U571 - Hate it or Hate it?

I've never met a WWII movie I didn't watch for entertainments sake, and try to avoid whether it was a TRUE representation of the facts... :D

Longest Day, Patton, Bridge Too Far, Dambusters, 633 Squadron, Reach for the Sky, Colditz, Stalag 17, etc!!! ;)

My mother and you would get a long great. She the one who got me hooked into WWII stuff and history itself

dwndrgn said:
So, my two favorite 'war' movies are The Dirty Dozen and Kelly's Heroes.

I guess I'm the stereotypical 'girl' when it comes to war movies :D

Great minds must think alike, dwndrgn. I was just thinking as I read down the responses on this thread that, in all honesty, "Kelly's Heroes" is my favorite war film of all time. Some others that were pretty good were "Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison", "M*A*S*H" and "Hell in the Pacific". None of which are your basic standard war movies.

Ah, now I draw a line between an interest in war and an interest in History...

I, as I've said, watch war movies for entertainment, not for historical accuracy - otherwise I'd believe the crap in Zulu!! :D

My interest in history stretches further back... Egypt, Rome, Alexander, Ancient China, etc.. Anything in the last 500 is too recent to interest me... ;)

I had no problems with the Welsh (although it was a Welsh Regiment that also had Londoners in it, too)... But the members of the regiment were badly and inaccurately portrayed...

Eradius Lore...my grandfather was a train engineer who carried troops along the railway that led along the River Kwai. He went to his grave not ever talking about what he saw there or anywhere else across Europe. One of the only things that he ever said was, that he had lost alot of good friends over there.
I like the Band of Bro's. It was pretty good, though Saving Private Ryan seemed to be the closest to reality. It was better.

The biggest injustice is that "Enigma" was captured by the British Navy not by the Americans as it depicted in the movie, and then the best mathematicians, cryptographists and lingusts of the Empire tried to break German codes (successfully) in Bleachley Park.

Hah, what else did you expected from Americans. :rolleyes: The next movie will show onslaught on Berlin made by the US Army. ;)

The Master™ said:
I had no problems with the Welsh (although it was a Welsh Regiment that also had Londoners in it, too)... But the members of the regiment were badly and inaccurately portrayed...

Hook's a good example.

He was a valleys boy rather than a Londoner; and was by all accounts the model soldier as oppose to a millingering git. :)