Neal Stephenson

I've been looking into his stuff, and I'm a little scared. It seems daunting. Can anyone reassure me?

I look books with very strong characters, which the reader will come to care for. Also, amid whatever trials the characters face, I do like a sense of honour and heroism. An optimistic view of human nature and relationships, if you like.

My favourite authors include (for example) Gay Gavriel Kay, George RR, and David Gemmell.

I do very much like philosophy, and stimulating ideas, but I don't like it when the ideas come before the characters. So, if you understand me, I'd rather read "fiction science" than "science fiction"!

Would I like Neal Stephenson?

Coragem

Coragem

I'm going to say, "Yes!"

Despite the heaviness of Anathem, I really came to care about the characters. I think they really did have a sense of honour and heroism. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that this book was a masterpiece.

I picked up Snow Crash for Audible for a trip I just had to make. Three hours there and three hours back I didn't stop the book once. When Hiro starts getting into the linguistics discussion with the Librarian I was enthralled. Only halfway through, but I have it on my eReader as well so I can continue it when I'm not driving :)

That's the first Stephenson book I have tried, and I did get it on the advice of this message board.

I've been looking into his stuff, and I'm a little scared. It seems daunting. Can anyone reassure me?

I look books with very strong characters, which the reader will come to care for. Also, amid whatever trials the characters face, I do like a sense of honour and heroism. An optimistic view of human nature and relationships, if you like.

My favourite authors include (for example) Gay Gavriel Kay, George RR, and David Gemmell.

I do very much like philosophy, and stimulating ideas, but I don't like it when the ideas come before the characters. So, if you understand me, I'd rather read "fiction science" than "science fiction"!

Coragem
I haven't read Gemmel, but your other 2 authors are in my top five Fantasy writers. I loved the Barogue Cycle so much, I have since read most of his other books, even the SF. Anathem is another favorite, as his latest book REAMDE.

You know, I don't think Gollum's gotten around to reading Anathem yet.
Yeh I know..no need to rub it in though....;):D

I also have a copy of README looking down upon me from the shelves as I type this, a more recent mega tome I still need to get through.

Moat recently they've released Book 1 from the collaborative online project with Greg Bear and co. converted into book form entitled Mongoliad. I'm not sure if I'm going to get that particular item but a heads up anyway for those Stephenson fans amongst you...:)

As per my post elsewhere that Mongoliad Book 1 (Kindle edition) is on offer on Amazon UK. I've decided at two quid I'll give it a try.

Then read his earlier stuff first before the door stops. Even Anathem is an easy read after he leaves the Monastery.

Someone just suggested Snow Crash. I love Zodiac. The Diamond Age isn't heavy going.

I think that with his bigger books, as soon as you get into the flow and feel of it they're a very easy read. Anathem and REAMDE both have that similar action vibe (REAMDE especially so) that you find in his shorter books, you just get a bit more filling.

I'm a big fan of Kay and Martin (and liked Gemmell as a kid) and Stephenson's definitely up there with those two in my top authors list. Hopefully that'll help convince you!

His early stuff is very fun, relatively easy reading. Cryptonomicon, I think, marks the point at which his work becomes more involved and complex and a little slower. Personally, I loved Cryptonomicon and Anathem, although I never got into the Baroque cycle. His newest novel, Reamde, returns in some ways to his earlier stuff, although it does somewhat shift around a bit in terms of its focus. Personally, I loved the video game world he created within it - the novel was worth reading as much for that as for the story, as far as I was concerned.

Anyways, Snow Crash and Diamond Age are classic cyberpunk, Anathem and Cryptonomicon are great, intriguing novels, and Reamde is a unique semi-thriller with some really interesting MMO world building nestled inside. Cobwebs is a fun government intrigue book, Zodiac is an eco-thriller... he's all over the board, and it's all good stuff.

Personally, I loved Cryptonomicon and Anathem, although I never got into the Baroque cycle.

I'm the same, I really felt the Baroque Cycle books get bogged down in names and events that just don't feel particularly interesting or exciting (to me).