2.05: The Walking Dead - Chupacabra

ctg

weaver of the unseen
"Oh my days..." that's what my stepson would say as this episode rocked.

Big time.

I'm not lying.

Tension was creeping higher and higher every minute until the point when the group set for a dinner at Hershel's farm. And then as a pudding, they delivered the biggest secret by ... revealing the barn being full of walkers.

Yes, not everything is right in the paradise, and as always in these sort of places, the safety is just an illusion. And you as a survivor cannot relax your guard for a minute. Not unless you make it absolutely sure that the ground is secure and even then - in the world full of walkers - someone has to stay on guard.

So, I guess we are going to see soon Rick's gang lifting the foot from the clutch and setting their sights for something safer (a prison and hopefully before that, a certain gated community).

What I really liked in this episode was to see Andrea on top of RV, holding a rifle and her famous hat. Rick getting more latched to the world of yesterday. Dale providing fatherly advice to younger people, namely to Glenn. Lori becoming even more paranoid, while Carol accepts the loss of her child and ... Daryl ... where can I begin?

Well, maybe from those "Oh my days..." moments and without spoiling the whole episode allow me to ask: How can he survive against all those odds?

Last edited:
Daryl just gets better and better. I've liked him from the start (in terms of writing and acting) and after his speech about the Cherokee rose in the previous episode and now this, he's fast become my favourite of the bunch.

Plus, crossbow = cool.

I like that he's not just a redneck but that he actually has a golden heart under all the grime. Merl has never been a good influence on him, but it's obvious that older brother got him through many hard years.

But even as him, I wouldn't count that he could survive long time alone in the fast becoming zombie-land. The cities must be pouring out hungry herds that move on to the countryside and you saw those two. They didn't look exactly as if they had come from a country-side.

In one way Hershel's farm is becoming fast a trap and then what are they going to do because the old vet cannot jail all of them. It's an impossibility that Kirkman wrote in comics. They need something that is safe for a long time and without spoiling, I'd like to ask what you is that place (note, I know that I wrote in white the answer at above)?

But I'd like to ask an academical question:

What if you were in Rick's shoes and Shane is right, what would you do and where would you go?

The army base?

Yeah Daryl have grown from regular redneck type character. I like that the ep focused on him, growth for his character. Awesome ep, best so far this season. The tension was higher than ever.

I also like how they write Maggie,Glenn. Its more fun,humor in how they act around each other. It was more mundane, bleak romance in the comics story at this point. Glenn makes me laugh alittle in this ep.

He did that same thing to me. And I can a lot of stuff that I went through in his age as when I dated girls. So all the innocent smile, looks in his eyes, innovative places.

I think Glenn romance angle is delivering a lot more in this format than we were seeing in the comics. And at this point t-bone was getting more attention, but in the reality I think they're going to show it at the end of this season.

He did that same thing to me. And I can a lot of stuff that I went through in his age as when I dated girls. So all the innocent smile, looks in his eyes, innovative places.

I think Glenn romance angle is delivering a lot more in this format than we were seeing in the comics. And at this point t-bone was getting more attention, but in the reality I think they're going to show it at the end of this season.

You wish he was getting more attention ? I dont get that of your post. T-dog isnt from the comic series. He is new for the tv show like Daryl.

About the Rick question, the academical one you asked ? I would not go an army base. Somewhere remote like this farm would be better for the group. Less humans interaction the safer. But thankfully Shane is not right and you cant abandon people easily.

I think Daryl's character is growing on just about everyone who watches the show, me included. Such a well written series. I really like the fact NO ONE has called them zombies. That seems to add just a tad more authenticity to it. I never read the graphic novels but do know of certain locations the group is headed for. Beyond that it's all new to me.
One question I have is, and it seems like somewhat of a flaw, is if the walkers are so 'starved' for flesh that's still 'alive', why are there so many walkers? Would not there be a tipping scale that most people would be completely devoured to the point they can't come back as zombies? Do they explain that in the story coming up or is my math just plain wrong? Shouldn't all the walkers then be fat like the guy in the well?

You will see more zombies and different kind of dead when you progress the story. And the theory that Max Brooks introduced in his books was the virus keeps them alive beyond the clinical death.

So at some point you are going to see frozen zombies that come back alive, when the spring arrives. The winters are hard for the survivors but also a blessing for them to raid the county-side - taken account that you will have balls to do the raid. And that is because of the other survivor groups might have the same idea.

Therefore, as the story progress, you'll see bigger and bigger herds, where more walkers has gathered together to pick the area clean from anything living. And if take a look their behaviour, you'll notice that it's not the fresh flesh that they grave but it also the other dead.

This will come out at the moment when some of the characters arrive in the area, where the dead are on their active form, and in there you might spot from time to time, zombies kneeling down to eat from each other.

It's a cannibalistic behaviour, but what can you do when you have that sort of hunger inside you. Not much. And my theory is that some of the survivors are immune to the virus or they might have developed a heightened resistance towards the virus.

That fat guy in the well was bloated and not fat. He was obvious drowning victim and all that water the body had sucked from the well had made him that bloated. But at the same time, the bloating had stretched the skin to it's extreme, and the corpse did break in half because those body parts had reached their limit.

You wish he was getting more attention ? I dont get that of your post. T-dog isnt from the comic series. He is new for the tv show like Daryl.

Tyreese = T-dog.

After-Apocalypse

Tyreese is a prominent member of the survivors, he was additionally a central character within the series. He was portrayed as a strong survivor who often acted as an unofficial de-facto leader of the group after Rick.
His teenage daughter, Julie, and her boyfriend, Chris, joined Rick's group shortly after they began their journey away from Atlanta.

A tall and muscular man, Tyreese's already apparent and impressive physique quickly proved essential for the demoralized Atlanta survivor group, helping them greatly in moving obstacles and clearing zombies on the road. The group's weariness of a new member was quelled by his generally friendly and helpful nature as well as his participation in whatever needed doing. A significant moment in his integration was saving a downed Rick in Wiltshire Estates; this swift act gained Tyreese the trust of their burdened leader.

These events also resulted in a strongly evident leadership position alongside Rick, as well as a friendship that would last for the majority of his time in the series.
On The Road and Hershel's Farm

Revealing himself to be a one-time NFL pro football player in the late 1990's, Tyreese was much like Rick in many ways: strong (both physically and mentally), a devastatingly effective melee fighter (managing to kill more than ten zombies by himself), a stern but loving father, and a generally sensible person. Despite his strengths he did have his weaknesses. While traveling on the road he was revealed as a terrible shot, and recognized for it. Thus, his duties in relation to stopping zombie threats was up-close, with his signature weapon being a hammer. It wasn't long with the group until he established an interest and eventual relationship with Carol, who he spent time with while staying at Hershel's Farm.

In between their time on the road and at Hershel's Farm, Tyreese was shown to be wary of his daughter and her boyfriend's relationship after catching them in an intimate moment before escaping Wiltshire Estates and trying to be alone several times around the farm, showing an extremely protective nature over Julie, but gaining resentment from the couple.

Tyrese is not T-dog read that link. Read wikipedia, they have totally different history. Dont even look similar. They give the Hammer doesnt make him Tyrese.

T-dog is generic black guy tv replacement. I have read every issue Tyrese was in. Why would T-dog be the only one written so differently ?

IronE Singleton as Theodore "T-Dog" Douglas (season 1–2)

Every comics fan know how different Tyrese was. You forgot the important parts about Tyrese family. Shane took Tyrese place of close friend, leader role alongside Rick. T-dog is the character that is least important in the tv show. Have you read every issue of the comics like me?

Its not a real issue, lets talk about the tv show.

I have gaps between numbers 58 to 72.

A popular speculation is that T-Dog may be an alternate personification as Tyreese from the comic series.

Now that was my first time to make same speculation. But you say he isn't and I trust he isn't. Who am I to argue, but to me he is Tyreese even if he's going under different name. We see if he's going to get his head chopped off.

With the hallucinations of his brother and the ear trophies he took from the walkers at the creek it looked for a minute like Daryl was going to regress hard. My wife said "Geez, just when Daryl was starting to become a human." And then it he apparently gets his brains blown. Good move not to kill off the best character on the show. Wild episode for that hillbilly.

Daryl is my favourite character on the show even if he isn't in the comics.Which I have not read.I've like Andrea up until this episode.I thought,if they kill off Daryl I may actually quit watching and I love the show.
I thought the part with Glenn was cute but I wish they would do a bit better by him.He is scared and questioning life like everyone else but they always seem to show him in a less serious way than they do the others.
I understand what you are saying about T-dog being different but what if he is that character from the comics and they only changed him to fit the stereotype of most black people in America so they would gain more black viewers since they would have someone they could identify with more? I know its sounds bad but I wouldn't put it past them to do that.They completely changed the character but thats probably who he is supposed to be in a sad way.
Honestly,they know the walkers are attracted to sound and they are hungry.I would use that to my advantage and kill them all.I always wondered how they get around the whole thing about the human body only taking two months to decompose.
Although if they thought really logically and everything worked like that,then we wouldn't have much of a show.

I have gaps between numbers 58 to 72.

Now that was my first time to make same speculation. But you say he isn't and I trust he isn't. Who am I to argue, but to me he is Tyreese even if he's going under different name. We see if he's going to get his head chopped off.

Where is Tyrese family, Tyrese was hardcore, a sort of leader from the start. I guess the fact they didnt use Tyrese name, personal history shows T-Dog is a replacement because they dont dare to let what happened to Tyrese in the end happen in the tv.

Even if T-dog got his head chopped off what does that prove ? He has nothing in common with Tyrese except T-name and bieng black. Shane was suppose to die and he isnt dead in tv version. They changed alo there. They can do what they wants. Tv fans dont know the story anyway.

Its better to take things as they are imo and accept Daryl,T-Dog is new tv characters. Why would Glenn,Maggie,Shane who are vastly less important characters than Tyrese was in the stories he was in be copied exactly looks,his but Tyrese becomes a totally different guy, without a family, same history but similar T-name.....

I dont care which character they use, i doubt they will have too similar arcs anyway. Rick is the only must character to have since he is the protoganist of the whole comics series so far.

What if you were in Rick's shoes and Shane is right, what would you do and where would you go?

The farm offers a superficial attraction because of the ability to generate your own food, but there is going to be so much canned food around that such a requirement is not going to be a consideration for many years.

Ignore the use by dates on cans, they can lose some of the flavour but tests have shown they can be safe to eat up to a 100 years later.

The plan must be therefore to stock up on canned food, find somewhere with a working well and then last out the Zombie plaque somewhere isolated and easily fortified.

The farm could be fortified, but only wth a log pallisade, you really need reinforced concrete or steel to keep the Zombies out. An army base would typically have a wide perimeter of wire only, so is not a sensible option. An evacuated prison in a rural area might be an ideal option.

Glad I watched this one in full (having forgotten to watch recently).

I agree with the general consensus that Daryl's a great character. He's undoubtedly my favourite, although I like Shane quite a lot too.

I do wonder why they've been doing what they've been doing with the barn.

Very enjoyable episode.

Finally got to see this one now.

I couldnt help but wonder why anyone would keep walkers in a barn...... I know Hershal and his group are a religous but thats just taking things a bit far.
Im sure how group will sort that particular problem out and show Hershal's lot the truth about the infected.

Daryl is a complicated character, I can see more interesting things coming from that character and Im convinced Carol is sweet on him

I now think Rick needs to let go of the idea Sophia is alive, he needs to think about whats good for the group as a whole. But I dont think he's ready to be that hard yet.
I dont understand why Rick got into chatting about Shane's previous lovers, unless of course he was trying to get Shane to fess up about something!!!!
And that chat didnt endear Shane to me at all, Ive met men like that think they are Gods Gift!!!

I thought Shane lost your regard when he murdered a man who saved his life? :p

I agree with you!

But I think that Rune was less sympathetic to that argument.