Any Fans of Neal Stephenson?

Alcyon

Books are my anti-drug
I am a huge fan of Neal Stephenson, especially Zodiac, and he is a relatively unknown modern Sci-Fi writer; anyone here a fan of his work? Which books of his do you like, and why?

First topic by the way, hello everyone!

Welcome to Chronicles, Alcyon!

Yes, I'm a fan of Stephenson though I've only read the first part of the Baroque Cycle and am just today beginning The System of the World.

I've considered picking his books up before, but so far have always decided against it for lack of any reliable reviews or recommendations. What are his books like? Is there a particular one that you would recommend over the others?

Stephenson is hardly unknown. Both Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle were, I believe, best-sellers on both sides of the Atlantic. His earlier more overtly science fiction novels might be less well-known, though. Snowcrash caused quite a buzz when it was published, although I thought it was over-hyped. The Diamond Age, on the other hand, I really enjoyed.

red_temple said:
I've considered picking his books up before, but so far have always decided against it for lack of any reliable reviews or recommendations. What are his books like? Is there a particular one that you would recommend over the others?
Well, I've only read the first two of his Baroque Cycle but those are a mixture of great storytelling and wonderful backgrounds. They are mostly historical tales based around some true historically important persons/events. The Baroque Cycle specifically deals with some definitely known historical names and also gives us a truly amazing and amusing story of a 'Joe Public' of the past.

I know that isn't a terribly good description but I can't think of how to describe it properly.

I've only read Quicksilver so far, but that was very good (and pretty complex - but that just made it more interesting). I'm planning on reading Snow Crash, the other two Baroque cycle books and Cryptonomicon books though, so I guess you could say I'm a fan.

Cryptonomicon is very good, as is Quicksilver. However, both books seem to be much more about painting a portrait of a time in history rather than telling a coherent plot (rather like Kim Stanley Robinson's Mars Trilogy in fact, just set on Earth in the late 17th and early 18th Century). When he does have plots kicking in, they become unputdownable.

The Confusion and The System of the World are on stand-by to read. After them I'll get round to The Diamond Age and Snow Crash.

dwndrgn said:
Well, I've only read the first two of his Baroque Cycle but those are a mixture of great storytelling and wonderful backgrounds. They are mostly historical tales based around some true historically important persons/events. The Baroque Cycle specifically deals with some definitely known historical names and also gives us a truly amazing and amusing story of a 'Joe Public' of the past.

I know that isn't a terribly good description but I can't think of how to describe it properly.
OH I just posted you a query in the July reading thread on this one. I'm glad someone has posted a thread on this author. I've very recently picked up the first 2 books from the Baroque cycle and will get "System" before year's end but I haven't read them yet.

So folks you're saying these books are good? What author if any that you know of does Stephenson compare with esp. in terms of the Baroque cycle??

I think he's somewhat similar to Kim Stanley Robinson (as I said above) in how his books are structured. In actual prose style he comes across as very old-school, possibly reminiscent of Tolstoy but with a much sharper sense of humour.

If you're a dog-lover I'd suggest steeling myself. There's a very disturbing scene near the start of Quicksilver involving live dissection :eek:

It's also worth noting that there are numerous links between The Baroque Cycle and Cryptonomicon that means it may be slightly better to read Cryptonomicon first.

It's quite difficult to compare the Baroque cycle to any other authors I've known - in terms of scope and complexity, it can be compared to Erikson, though if anything it is more complex, but that's where the comparison ends. But it's closer to a historical science fiction novel than a historical fantasy novel - the main characters are almost all scientists and there is a lot on the early development of science (it's more interesting than it sounds, because those scientists were very strange characters - particularly Newton).

Actually having done a double degree in Chem and Pharmacology and Honours in Phsyiology and now currently working in the IT field this could be something that is right up my alley. I quite like fantasy/historical SF with a hard science component plus if the books are well written and complex this could be a reading highlight of the year to date!

Looks like I might have to promote this up the TBR pile a bit more quickly...

The Baroque Cycle are books you'll either love or hate. Perversely, while I loved Cryptonomicon for its irreverence, slap-dash plotting and occasional outbreaks of authorial declaiming on various subjects... I found the same style annoying in Quicksilver et al. The silly anachronisms spoiled it for me, as did the random plotting. The sections featuring real historical characters were interesting, but there weren't enough to qualify the book as real historical fiction. I've still yet to read The System of the World, although I do plan to do so... one day...

iansales said:
Snowcrash caused quite a buzz when it was published, although I thought it was over-hyped. The Diamond Age, on the other hand, I really enjoyed.
Really? Personally I found it the other way round - loved Snow Crash, but I felt Diamond Age was something of a dissapointment...

Well, every cyberpunk novel after Richard Kadrey's Metrophage was a disappointment :)

Yes, big fan! I think I've read everything by him now.

I found the Baroque Cycle just way too long and Quicksilver the best of the three. Cryptonomicon was better, but I was disappointed that Enoch Root was not more explained within the books as a whole. I've heard that he planned a book set in the future to feature Enoch Root, so maybe the explanation will come in that.

I like his use of large canvases and multipul characters, though sometimes it becomes difficult to follow them all.

Alcyon, I also loved Zodiac. From a realistic science point of view, it is probably the best enviromental disaster scenario I've read. (Though I like the idea of Kurt Vonnegut's 'Ice-9'.) Usually, you only get the kind of James Bond/Sahara/Doomwatch bad science.

The first of his books I read was Snow Crash, and I also preferred it to The Diamond Age. I've also read Interface.

I've already started threads for these books, so if you post in them maybe we can get a Stephenson forum here.

I'm stil making my way through the Baroque Cycle and I'm really liking it!!

It's a long affair no doubt about it but Stephenson is a very good writer and knows his subject unlike other more lauded authors like Dan Brown IMO. Incidentally, currently reading Matthew Pearl's Dante Club that Brown ironically praises. At least Pearl has done his reasearch and is another writer superior to Brown. Sorry to any Brown fans but there's so much better literarture out there.

I've not read any of his work, but I was looking at Cryptonomicon in the bookstore the other day and was quite interested. I only didn't buy it because it is so darn long and I've got a fairly large to be read pile at the moment.

Should I take the plunge and acquire it?

I recently bought Snowcrash, though I haven't had the time to read it yet. Will do so sometime this autumn.