but don't worry, because so much of those are written he is confident they'll all be published back-to-back. Eventually.