Liked First; Didn't Like Second

Threddy

Hi, I read David Eddings' first belgariad book and I really liked it, but when I read the second one, I just couldn't get into it.
Has anyone else had this problem?
Should I just try again?
Ed - Threddy

The 2nd book did suffer from a little bit of a drop-off from the first...but overall the series is still one of the best out there.

Book 4 of the series (Castle of Wizardry) was the first fantasy book I ever read.

I'd suggest you continue the series, Threddy, the second book was a bit of a bummer, but it gets back to being better. That single volume ALMOST brought the whole series down, but not quite.

Yes, by all means continue Threddy. :) I have enjoyed reading all of his books, although I know a lot of people who haven't.

Just bought Belgararth The Sorcerer today. On recommendation from my mate. This will be the first Eddings book I've read apart from Althalus, which sort of put me off him a bit. Lets hope this one as good as i'm told!

Belgarat the Sorcerer is like an abbridged belgarid tbh - the most irritating part of the book is that it skips entire millenia in a few sentences instead dwelling on a re-write of the sotries we already knew from withing the belgariad... by the end of the book you can see whats coming a mile away and it just makes you groan a little... my advice is just read the belgariad - its by far his best work... dont bother with the mallorean unless your addicted - but if you want a slightly grittier feel to a book bick up the sparhawk series of books.

Belgarat the Sorcerer is like an abbridged belgarid tbh - the most irritating part of the book is that it skips entire millenia in a few sentences instead dwelling on a re-write of the sotries we already knew from withing the belgariad... by the end of the book you can see whats coming a mile away and it just makes you groan a little... my advice is just read the belgariad - its by far his best work... dont bother with the mallorean unless your addicted - but if you want a slightly grittier feel to a book bick up the sparhawk series of books.

Yeah, I started with his Sparhawk books-the Ruby Knight, specifically-and that got me started on fantasy totally. I went from it to the Belgariad, from the Belgariad to the Mallorean, and then off to Terry Brooks - ugh! He messed up Shannara badly! - and then to that immortal God of Fantasy and Sci Fi, Piers Anthony....why isn't there a subforum for him, btw? That's a gross injustice!

I'd continue Threddy. They do get better and taken as a whole they are quite a decent read with some very memorable characters you'll probably become quite fond of.

I read them many years ago and although as Rosie says, many people do not care for them, I enjoyed them very much. They are also a decent introduction to the genre. At least I have found them to be so.

Maybe I'll try again at somepoint, but at the moment I'm trying to work my way through David Gemmel and also His Dark Materials trilogy.
Thanks for the advice.
Ed - Threddy

Maybe I'll try again at somepoint, but at the moment I'm trying to work my way through David Gemmel and also His Dark Materials trilogy.
Thanks for the advice.
Ed - Threddy

Believe me, you'll regret it if you don't continue the series, that's really all I have to say. And, despite what others say about it, I'd go onto the Mallorean as well. Now, people, don't start throwing stones at me, but the Belgariad is only half the story, and Eddings all but screamed it near the end of the Enchanter's End Game.

I've come to this thread a bit late, but I'd add my recommendations for reading the rest of the series, too. The Belgariad does get better, as a lot of people on here have said.:)

I'm a bit confussed now, where does Belgarath come in the scheme of things?

You know, I still haven't heard anything good from other members about the Mallorean, and it was one of my favorite series....

I enjoyed the Mallorean - please dont misunderstand me... I would always say with eddings that despite anything else you may find in the stories there always really well written - but the issue I have with the Mallorean is that its a blatant re-write of the belgariad, all the same things happen, just the scenery changes a tad - its a GREAT book... just you feel a little dissapointed to be reading the same story a 2nd time is all.. then a third time with the Elenium series and a 4th time in the Tumili series.

if your able to totaly ignore the re-write aspect of the following series there highly recomended reads (but not the dreamers - oh gosh no!)

Stay far away from the dreamers. Worst fantasy i ever read.
Finish the Belgariad, then the mallorean. Only then must you read 'Belgarath the Sorcerer' and finally 'Polgara the Sorceress'
Any other way around and you will spoil it for yourself.
Book two of th eBelgariad is a bit of a schlep, but it picks up nicely in three and onwards. Malorean is in essence book 6 to 10 for the belgariad. Ol' Mr Eddings only took a break there in the middle.
Threddy As i said in the Skillgannon topic Eddings is good,but ain't no Gemmel. But it suely is readable and quite fun on occasions. Hang in there Laddie!

I always enjoyed the Belgariad and Mallorean, they are staples in my bookshelf, when I have run out of things to read I always go back to them. But yeah you have to read Belgarath and Polgara after you finish.

I also enjoyed what I call the "Sparhawkian" or Elenium and Tamuli.

I read the entire series of the belgariad & the malloreon; it was one of the best fantasy series I have read; I confess tho' i read his dreamers series & was not impressed; the refreshing thing about this series is that it is so different from the multitude of others out there. very worth reading.

Back