2.05: The Walking Dead - Chupacabra

Shane is one of the best characters. his conflict with Rik is one of the most interesting aspects to the series. you can see the fact he thinks ric stole his woman is bubbling under the surface all the time.

Shane's quite interesting, but a bit too easy to dislike. His decision to kill Otis does make sense (saved 2/3 of Otis, Shane and Carl, whereas not killing him would've led to 3/3 deaths) but he's hard to sympathise with.

Shane's quite interesting, but a bit too easy to dislike. His decision to kill Otis does make sense (saved 2/3 of Otis, Shane and Carl, whereas not killing him would've led to 3/3 deaths) but he's hard to sympathise with.

Is that so? I recommend to watch Otis death scene again as it's quite obvious that they would had made it. Shane just allowed the darkness to swallow him and whisper in his ear to deal with Otis.

I'm not sure I buy that.

Yes, they did have time for a tussle, but there were tons of walkers who all stopped to try and feast on Otis and both he and Shane would probably have (or, at least, could have) been caught.

i dont think shane should have had time to think it all through clearly anyway. he had a split second to make a decision. should he shot otis meaning there was a better chance for his own escape adn survival meaning a better chance for carl to love... he made the only choice he could

I can see why folks would be confused about Shane as a character, and I think thats because they show a completely different character in the flashbacks, even when we first meet Shane in series one at the campsite, he's not shown as dark, and impulsive a person as he is becoming.

Now I cant work out if Shane had a dark side to him all the time and was very good at hiding it. Or this change of character is just unrealistic, done by the writers of the show to make things interesting. He's gone a hell of a long way off track!!!!!

Also I find it hard to believe that Rick and Shane would be such good friends, because they are at complete oposite views on everything - well at least since Rick returned from his Coma.
I cant help but wonder was there more of this in the past and Rick just didnt see the darkness in Shane's personality. The chat they had in the woods about Shane's womanising ways, and Rick being the complete oposite - would these two men really be so close, would Rick really trust a man who was obviously so shallow close to his family.....
Or again is this just an unrealistic change that the writers have done to try and make this interesting....

Ive not read the comics so cant comment on how close this is all to those. However, I do sometimes think writers throw things in to shock, some cheap tricks I find - I dont always appreciate them, can be a bit annoying.

I forgot to mention what I thought of Andrea - she's making mistakes in her bid to be a tough woman. Shooting Daryl being one mistake, and Im sure we'll see a few more wrong choices from her this season.

Rune, it's possible that in a nice, civilised world they were a bit of an odd couple that got along really well, but the extreme situation they find themselves in is exacerbating and ratcheting up the differences between them.

Andrea was a moron to shoot Daryl. Not only because it was him and not a walker (perhaps understandable), but because a gunshot is bloody loud and would attract nearby walkers.

Rune, it's possible that in a nice, civilised world they were a bit of an odd couple that got along really well, but the extreme situation they find themselves in is exacerbating and ratcheting up the differences between them.

Andrea was a moron to shoot Daryl. Not only because it was him and not a walker (perhaps understandable), but because a gunshot is bloody loud and would attract nearby walkers.

I agree with your thoughts on Andrea LOL

I will have to disagree with you on the odd couple friendship. Rick didnt come over as a stupid person, he was a police officer too. Most folks tend to be good friends with others that share their world view.
I had good friends for a long while, but then they started to show their darker side, which I picked up on and they are no longer my good friend......

Ah, but in we're-not-calling-this-a-zombie-apocalypse world you don't have the luxury of ditching someone and getting a new best friend forever, because 95% of everyone has been eaten or infected.

Rick and Shane are still friends because they dont have the option not to be

Yes, since the disaster, folks dont have much choices for their friends

But I was talking about before the disaster :D How these two characters were even friends then when they do seem so very different.

There isnt much storyline on Dale and TDog so far, wonder why that is. Cant help but wonder if the writers are going to get rid of those two!

If Shane is a good guy then why he's trying to hide the truth? Why not to show his head and admit that the situation was desperate, or even try to go that extra mile to see if they can make before to pull out the gun to do a mercy shot.

I was watching the AMC marathon and I'm apologizing up front if this has already been said but, Andrea was an idiot!
How many times by how many different people was she told not to shoot the rifle?! I think it's great that she's trying to help keep them safe, but she really needs to learn to listen. Not only did she risk essentially throwing up a flare for any walkers that happened to be in the area, but she almost killed Daryl!

I have to agree with all your comments - Andrea was stupid and was told several times not to shoot. It is difficult to get a handle on Shane, because he hasn't been consistently portrayed - is he just a good liar or has he become darker because of what happened - the next episode shows it more clearly in his encounter with Dale and answers that fully.
I couldn't help but wonder why anyone would keep walkers in a barn...... I know Hershel and his group are a religious but that's just taking things a bit far.
It was a family thing - but they have obviously been too isolated on the farm. Once more walkers start arriving from the city they cannot carry on as they have. I still don't understand why there are so few walkers around the farm. Herschel "deals with them" - but not by locking them in the barn -
that is "mother, Mr. and Mrs...."
- edit: sorry that's what Maggie tells Glen but in the next episode. Anyway, maybe there is still more about the farm I still need to learn.

It isn't safe at the farm and they do need to press on away from Atlanta.

What if you were in Rick's shoes and Shane is right, what would you do and where would you go?

The army base?

John Christopher had the right idea in "The Death of Grass". You need a cul de sac valley somewhere that is surrounded by three steep sides and that can be barricaded at the exit. You then defend your food supply from all comers without room for sentiment. And to survive you must change and drop of the vestiges of what we call civilisation. Daryl and Andrea are the most useful members of that group, T-Dog is not - he hasn't got it yet and he won't change. Dale is their conscience but they'll need him less and less as time goes on.

So, they should head North into the hills - one of the National Forests might be suitable, or I might go right up to the Canadian border. Roads are going to be impassable so horses only (and I can't ride.)

Last edited: