Discussion -- 300 Word Challenge #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: DISCUSSION, 300 Word Challenge, April

I'm killing myself laughing Ursa, there is coincidence here (and me missing things and picking up on others, adding still others which aren't there...)

...adding still others which aren't there...)
They may be there, even if I didn't deliberately put them there. :) But I won't be able to say one way or the other without knowing what they are (;)).

A very long time ago, I used to say puns inadvertently. Cultivating my pun-making has allowed me to notice when I've said a pun - though this isn't foolproof (;)) - and makes people assume that all my puns are deliberate (which is, of course, completely true ;)).

They may be there, even if I didn't deliberately put them there. :) But I won't be able to say one way or the other without knowing what they are (;)).

Aye, obviously. I'll get back to you, want to check on something first!

I've only been dipping into this thread every now and then, but every time I do it seems you are talking about Boneman, Gary. Are you stalking him or something? Does he need to take out a restraining order?

Just trying not to bear my pimply ass. See whole thread for details.

Mind, he is very attractive, and I'm at a funny age. Your around thirty aren't you. I wonder if you're my type big boy?:eek:

Resting may definitely be in order, especially on laurels...

And a final thank you to Gary, whose threat may well have swayed a lot of voters. Interesting, that, with that in mind, The End Is Nigh voted for you, Gary... Thanks for your campaign - I'm thinking of standing for politics; are you available as my campaign manager?:eek:

I was thinking that. I'm very cheap, reliable; I could edit your speeches and write your jokes.

New career just around the corner.:eek:

First congratulations to Boneman!

And to Ursa Major, I am truly impressed with your research and attention to detail. I thought I was doing well spending a couple of hours coming up with mnemonics for the zodiac. You must have put quite a lot of time into it. For a new person like me it's interesting to see how much time and detail someone puts into crafting a story.

Well CONGRATULATIONS Boneman! A story I'm sure we'll all be proud to have representing our little corner of the Chronnes...!!!

Thank you all so much, for those great words.

And thank you to a well-known supermarket chain, who gave me the idea in the first place: I forgot something, and had to walk into town twice in quick succession. I was bemoaning my own memory, when my wife phoned me to remind me to pick up some hot-cross buns, and I thought 'if only she'd phoned me last time I was here, or better still, could make a phone call back in time...' It set me to thinking which event I'd change if I could phone back in time, and voila.

Congratulations Boneman! A very deserved win. And how wonderful to know that inspiration randomly strikes others in odd ways too (just wish it'd strike for the 75 worder now).

And thank you Paranoid Marvin - such a wonderful treat to see an additional vote just before the end of the competition.

I think everyone who took part in this challenge should give themselves a deserved pat on the back - a truly wonderful range of very varied stories, all written to a high standard. It's been a real joy to read through them all, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next challenge brings

Congratulations Boneman! A wonderful story indeed.

And Ursa, the day you write a simple story I'll start believing that Madelyn Murry O'Haire has returned from the grave and is talking about what a wonderful place heaven is.:D

(apart from Mouse's excellent photograph)

You are too kind. :D

Václavské náměstí is Wenceslas Square (which is anything but). Pražský orloj is the local's name for the Astronomical Clock

Knew these ones! Yay! ;)

And I can't believe I got six votes! Six! I can't believe one of those votes was from TJ! :D Serious story this time, see, I stayed away from the daftness.

Thanks to Boneman, Karn, MstrTal, Paranoid Marvin, Saph and TJ for the votes.

And CONGRATULATIONS to Boneman! Could you tell me which real-life story you based it on now, please? I remember you said you'd based it on something real and me being a div, I don't know the story. :eek:

Congrats to Boneman!

Thanks to Hoopyfrood for the vote and all the others that mentioned that they liked my entry! It always feels nice when someone says they like your work....

Well done, Boneman.

My Twenty Four Twelves was visual verse, a Concrete Poem, about the endless cycle of time where the hours were repeated in words.

Thank you to Theresa for spotting I actually had 25 12s, and therefore the wrong title. 24 tied in with the Prague Orloj being a 24 hour clock. It was designed by a mathematician, and I liked the mathematical idea. :p

Could you tell me which real-life story you based it on now, please? I remember you said you'd based it on something real and me being a div, I don't know the story. :eek:

2004 tsunami? At least, that's what I was assuming...although I think I'd forgotten it was on Boxing Day...(This is where I find out I'd completely misread it or summat!)

And no problem, SJAB! It was one of those stories that just struck a chord and I wouldn't be able to say quite why!

And of course, Congratulations, Boneman!!

the rodential one said:
And I can't believe I got six votes! Six! I can't believe one of those votes was from TJ! Serious story this time, see, I stayed away from the daftness.

Now that's a complication of the open poll I hadn't considered; votes carrying different weights depending on how much respect the author has for the elector. I suppose it was inevitable, in a way.

We will see if the social stigma of failing to vote, or of having one's choices exposed to the world will reduce the number of entries (after all, when the subject was set nobody knew the system of polling that would be used; that was worked out exhaustively (and I suspect exhaustingly) during the writing period (but worked pretty well, dinnit?). But I don't think anyone is scared of my "named and shamed" post, and it's quite fun following the progress that closely.

Oh, and grovelling admiration and congratulations to Boneman.

I gave my vote to TEIN as that story was quite brilliant. I thought that particular story did really hit like hundred thousand volts.

CTG: Many thanks. It made my month.

Thanks also to everyone that gave me a mention in their lists.

Roll on the next one.

2004 tsunami? At least, that's what I was assuming...although I think I'd forgotten it was on Boxing Day...(This is where I find out I'd completely misread it or summat!)

Oh yeah! I'm a complete spanner. :eek:

Now that's a complication of the open poll I hadn't considered; votes carrying different weights depending on how much respect the author has for the elector. I suppose it was inevitable, in a way.

I respect everyone on these forums. ;) Just that I usually do the silly story, which I know TJ doesn't go for.

And I can't believe I got six votes! Six! I can't believe one of those votes was from TJ! :D
Call it a mental aberration... :p

Congratulation, Boneman! An excellent start for the Challenge. (* makes a mental note to have Boneman abducted from the opening round if we ever start a 500 word Challenge...*)

And thanks for the vote, Chel! I'm really chuffed.

Status
Not open for further replies.