Neal Stephenson

Kierkegaurdian

Howdy! I was wondering if there were any other Neal Stephenson fans around. He doesn't have an author sub-forum (probably because of lack of interest) so I was just curious if anyone was a fan! I am halfway through The Confusion and love it. I got my undergraduate degree in Philosophy, so a lot of the main characters in this epic work are some of my most loved historical writers.

i'm halfway through the Confusion too, but it's taken me three years to get this far...! very rich writing.

Yes, it is. Every bit of it so far has been fantastic ... Stephenson must have been "in the zone" while writing this, to keep the complexity, humor, and storytelling elements all top notch throughout.

I have Anathem and The Diamond Age, I'm trying to source more (probably starting with stand alone works like Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon rather than The Baroque Cycle because of costs.)

Hi there,
I have read The Confusion, Anathem and Cryptonomicon. I cannot believe this author isn't more well known! My husband bought me The Confusion second hand (the first of his books that I read) and I was engrossed within a few pages. The others I have simply bought as I have found them in bookshops, though I do plan to order in the first and last of the Baroque series if I don't stumble across them soonish.

Very dense detail but he manages to create rip-roaring stories as well! Anathem was prob my least favourite of the three, as I enjoyed how he hinged the plot around historical events in the other two.

I look forward to reading more (esp while waiting for George RR Martin's next book :)

Actually you'll find Stephenson is talked about here on a semi regular basis. I have his entire oeuvre including his early stuff like The Big U.

He's one of the outstanding breed of savvy contemporary SFF writers that are currently out there.

The Baroque Cycle is brilliant but his best works to date are probably still Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash.

I would be interested in checking this out. I have a philosophy degree and studied Kierkegaard, however, I am not up for heavy reading these days.
What is it like?

The Baroque Cycle takes place from about 1650 to 1720, so a number of important philosophers / scientists were around (Spinoza, Leibnitz, Newton). The story takes place on several fronts: the development of the Royal Society of natural philosophers (empirical scientists) in London; the intellectual rivalry between Newton and Leibnitz; the story of Eliza, an escaped Turkish slave, and her rise to power in the financial and political courts of Europe; and the adventures of the Shaftoe brothers Jack (King of the Vagabonds, and general ne'er-do-well and trouble maker) and Bob (soldier, trying to free his love from the grips of a powerful English lord). The storylines intertwined, and the whole massive work is very well written and engaging. Despite how large it is, it is very readable. You can tell that the author really loved Jack Shaftoe; his portions of the story are especially brilliant!

Edit: The Baroque Cycle was first published as a series of shorter novels. Now, you will likely find them in the form of three ~800 page novels, entitled Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World.

Edit 2: Without giving too much away ... the books are not entirely historical epics, and there are a few subtle reasons why they qualify for discussion on a science fiction / fantasy board :-D

Edit: The Baroque Cycle was first published as a series of shorter novels. Now, you will likely find them in the form of three ~800 page novels, entitled Quicksilver, The Confusion, and The System of the World.

I have a copy of Quicksilver, but am hesitating to start it because of the possible committment to reading the next ones. Is it really worth it?

Actually you'll find Stephenson is talked about here on a semi regular basis. I have his entire oeuvre including his early stuff like The Big U.

He's one of the outstanding breed of savvy contemporary SFF writers that are currently out there.

The Baroque Cycle is brilliant but his best works to date are probably still Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash.

You haven't read Anathem yet, or you hadn't when we last spoke of Stephenson. I've come up with a neat little way of helping you along. Anathem is to A Canticle for Leibowitz what Nova Swing is to Roadside Picnic.

That should get him reading.

You haven't read Anathem yet, or you hadn't when we last spoke of Stephenson. I've come up with a neat little way of helping you along. Anathem is to A Canticle for Leibowitz what Nova Swing is to Roadside Picnic.

That should get him reading.
That good huh? You are correct in that I've not yet read Anathem, something I plan to rectify in January....so up to now for me Snow Crash and Cryptonomicon are my favourites.

In case anyone is wondering those other 3 novels cited are all excellent with Canticle and Roadside already regarded as SFF classics. Anything by M. John Harrison is also worth seeking out!

Cheers.....:)

Doesn't he write extremely long books?
Depends...Baroque cycle is big as is Cryptonomicon but U Turn, Snow Crash, Zodiac, Interface and The Diamond Age aren't too lengthy. Anathem which I'm yet to read looks lengthy but then I have a Trade edition.

The hardback of Anathem is somewhere in the region of 770 pages. His new book is even longer.

But I still think Gollum should read the bloody thing... it gets really good after the first 100 or so pages.

I like his earlier books but haven't kept up with his new stuff, which, apparently, can be tough going. Snow Crash was great. :D

Anathem is a good book, but sometimes gets bogged down in philosophy.

The Baroque cycle is a delight. Treat yourself to Quicksilver. Witty, sparkling dialogue, great plot set against the Enlightenment, the Glorious Revolution, and the beginning of modern banking, and a cast of disreputable characters and famous scientists. Does not require any knowledge of history, but likely to make one interested in this fascinating period.