George mentions twist in Winds of Winter....

If Martin is still gleefully putting big twists into the narrative at this point, there's little chance he'll ever finish. He should be straightening and narrowing plotlines in the leadup to the story climax. The last thing this series needs at this stage is the re-introduction of old characters.

The big twist in Winds of Winter is when the comet strikes the world, setting off a series of natural disasters that kill half the cast. That's the only way to finish everyone's story within two more books. :D

Just wondering as I haven't seen the show, but was Syrio Forel explicitly shown as dead? I've just been re-reading Clash of Kings, and was wondering if the dancing master was another face of Ja'quin h'Gor (or however you spell it). Both have distinctive ways of talking and Ja'quin does use Syrio's "Just so" catchphrase at least once.

That's interesting, and definitely a maybe to cite Mr Gallagher, as the plot strand that began with the prologue in Feast for Crows and was then touched upon briefly in that chapter when Samwell arrives at the citadel really needs to be fleshed out.

Lets see, Characters that are dead on the show, yet still live in the books. I can think of a few:

Mago
Rakharo
Pyat Pree
Irri
Grenn
Pip
Catelyn Stark-LSH is never going to happen, I've come to accept it :(
BFS
Selyse
Mance
Hizdahr
Shireen
Myrcella-Confirmed in teaser trailers

And some which are questionable:

Jojen- Might be alive in the books, might be Jojen paste
Stannis-We never actually see him die...
The Hound- May be dead in both, May be alive in both.
Xaro Xhoan Daxos-Maybe he got out of the vault >.>
Aggo-I don't recall what happened to him in the series...
Kovarro-No screen time since season 2? May be an unmentioned off screen death. Or cut from the show as for being too minor a character.

Benjen Stark-Biggest mystery off all in both book and show. Dead? Deserted? Prisoner? Top Secret recon mission? Will we every truly know what happened to Benjen?

I may have missed a few but that's a decent list of characters that GRRM may have been alluding to.

BFS has had quite a big role in the story. I think he could still have a part to play in Winds of Winter, which could easily be a twist against Daenerys. Mance is another one who could still be significant.

I think it might be something to do with Jojen Reed.

He's gettin' eated by a Stark.

GIR Martin.jpg

I apologise for the dumb necro.

Last edited: