Patrick Rothfuss-The Name Of The Wind-Book one of The King Killer Chronicles

I was given this to read recently, and have just read the first tenth or so. I must confess, I'm amazed that it's considered a striking, notable novel - he said, quietly. It couldn't possibly be more cliched. It's also remarkably dull. Hopefully, more recent work is better (it usually is!). This is not going to be a book I can finish.

I was given this to read recently, and have just read the first tenth or so. I must confess, I'm amazed that it's considered a striking, notable novel - he said, quietly. It couldn't possibly be more cliched. It's also remarkably dull. Hopefully, more recent work is better (it usually is!). This is not going to be a book I can finish.
I'd have been surprised if it was your cuppa tea. Try The Slow Regard of Silent Things, maybe. It'a a beautifully moving character study.

I couldn't finish. This was the book that revealed to me how far modern tastes in fantasy have diverged from my own. I found the protagonist to be the most transparent kind of wish-fulfilment, and the setting is pretty much a modern Midwest college dressed up in ren faire garb.