Black Mirror

Fantastic stuff. I've gone through and explored a few different variations, seen a few different endings. Clearly I've not seen them all yet!

Very original.

I've not watched it yet , so possible spoiler?

It's a bit of background info as to where the title of his tv show came from (and it's nothing to do with Wonderland!)

Back in the early days of computer gaming, there was a company called Imagine Software, who had done rather well out of the burgeoning computer game industry. Whilst at that time (in the UK at least) there were many 'bedroom coders' (teenage whizkids programming games from their parent's homes and selling them to games publishers or even directly to the public themselves), those working for Imagine were living pop star lifestyles with flash cars.

Imagine then announced two 'megagames' for the Spectrum and Commodore 64: Psyclapse and Bandersnatch. These were advertised in gaming magazines as being games that would blow people's minds when they were released. But they were never released; they were never even made. And then Imagine went bust (there is a YouTube video showing a programme called 'Commercial Breaks' being made about Imagine when the receivers actually arrived during filming).

This did not stop rumours about copies of the completed mega games being available to play, nor discussions about just how complete they were at the time Imagine closed down, and the question about just how 'mega' they would have been anyway. As Charlie Brooker is a child from that golden gaming age, I would imagine that the 'Bandersnatch' is more likely to be Imagine's than Lewis Carroll's creature, and the fact that it's a pretty cool name for a tv show is an added bonus.

Last edited:
That was interesting. I'm excited to see this type of thing. There's a lot of room for this type of entertainment but I certainly would not want to watch something like this if I was going to bed. I'd never get to sleep.

People have found another different ending if you pick up the family photo a second time. On Twitter, others were complaining that they would have no choice, but be forced to watch it all over again. Netfilx replied that they aren't controlling anyone :)

Brilliant! I love all the meta meaning that emerges from it, and it really is quite cleverly put together.

Season 5 is on Netflix. Only 3 episodes at the moment. Not sure if more are coming.

I've only watched Striking Tigers.
I found it a little slow in parts and the central idea within the VR body-hopping isn't new. (The book Altered Carbon dealt with that well. The TV series of the book didn't really do it justice.) This episode takes the idea off on a 'are we really two gay men, or is it just within the game?' course, but then it failed to really answer the question. The solution at the end didn't really seem like one to me. It seemed like he was staying in the closet but still playing the game, for the sake of his marriage, while his wife was now happy to be free to date younger, fitter men? Maybe I didn't understand it?

This wasn't of the same standard as earlier seasons, so hope the next episodes improve.

So, now I've watched Smithereens too.

Concerning the addiction to smart phone social media apps. A man who feels responsible for the death of his girlfriend kidnaps in order to speak to the reclusive boss of a social media platform.

I'm sorry, but I feel these episodes are just not up to the grade. I don't rate this one at all. It was also a commentary on where we are today, rather than giving any startlingly insights into where we will be tomorrow (which I think some earlier seasons did.) The American executives and FBI agent may have been meant to be funny (I couldn't tell, because they weren't.)

So, only me watching these? I've seen Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too now. I would never have expected that an episode about a pop star with colourful hair played by Miley Cyrus would be the best of the three, but it was. Apparently there has been some suggestion that the character of Ashley O mimicked the life of someone called Halsey (no, me neither.) To discuss that, I'll have to go spoiler mode, but I have to say, it would be highly unlikely!

Netflix executives have reportedly binned Halsey‘s suggestion that Ashley O, a character portrayed by Miley Cyrus in a new episode of Black Mirror, "reflects many, many, aspects of her life." Would those be the creation of weirdly artificially intelligent dolls in her likeness? Or is it that she's also allergic to fish tacos? Does she have a bouncer called Bear too? Or is that that she was also kept in a coma by her manager, and had songs drawn from her brain while she slept, and was kept subdued by unlicensed drugs? Maybe it's the part where she wakes up and records cover versions of Nine Inch Nails instead of sugary pop?

