• Published a book you want to tell us about? Uploaded a YouTube video you want to share?

Normally you'll need 100 posts to self-promote, but with an upgraded membership you can do so with your first post.

Find out more here: Become a Supporting Member

Black Mirror

Fried Egg

Fantastic stuff. I've gone through and explored a few different variations, seen a few different endings. Clearly I've not seen them all yet!

Very original.

paranoid marvin

Run VT Erroll!
I've not watched it yet , so possible spoiler?

It's a bit of background info as to where the title of his tv show came from (and it's nothing to do with Wonderland!)

Back in the early days of computer gaming, there was a company called Imagine Software, who had done rather well out of the burgeoning computer game industry. Whilst at that time (in the UK at least) there were many 'bedroom coders' (teenage whizkids programming games from their parent's homes and selling them to games publishers or even directly to the public themselves), those working for Imagine were living pop star lifestyles with flash cars.

Imagine then announced two 'megagames' for the Spectrum and Commodore 64: Psyclapse and Bandersnatch. These were advertised in gaming magazines as being games that would blow people's minds when they were released. But they were never released; they were never even made. And then Imagine went bust (there is a YouTube video showing a programme called 'Commercial Breaks' being made about Imagine when the receivers actually arrived during filming).

This did not stop rumours about copies of the completed mega games being available to play, nor discussions about just how complete they were at the time Imagine closed down, and the question about just how 'mega' they would have been anyway. As Charlie Brooker is a child from that golden gaming age, I would imagine that the 'Bandersnatch' is more likely to be Imagine's than Lewis Carroll's creature, and the fact that it's a pretty cool name for a tv show is an added bonus.

Last edited:

Anthoney

Bearded Member
That was interesting. I'm excited to see this type of thing. There's a lot of room for this type of entertainment but I certainly would not want to watch something like this if I was going to bed. I'd never get to sleep.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
People have found another different ending if you pick up the family photo a second time. On Twitter, others were complaining that they would have no choice, but be forced to watch it all over again. Netfilx replied that they aren't controlling anyone :)

Lumens

Writer of wrongs
Supporter
Brilliant! I love all the meta meaning that emerges from it, and it really is quite cleverly put together.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
Season 5 is on Netflix. Only 3 episodes at the moment. Not sure if more are coming.

I've only watched Striking Tigers.
I found it a little slow in parts and the central idea within the VR body-hopping isn't new. (The book Altered Carbon dealt with that well. The TV series of the book didn't really do it justice.) This episode takes the idea off on a 'are we really two gay men, or is it just within the game?' course, but then it failed to really answer the question. The solution at the end didn't really seem like one to me. It seemed like he was staying in the closet but still playing the game, for the sake of his marriage, while his wife was now happy to be free to date younger, fitter men? Maybe I didn't understand it?

This wasn't of the same standard as earlier seasons, so hope the next episodes improve.

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
So, now I've watched Smithereens too.

Concerning the addiction to smart phone social media apps. A man who feels responsible for the death of his girlfriend kidnaps in order to speak to the reclusive boss of a social media platform.

I'm sorry, but I feel these episodes are just not up to the grade. I don't rate this one at all. It was also a commentary on where we are today, rather than giving any startlingly insights into where we will be tomorrow (which I think some earlier seasons did.) The American executives and FBI agent may have been meant to be funny (I couldn't tell, because they weren't.)

Dave

Custom title not found
Staff member
Supporter
So, only me watching these? I've seen Rachel, Jack and Ashley Too now. I would never have expected that an episode about a pop star with colourful hair played by Miley Cyrus would be the best of the three, but it was. Apparently there has been some suggestion that the character of Ashley O mimicked the life of someone called Halsey (no, me neither.) To discuss that, I'll have to go spoiler mode, but I have to say, it would be highly unlikely!

Netflix executives have reportedly binned Halsey‘s suggestion that Ashley O, a character portrayed by Miley Cyrus in a new episode of Black Mirror, "reflects many, many, aspects of her life." Would those be the creation of weirdly artificially intelligent dolls in her likeness? Or is it that she's also allergic to fish tacos? Does she have a bouncer called Bear too? Or is that that she was also kept in a coma by her manager, and had songs drawn from her brain while she slept, and was kept subdued by unlicensed drugs? Maybe it's the part where she wakes up and records cover versions of Nine Inch Nails instead of sugary pop?

Narkalui

Nerf Herder
I've seen Striking Vipers and I thought it was poor. If Charlie Brooker is running out of ideas then he could go back to doing Screenwipe, which I miss...