U571 - Hate it or Hate it?

Tsujigiri

Waiting at the Crossroads
Ok, I have just watched the first half of U571 before I became to nauseated that I had to run off and go watch paint dry.

Not only does it possess the massive historical innacuracies but the actual screenplay and acting are sheer cr@p.

Has anyone else sat all the way through this pretentious self glorifying peice of bucolic rubbish?

Yup, I watched it all, but then I'm a sucker for war films.

It's tripe and a slap in the face for the Royal Navy who's sailors did risk their lives to help change the course of the war.

Seeing this in 2000 and Pearl Harbour in 2001 was depressing :(

I haven't watched Peal Harbour, I probably won't...at least until I hit the next patch of complete boredom and decide to risk watching something I know is bound to irritate me :)

I bought Pearl Harbour simply for a copy of the trailer - it gives me goose bumps every time I see that. Not expecting much from the film.

Not planning on seeing U571 though because it thumbs at the British and history.

It was mentioned to in another thread that a disclaimer was added to the film which stated that this event actually involved the RN. Unfortunately, this was added only after the echoes of protestation reached the filmmaker's ears. I, therefore, doubt the sincerity of such a disclaimer because the screenwriters must have known the source material from the start.

So, in saying all that: Self glorifying piece of bucolic rubbish?

Best description I've heard in a while :D

There's nothing like a good war film - and this was nothing like a good war film :)

Haven't seen it. However, on the case of war stories the movie We Were Soldiers was alright.

If you want a good war movie, go for Das Boot or Stalingrad. Both great movies.

If you want a good war movie, go for Das Boot or Stalingrad. Both great movies.

I agree. Both are fine films - with the added value of seeing the effect of the war from the other side:)

It was pretty stinky at that - I liked Guns of Navarone, Force ten from Navarone, and although it's not so much a War Movie as a movie from the War, my all time favourite, Casablanca

It got no big reaction from me. I don't even remember it, though I remember that I saw it. I always assume movies have no accuracies whatsoever so I don't look for it. What I'm looking for is a good story - true or not. Movies are entertainment for me, not educational.

I will add that I'm not much of a fan of war movies (generally they are depressinng and make me cry so I avoid them like the plague.), but there are two exceptions to that (and you'll note that both are more of a story of something that just happened to occur during wartime, not necessarily actual conflicts). So, my two favorite 'war' movies are The Dirty Dozen and Kelly's Heroes.

I guess I'm the stereotypical 'girl' when it comes to war movies :D

As war epics go, I really enjoyed Band of Brothers, heard it was supposed to be really realistic and historically accurate, dunno for sure though.

Also liked The Thin Red Line, though at the time of viewing I was about 10 or 11. Many people I've talked to since thought it was trash - any opinions ?

The Thin Red Line was a marvellous movie. The Americans make some excellent war movies, perhaps the best, but they are usually the ones that do not require any historical accuracy. :)

Band of Brothers was indeed an excellent series. They are making something of the sort for the Pacific theatre as well - worth keeping an eye out for.

I loved band of brothers usually I don’t like American war films because of the inaccuracy they usually portray but like band of brothers there are exceptions. My fav war films are bridge over the river kwai, Tora! Tora! Tora! and Tobruk.

Eradius Lore said:
I loved band of brothers usually I don’t like American war films because of the inaccuracy they usually portray but like band of brothers there are exceptions. My fav war films are bridge over the river kwai, Tora! Tora! Tora! and Tobruk.
American films have inaccuracies ???:confused: :D
My favorite war film is easily Saving Private Ryan, it is marvelous. But Band of Brothers was also very good, and they are showing it on tv now every once in a while on the History channel.

Pearl Harbor the movie showed some true factual little stories. Such as that cook on the ship and other things. It wasn't the best movie but it was a good one.

I personally like “Patton.”

:) I could watch that over and over again. Than again Patton is one of my favorite hero's from that time period.