I've seen Striking Vipers and I thought it was poor. If Charlie Brooker is running out of ideas then he could go back to doing Screenwipe, which I miss...

I'm sorry, but I was unimpressed by this series.
Although including a few duds, the previous seasons have all had some great new ideas, and have made valid comments about where possible new technology is taking us.
These three did none of the above.
The best episode was the second one, Smithereens, which required nothing newer than an Uber lookalike but had, at least, a decent story.
The other 2 tried to invent new technology, but did little other than reinvent stuff that had already shown up in previous series and then wrap a dull story around it.

I stopped watch this after the first season. Way too many duds to hold my interest.

Episode 1 was poor. I felt there was so much more that could have done with the notion of Total Immersion Video Gaming.

Episode 2 was excellent but not really Black Mirror.

Episode 3 was ok, decent story but weak on the science fiction. It felt like it was just a vehicle for Achy Breaky Heart's daughter.

Personally I reckon Charlie Brooker phoned in the first one, bought Smithereen from another writer and then started having a go at number 3 but got bored.

Season 6 is available already.

I watched "Mazey Day" first because that's the shortest one (yeah, that's how I've been doin' things lately).

Basically, it’s about paparazzi, and how their work ruins famous people’s lives. The protagonist, after a photo of a reclusive famous actress, goes to a rehab center, but what she finds there is something… that you’re not expecting. At all.

It’s a good episode. Kept me hooked; and the plot twist, although without any setting and, was jaw-dropping. But it just didn’t feel like a Black Mirror episode.

And that reflects the series as a whole: Black Mirror doesn’t feel like Black Mirror, not for a long time now.

Last edited:
Season 6 is available already.

I watched "Mazey Day" first because that's the shortest one (yeah, that's how I've been doin' things lately).

Basically, it’s about paparazzi, and how their work ruins famous people’s lives. The protagonist, after a photo of a reclusive famous actress, goes to a rehab center, but what she finds there is something… that you’re not expecting. At all.

It’s a good episode. Kept me hooked; and the plot twist, although without any setting and, was jaw-dropping. But it just didn’t feel like a Black Mirror episode.

And that reflects the series as a whole: Black Mirror doesn’t feel like Black Mirror, not for a long time now.

Have you tried Inside No.9? Some episodes of that are very good, and it's similar in many ways to Black Mirror.

Demon 79. After awakening a demon, an Indian immigrant has to kill three innocent people to prevent the apocalypse. This one’s campy, almost exploitation. You have to accept the fact that it’s campy or you won’t be able to stand ten minutes of it.

Loch Henry. A guy returns to the Scottish (I’m guessing it’s Scottish) countryside with his girlfriend to film the final project of his film school, and the place has just the right story for it. Murder story with predictable plot twist. It skirts around the sense of guilt of doing art based on something that marked you. That’s all there is to it.

Just watched Joan is Awful. I enjoyed it. Afterwards we looked through the episodes and went back over them, there were only 3 or 4 that I couldn't remember the full plot. I have really enjoyed black mirror through the years and so many really good episodes. People like to complain that it hasn't been as good since it went to netflix (I mean streamberry) but I still think there are crackers on those later seasons.
I'm looking forward to the rest of season 6.

I still think there are crackers on those later seasons.
I feel the same. Every season has had episodes that I love and have since rewatched.
I was really excited for this season, and I have now watched all 5 episodes. For me, this is the first season that didn't have a great episode. There were a couple of good episodes, my favourites were Loch Henry, and Beyond the Sea. But neither would make it into my top ten black mirror episodes. (Although they would both be top 15 (out of 27)).

Black Mirror doesn’t feel like Black Mirror
This is very true for this season. Not only did they mostly lack the futuristic, tech focused vibe. But I'm used to the episodes being very clear with their intent and their themes. Overall season 6 felt a bit average and bland. I don't think it was a Game of Thrones final season disaster. But it certainly wasn't a return to the shows previous heights.